Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Advice on Springs

Old 11-20-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on Springs

I am looking at lowering my car 1-1.5 inches. I don't track my car and I am looking for perhaps a bit stiffer of a ride but not too much. I definitly don't want anything looser than OEM. At any rate I am looking at the following springs as I was told it is a cheaper option and coil overs are more for track. Can anyone that has these please comment on your experience with them?

Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs

Tein S.Tech Spring Kit

Or do you know of other brands that will satisfy? I don't want to do any modifications to the car to install these. Am I going down the right path? What else can I do to provide a bit more stability to the car?

What really is the difference between coil overs and springs and what makes coil overs so expensive? Newbie Question...,
Old 11-20-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDonovan,Nov 20 2008, 12:17 PM
What really is the difference between coil overs and springs and what makes coil overs so expensive? Newbie Question...,
Suspension 101.
An S2000 has coil springs and shocks. Some cars use Mc Pherson struts.
Lowering springs usually are coil-springs with less coils but are stiffer than stock because lowering the car via lowering springs will reduce the amount of suspension travel.

Coil-overs typically mean aftermarket shocks with threaded bodies with adjustable perches to adjust the height of the car. These usually use aftermarket (smaller diameter) springs that can be changed to different stiffness and height (number of coils).
Some of the cheaper coil-overs only have the adjustable spring perches so the issue of suspension travel is still there. Some of the nicer coil-overs have adjustable spring perches and lower mounts to adjusting pre-load and car height.

Another option is the Ground Control coil-overs which are universal adjustable spring perches that use Eibach springs and mount these on the stock styled shocks. The Eibach springs are the universal ones that have different spring rates and height.

Just remember, you need a stiffer spring than stock when you lower the car with lowering springs, and it is best to have matching shocks. The compression/rebound rates of the stock shocks might not match the aftermarket springs, which is why some people find lowered cars really stiff or too pogoie.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy,Nov 20 2008, 03:24 PM
Suspension 101.
An S2000 has coil springs and shocks. Some cars use Mc Pherson struts.
Lowering springs usually are coil-springs with less coils but are stiffer than stock because lowering the car via lowering springs will reduce the amount of suspension travel.

Coil-overs typically mean aftermarket shocks with threaded bodies with adjustable perches to adjust the height of the car. These usually use aftermarket (smaller diameter) springs that can be changed to different stiffness and height (number of coils).
Some of the cheaper coil-overs only have the adjustable spring perches so the issue of suspension travel is still there. Some of the nicer coil-overs have adjustable spring perches and lower mounts to adjusting pre-load and car height.

Another option is the Ground Control coil-overs which are universal adjustable spring perches that use Eibach springs and mount these on the stock styled shocks. The Eibach springs are the universal ones that have different spring rates and height.

Just remember, you need a stiffer spring than stock when you lower the car with lowering springs, and it is best to have matching shocks. The compression/rebound rates of the stock shocks might not match the aftermarket springs, which is why some people find lowered cars really stiff or too pogoie.
thanks for the lesson, I apreciate the time you took to explain it all. Which do you suggest and if springs of the two I selected which would you go with? If coilovers which do you suggest to allow me to lower and stiffen slightly?
Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 PM
S2S

if your planning to lower it only 1'' just springs will be fine. they wont affect the struts cause the stock struts are pretty good.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by S2S,Nov 20 2008, 04:29 PM
if your planning to lower it only 1'' just springs will be fine. they wont affect the struts cause the stock struts are pretty good.
OK to an 1.5 drop? Which springs to you like? Tien or Eibach?
Old 11-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Community Organizer

tein is 1" all around i believe

If you want 1.5" i'd go with Espelirs or KGMM
Old 11-20-2008, 06:06 PM
S2S

i havent tried the teins so i couldnt answer that. the pro series are designed to have a little comfort. i dont know how the teins are.
and the ibach pro series are 1'' only as well although companies usually make more than one style dpending on the car.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Since it is going to be street driving only, springs alone with stock shocks *should* be ok.
Personally, if you want a 1.5 inch drop, I would start saving up for some new shocks. Luckily your car is new, so the shocks will not wear out yet, but they will prematurely with the lowering job.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy,Nov 20 2008, 08:29 PM
Since it is going to be street driving only, springs alone with stock shocks *should* be ok.
Personally, if you want a 1.5 inch drop, I would start saving up for some new shocks. Luckily your car is new, so the shocks will not wear out yet, but they will prematurely with the lowering job.
same goes for if its just 1" drop?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For street driving, you'll be fine with springs... trust me.

As for drop and rates, find what you like.

I honestly prefer Espelir ASD springs. They drop 1''F and 1.2''R. While it seems unbalanced, I think the car has a natural rake forward and more gap in the rear. These level it out. They are also pretty stiff, which is fun and easier on stock shocks.

Eibach and Tein are both 1'' F/R, and have softer rates.

Check the "Aftermarket Modifications" forum for the Official Spring Thread and all possible options...

Quick Reply: Advice on Springs