S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Vancouver BC S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/vancouver-bc-s2000-owners-112/)
-   -   OT: How's School ? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/vancouver-bc-s2000-owners-112/ot-hows-school-147492/)

swoosh 09-04-2003 11:33 AM

OT: How's School ?

For those of you who started back at school, How is it?

Indecision 09-04-2003 12:38 PM

I'm not in school any more.. but personally I would rather be in school than working :)

On the school topic, apparently this year's universities undergrads are among the smartest since UBC and SFU started keeping track of entrance grades. :thumbup: for those who made it in.

S-ToDo 09-04-2003 02:24 PM

me like school......... ^^

viper11885 09-04-2003 03:41 PM

about ubc, the requirements were really high this year.. i don't know exact percentages, but it was high.. commerce was at like 91% while sciences were at 89%.. i heard that dentistry was only at 86%..don't know the others though... i believe that these marks were dropped a bit though.. but they went by this when they first looked at the marks after the first provincials of last year.

JL9000 09-04-2003 08:38 PM

Originally posted by viper11885
about ubc, the requirements were really high this year.. i don't know exact percentages, but it was high.. commerce was at like 91% while sciences were at 89%.. i heard that dentistry was only at 86%..don't know the others though... i believe that these marks were dropped a bit though.. but they went by this when they first looked at the marks after the first provincials of last year.
Sounds about right.
This year's admission average was roughly the same as the year I went in which was the previous year.

And back to topic...
I would like to go to school for the rest of my life !:D

geppetto 09-05-2003 02:20 PM

What you are seeing is not a reflection of how smart students are, it is a reflection of grade creep. The reality is that the average student today is about as smart as the average student from 10 years ago. The political environment over the last decade has created a system where teachers are pressured to have kids bring home good grades. Let's face it, most of us are average, but if we bring home a report card full of C's, the parents are not happy.

Things are gonna get even worse as schools are now forced to demonstrate how they have improved themselves. Don't get me wrong, I think that there is room for improvement, but this new system will just result in a bunch of window dressing.

There is one exception to the above. Math has jumped ahead in the last decade. Much of this was a result in the asian influence, with students from other countries pushing the system to advance to their level. We are doing much better in math now.

I am quite happy to be at school... It looks like my classes are gonna be pretty good.

Indecision 09-05-2003 02:53 PM

Once again we're back to the topic of responsible parents :)

The first week of school is always good...just you wait until the kids are settled down. That's when the trouble makers aren't shy about making a big mess ;)

PWRMKR 09-05-2003 03:57 PM

School Over here's ok, But they are buckling down this year. Not really with academics but with just school rules. I just started "high school" like 3 days ago, now in 9th grade but I'm still in Jr. High, and my bro is in his last year of High school. For me I'm getting more and more worried, soon i'll be going to College and getting my life in order, But its really scary! But then again, I cant wait to get settled in. :)

PWRMKR 09-05-2003 03:59 PM

VTECGRL 09-05-2003 04:03 PM

Opps I was on my dads User name! ^ ;)