Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

need advice on a ap2

Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on a ap2

hi guys! im looking into getting an ap2 in the near future. ive been playing around with civics and now its time to move on to better toys. ive learned that it is a pain in the ass to find a clean s2000 in the lower mainland. alot of the omes for sale are us imports and im trying to stay away from them, but its nearly impossible to find a clean local s2000 that hasnt been modified to hell or that hasnt been in a bad accident.

it seems the s2000 comunity in vancouver is a tight nit group so maybe someone can point me in the right direction to a clean local ap2.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 07:32 AM

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=648317

Owner is on here too.

Be patient and look for the right car. I found it hard to find a car that hadn't been in major accidents too when I was in the market for an S. Took awhile but it was worth it.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will find that most of us have US imports..., way cheaper and more to choose from. I got mine out of Florida via a Broker and it cost me about 6K less then it would have had I purchased in Canada. The only drawback is if you have warantee work you need to take it back over to Washington State. In 3 years of ownership, thankfully no warranted work. They are Honda's.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

nothing wrong with a US import at the right price.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

US imports are nice. Lots of choices even the most coveted CRs. Lots of low mileage examples. and if you buy it from the hotter states theres a lot less chance for rust and stuff. Just make sure if your using a broker, they check everything. Cause there have been examples of broker brought up cars that have hidden damage
Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 PM

I also have a US car... I don't see why they are poorly regarded, particularly with the s2k being able to change from MPH to KM so easily.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:42 PM

hey thanks for the replies! only reason im TRYING to stay away from us imports is im a tech in a dealership and 99% of the us vehicles that come in our shop always have problems. clean US records, but dig deeper and you'll find hurrican katrina cars, huge body damage, poorly instaled dtrls that sets all the electronics to shit and etc.

found a local low km car but it has a 8k icbc dec on it. it says right rear repaired on the report. should i stay away from this? is 8k damage on a s2k alot?

also honda way in abbotsford has a big inventory on s2ks but they are all US imports. any body deal with them before?

i sold my car so im hoping to find a clean ap2 in the bear future so please help me put guys! thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hopalong
hey thanks for the replies! only reason im TRYING to stay away from us imports is im a tech in a dealership and 99% of the us vehicles that come in our shop always have problems. clean US records, but dig deeper and you'll find hurrican katrina cars, huge body damage, poorly instaled dtrls that sets all the electronics to shit and etc.

found a local low km car but it has a 8k icbc dec on it. it says right rear repaired on the report. should i stay away from this? is 8k damage on a s2k alot?

also honda way in abbotsford has a big inventory on s2ks but they are all US imports. any body deal with them before?

i sold my car so im hoping to find a clean ap2 in the bear future so please help me put guys! thanks
Depends on when the damage occurred, 8k on an s2000, to say is not alot would be a lie, to say that its a lot is also not truthful. If you look at the costs of some of the parts costs that Honda lists, the list price on the parts are pretty pricey, but to incur 8k worth of damage on the right rear, it'd be alot more than just cosmetics. Check the suspension to see if that was replaced on that end, as well as frame, look underneath the car make sure theres no ripples in the metal because the S2000 use an X-bone monocoque structure. If there was damage to the frame area around the suspension the car may not drive as true as before. Even if the frame was straightened, it'd liken it to a piece of paper. If you crumple it, it will never be the same piece of paper unfolded. For an area like for example around the rad, it wouldn't be as concerning as the area where the suspension is to me.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

So you're avoiding US s2ks because of the possibility that some might have bad histories, but are willing to consider a local car that you know has a substantial accident claim?

Really, if you're a discerning buyer, buying an imported s2k isn't overly risky. Check panel alignment, paint match, vin tags, see how it drives, etc. These cars all have their own little idiosyncrasies, so it's good to look at a few, not just one. And I'd avoid dealership cars, mainly because they're somewhat overpriced.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:30 AM

I just bought my first S2000 a few weeks ago. (from The Honda Way)
It`s a Spa Yellow `01 w/ an OEM hard top, it has only 36,000 kms.
It is a Florida car...w/ all matching vins, clean status...And they
had a carfax prooving it all. I had a good experience there