S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-tires-56/)
-   -   Another squared vs. staggered thread (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-tires-56/another-squared-vs-staggered-thread-1160938/)

matt.the.lee 09-09-2016 09:23 AM

Another squared vs. staggered thread

Been doing some research the last hour and I still couldn't find a clear, cut answer.
I bought a new set of squared wheels, looking for tire sizes to run on this set.
My car is primarily used for street use, for me to enjoy on the weekends. I don't track the car nor do I plan on it in the future.

I currently have a set of 17x9 +38 Regamasters waiting to be put on my car.
In the past I ran 17x9/9.5 RPF1s 225/255 staggered and my most recent setup was 17x9 +38 squared Blitz 01s on 215/245 staggered.
What I'm looking to accomplish is a nice comfortable street setup and keeping the maximum amount of rear traction as I possibly can.

I've been debating a 255/40 squared setup, but now thinking of going 245/255 instead. My only mod as far as suspension goes is coilovers (Stance GR+ Pro 12k spring rates all around.) So for someone like me who drives the car on a daily basis every now and then off the track, is there an advantage to going non-staggered? If anyone can provide some more insight I'd greatly appreciate it.

B serious 09-09-2016 09:49 AM

If you're not tracking the car, it comes down to aesthetics and desired fitment modifications. How do you want the wheels to fill the fenders. And what alignment modifications are you willing to live with.

Another concern is ability to rotate the tyres.

matt.the.lee 09-09-2016 09:53 AM

Ability rotate tires isn't exactly high on my list although it would be nice to be able to do so.
My fronts are rolled and slightly pulled, rears are rolled with tabs relocated.

My last setup was having an aggressive track look and that's what I'm looking to do with this setup. My main concern is street driveability staggered vs. squared.

B serious 09-09-2016 10:03 AM

Driveability like....how much and how often the tires contact the fender? Or something else?

B serious 09-09-2016 10:12 AM

If you are able to mitigate whatever concerns you have about running non-staggered, 255/40 all around will be the most agressive looking without increasing sidewall height too much.

245/40 all around would also be a consideration if you want to be very low.

Everyone's eyes are different. Take a look in the "agressive/meaty tire and wheel fitment" thread in the gallery. Find the look you're going for.

I have 17X10 +50's with 255's. I don't rub on anything (-3 deg all around...fronts could be dialed down for more snugness). Your fitment is about as agressive as mine.

Tires fit differently too. I have 255 71R's. They're skinny and have a more "square" shape than RS3's in the same size.

On 17x9's 71R's are perfectly squared up. RS3's and Z2's need like a 9.5 or 10 to square up.

Bullwings 09-09-2016 10:22 AM

I ran staggered 225/255 on stock OEMs for 2 years. DD car with 25 track days over that period.

I then went to 17x9 square with 255 square.

Then I went to 17x9/17x10 stagger with 255 square mount.

I'm now on 17x9 square with 255 square for the street, and 17x10 square with 255 square for track. The car is still my dedicated DD. I like having the ability to rotate front to back, and now with over 40+ track days under my belt, I like a loosely setup car. It's fun. I have no problems with daily driving conditions.

Mods
-stock aero
-custom valved coilovers 700lbs/600lbs (~12kg/10kg) springs
-cr front sway bar / '06 rear sway bar
-camber joints up front
- -3.0 camber all around
-stock motor, HFC, oem exhaust
-vehicle weight 2912lbs with me in the car, full tank of gas
-front BBK / 2-piece vented rear rotor

matt.the.lee 09-09-2016 07:33 PM

When I meant in terms of driveability, I was referring to what I've read so far on how "tail happy" these cars get when going squared tires (255s all around) and was really wondering how often that happens as I do like to do spirited driving every now and then. I still consider myself an inexperienced driver and never really had a situation with the car oversteering. From what I've read it seems like the only way to make the car more "neutral" is to get stiffer sway bars up front?

B serious 09-09-2016 07:45 PM

I don't think you'll see that problem on the street.

Obviously, the car will tend to understeer less (not oversteer more). So when the transition finally goes to oversteer, you'll be going faster. So...don't drive like an insane person.

s2000Junky 09-09-2016 08:00 PM

Your wheel offset choice is going to dictate everything here, so your question is kind of moot. Your not going to be able to fit more then a 235/40 up front and 225/45 will probably be the best option simply due to tire options. So 225/255 stagger it is. But the rear will still be tight, so dial in enough camber.

As far as non staggered, it depends on if your running an ap1 or ap2 and if you have any sway bar or spring rate changes done to accommodate. On a stock application the ap2 is more balanced with a non stag set up because it was softened considerably to push rather then over steer like the ap1 (esp the MY00-01) but ap2 will still tend to over steer when pushing it. On an Ap1 its suicide for the street if you dont have drifting skills in a short wheel base car, because your going to find yourself doing that a lot if your spirited at all in your driving habits. I never recommend going non stag in an unprepared ap1, especially if your not used to/comfortable with controlling this car with the rear end hanging out.

matt.the.lee 09-10-2016 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky (Post 24058797)
Your wheel offset choice is going to dictate everything here, so your question is kind of moot. Your not going to be able to fit more then a 235/40 up front and 225/45 will probably be the best option simply due to tire options. So 225/255 stagger it is. But the rear will still be tight, so dial in enough camber.

As far as non staggered, it depends on if your running an ap1 or ap2 and if you have any sway bar or spring rate changes done to accommodate. On a stock application the ap2 is more balanced with a non stag set up because it was softened considerably to push rather then over steer like the ap1 (esp the MY00-01) but ap2 will still tend to over steer when pushing it. On an Ap1 its suicide for the street if you dont have drifting skills in a short wheel base car, because your going to find yourself doing that a lot if your spirited at all in your driving habits. I never recommend going non stag in an unprepared ap1, especially if your not used to/comfortable with controlling this car with the rear end hanging out.

I was hoping you'd chime in.
In terms of aesthetics I have the fender modifications to accommodate 9j +38 on 255s in the front.
I'm still learning about the whole suspension part of these cars and the supporting mods to properly run a nonstaggered setup. I do have an AP1 and my only mod is coilovers (12k/12k spring rates)