Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Tools for AP1 Valve Retainer Replacement in Vic?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools for AP1 Valve Retainer Replacement in Vic?

I inspected the valve retainers in my recently acquired 2002 - they look like almost all of them are recessed and therefore cracked. Comparing them to the photo's in various threads, I'm sure that mine need to be replaced ASAP.

I think I'm going to have to pull the cams and have a closer look - maybe tonight if I can find the time.

I don't have a top-side valve spring compressor or the adapter for pressurizing the cylinder... I was wondering if anybody in/near Victoria has done this replacement?

I may be able to do a Canadian Tire or Lordco tool rental and/or buy them. It might be easier to simply find a shop here in town that is aware of this issue and get them to replace them - are there any good S2000 friendly shops in Victoria?

At this point, I have most of the disassembly done - so I figured it would just be easiest for me to get the parts and just do it. My compression tester does not have a coupling for pressurizing the cylinder though...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-25-2009, 03:42 PM

Damn...

I can't get the keepers until mid October! The retainers are close to two weeks. I'm not used to this Honda parts thing - Of the 6 or 7 parts I've tried to buy at the dealer so far - only one has been in stock! I tried several dealers on the island and even a couple in Alberta...

I'm worried about driving the car - at least one of the retainers is VERY low. The last thing I need is to drop a valve.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:51 PM

F20C retainers in Vancouver! That will get me running...
Old 08-25-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the parts from the states. I'm 99% sure they'll have it within a week. They are A LOT cheaper as well (less than 50% of what it costs here).

As for tools, I can sell you the tools I bought to do my retainers since I don't need them anymore. I have the modified spring compressor and also the adapter hose to keep pressurize the cylinder (spark plug thread to NPT).
Old 08-25-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Rob, Ron is a good guy, puchased my coilovers from him.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 PM

Order the parts either through Majestic or Hardtop guy.
It is going to be way cheaper than going through the dealers locally.

Only down side to Majestic, you have to ship to an address in the US.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Al + Dave, you guys are too kind

Some tips for you for changing the retainers.

For getting the keepers out if you find the tool is too hard to get into place, you can use a socket over the retainer and hit it with a mallet. If the retainer is allowed to move down far enough, it can free up the keepers. The risk is that the keepers may end up somewhere you don't want them to be. So make sure you plug up any holes in the head.

For putting the retainers back into the tough spots, what I did was compress the valve spring with the tool. Then I used 4 zip ties to tie them closed. I drop the compressed spring into place and lined up the retainers and keepers and then I cut the zip ties. I found that trick to work very well but unfortunately I was almost finished all the retainers when I made that trick up... Saves a lot of headache.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 AM

Also, it is cheaper to order the retainers and clips as a kit than it is to buy them individually.

My mechanic helped me learn this the hard way.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:51 AM

Thanks, guys.

I don't see any cracks on the top sides of the retainers. I'm going to look very closely tonight to make sure.

I think I'll simply take it very easy on the engine and wait until I can get the AP2 parts. Wish me luck, I don't want to drop a valve!

Quick Reply: Tools for AP1 Valve Retainer Replacement in Vic?