Want to Buy Looking for something? Post requests for parts in this forum. WTB Only.

Possible Trade: Built MR2 Turbo for S2000 {Florida}

Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Trade: Built MR2 Turbo for S2000 {Florida}

Just wondering if any S2K guys have interest in a 91 MR2 Turbo. The car is well taken care of with no expense spared. All maintenance is up to date, and oil changes are done about every 1200 miles. I am in no rush to trade, and don't mind keeping the car or waiting months for the right S2K. A dollar value on the car would be $10-12k. A lot of time and effort has been put into this car, and many people/shops can vouch for it. I do not track, race, or abuse the car.

The car started out as an NA MR2 hardtop. These models are hard to come by, since most of them are t-tops which are prone to leaks and also add a bit of weight to the chassis. This is the lightest chassis of them all (26XXlbs) with manual everything. (manual locks, windows, and mirrors). Also no power-steering or ABS for a more direct road feel. The steering isn't heavy at all since there is no weight over the front of the car.
The chassis has about 200k miles, but pretty much everything has been swapped out.
The car is reliable and these motors are bullet-proof. Full boost doesn't come on until 4.5k+ RPM so below that it's very tame. It's been my daily for a while now and has never let me down.

The pros:
It's running on a 1998 Frankenstein motor (3sgte bottom, 3sge head/manifold). It has the benefit of a fully built bottom end able to handle high boost, and a high flowing head able to rev to 8k RPM. It's paired with a 93 NA MR2 transmission. Although the turbo (E153) transmissions are stronger, I went with the S54 because they are cheap and easy to come by ($200-$300 in decent condition), and they also have shorter gears which come in handy outside of boost. It hasn't given me any problems so far (I never launch the car or "pop the clutch").
The car makes 500+whp at 25+psi. I do drive the car almost daily so it's currently running at 14lbs on E85 and makes 350whp/270wtq. R-comp tires hook in all gears. Tuned by Kenny Sampson in South Florida.
It's running on E85. For those who are weary, everything from the fuel tank, to the pump, to the lines and injectors are all alcohol friendly. The only way E85 can cause damage is if left sitting in the tank for more than a couple of weeks (I drive it almost daily so no worries here). I chose E85 because it burns cooler, is much less prone to knock, and can run at leaner AFR's (cruising AFR is 17+)
Coolant temp never goes past 210 degrees in normal driving with the radiator fans off. With the fans on, I can enjoy temps around 190 even with spirited driving.
Air temp is almost always around 100-120 degrees Fahrenheit.

The cons (most, if not all will be fixed if I keep the car long enough):
It's running on a V2 megasquirt (V3 is the latest) which doesn't have as many inputs/outputs, so the stock ECU had to be retained to control the starter and AC. The radiator fans also have a manual switch (you really don't need to ever turn them on unless you let the car idle on a very sunny day for long duration).
Some parts of the car do show wear, such as interior plastic parts)
The previous owner of the car had the AC converted to R134a, which IMO isn't a good idea. The AC works, but isn't as cold as it should be. I suspect a dying compressor (could be related to the conversion).
Minor oil leak from one of the oil lines. Does not drip.

Mod list

Exterior:
New Lexus Pearl White paint (The car was originally a different shade of Toyota white)
Authentic TOM's side skirts
Aeroware front lip
JDM rear mud guards
94+ Kouki tail lights

Interior:
MOMO 330mm steering wheel with NRG quick release and hub
Blox weighted shift knob
TRD short shifter
OEM Supra Recaro seats
Boost, AFR, oil pressure, and intercooler temp gauges. Megasquirt can also connect to Android devices via bluetooth for more gauges.

Suspension/wheels/brakes:
KYB Shocks with Tanabe springs
94+ sway bars with poly bushings
Front and rear strut bars
94+ turbo front and rear hubs/calipers
Work Equip rims (16x9 rear, 16x7.5 front)
Toyo R888 R-comp tires

Performance:
buit 1998 JDM 3rd gen 3SGTE bottom end, wiseco pistons, short peened rods, ARP studs etc.
JDM 3rd gen 3SGE head
Master Power S60 turbo (custom manifold/downpipe)
Koyo radiator with high power fans
7" SPAL fan on the side vent
ACT 6 puck unsprung clutch
EMS dual exhaust
94 low mileage S54 transmission
Megasquirt ECU
Walbro 460lph fuel pump rewired for full voltage
Aeromotive high-flow stainless steel mesh in-line fuel filter
-6AN braided feed and return fuel lines
Fuel Lab fuel pressure regulator
FIC 1100CC fuel injectors
Water-air intercooler with its own pump/reservoir and a front/side mount heat exchanger
water-air oil cooler
MSD coil pack
OEM Supra alternator
Tial Wastegate
Greddy catch can
Electronic boost controller (controlled by MegaSquirt)
Tial BOV

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of things, but that's the gist of it. Onto the pics:

Also, here's an RSX that I've built and sold in the past

Build Thread here: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...888&highlight=
Old 11-25-2013, 04:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for you! Kenny is the man, known him awhile. Glws/t