Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

AGM Battery for S2K?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AGM Battery for S2K?

I've been amused by the over-the-top, well-staged commercials for CdnTire's new AGM battery, but looking beyond the hype and hoopla I have learned that there are real benefits to AGM construction, especially with respect to vibration tolerance and energy density.

There are batteries available to fit the S2K (my old battery is beginning to show signs of age) so I would consider spending a bit extra for the AGM format. I'm aware of the MotoMaster, Optima, Exide and NorthStar brands but don't know about their quality. I've read mixed reviews for the expensive Optima circular-cell batteries.

Has anyone had any experience with AGM?
Old 04-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I haven't seen the AGM ads. I use a Kirkland one myself and it has served me well!
Old 04-13-2015, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Optima Yellowtop already installed in the car by the previous owner.
I have no additonal loads on the battery other than a dash cam that is only powered when the car's on.
No issues, though the battery does become too weak to start the car after not driving it for two weeks, I suspect this is common with the size of the battery but just keep it on a battery tender if you don't plan on driving it for more than a week or so.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the motomaster agm. Fits like oem but has a handle built in so you can easily take the battery in and out if you wish

I think it's made by exide. Honestly you are not going to notice anything different from daily driving other than it's going to withstand battery drainage better than lead acid batteries. If you drive regularly and don't accidentally leave your lights on then you will be fine with a normal battery (just make sure your water levels are good even when it says no maintenance)

It does seem to drain to the point where my alarm will go off and it will be too weak to start after 2 weeks tho, but not sure if my compustar with proximity sensor causes additional drain or not. Anyways for seasonal nature of this car that's why i went with agm.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 PM

I dropped by Edmonds Batteries this afternoon, and they sell an Exide that fits the 2K, at almost the same price as the MotoMaster, so you may be correct about who actually makes it. CdnTire offers a 5-year warranty versus the Exide 4-year, so it's probably better to go with MotoMaster. Having that little pop-up handle is convenient for taking the battery out for the winter. I have a couple of dashcams that keep running when the car is parked, so it would be nice to have extra time before the voltage drop triggers camera shutdown.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ah in that case, pick one that has the highest reserve capacity. The Exide/Motomaster AGM is 75 mins versus the stock of 60 or so...

I believe the Optima Yellow top agm is 66 mins.

Not sure about the Johnson Control (Kirkland/Interstate/Die Hard/BCAA) ones...
Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 AM

Picked up the battery at CdnTire ... got the last one they had in stock at Market Square, but they're readily available.

Initially they gave me the wrong one that fits the Civic/Accord/CRV - size 51R with the terminals reversed. The 2K takes a size 51. They did informally tell me it's a re-branded Exide battery with an extra year's warranty.

I'll swap out the old one when I get the car back from Ken at Autowerkes.

I'm really looking forward to meeting lots of S2K folks at the Duffy Loop and Mount Baker runs this spring. It'll be my first.