S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-tires-56/)
-   -   Old topic TIRE Choice - New post (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-tires-56/old-topic-tire-choice-new-post-1182833/)

orclean1 03-17-2018 08:15 AM

Old topic TIRE Choice - New post

Car driven in dry conditions , spirited drives , no track or auto cross, I can buy two different sets for the same price of $620.00 delivered , which tire is best for this s2000?
michelin SS pilots
bridgestone pp s04

S_DosMil 03-17-2018 04:19 PM

Simple answer. Whatever you want. Both are great tires. I personally have Michelin because of preference. The Bridgestone seems to be on an equal playing field. My PSS have never let me down in dry or wet. They have seen a couple autocross days and one beginner track day. They worked fine for my driving abilities. Currently have 5,000 miles on mine and seems to be quite a bit of tire left. This debate could go on forever I would imagine so just pull the trigger on the better deal if there is one.

Car Analogy 03-18-2018 08:14 AM

Both of those are older designs that are still excellent tires. They were the go to choices for street only tires in max performance category for many years. They are both a bargain now.

Either one will be an ideal choice for your stated needs. They will not be noisy, they will last a long time, they will easily handle any rain you might encounter, and give all the traction a sane person would ever need on the street.

The mpss has slightly better traction. The s04 has arguably slightly better road feel (stiffer sidewalls, which the S seems to favor).

Either one makes an excellent choice.

Presto88 03-18-2018 06:28 PM

Thanks for the input. I was looking at those pp s04's and they really are a bargain! The OP's usage exactly describes my needs, so I guess it's a done deal.

orclean1 03-19-2018 09:24 AM

i purchased a set of Michelin pilot SS from Discount tire out the door for $563.00 , o yea they are brand new LOL LOL

Birdybog 03-27-2018 11:31 AM

Any feedback on these from BFGoodrich - G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S? Stock 2001 AP1 wheels.

Car Analogy 03-28-2018 10:07 AM

All Seasons? On an S? Not recommended.

If you need to drive in winter conditions, get spare wheels with winter tires. Otherwise get UHP summer or better...

engifineer 03-28-2018 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Birdybog (Post 24438742)
Any feedback on these from BFGoodrich - G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S? Stock 2001 AP1 wheels.

I am assuming you drive the S like a sports car, and would recommend getting some good summer tires. Bridgestone RE-71R's are one of the grippiest summer street tires out there, but wear a bit fast. If you autox, you wont care about the life, since they are pretty much tied for the #1 street class autox tire. But for daily driving only and carving some corners on the street, the Hankook RS4 or the Dunlop Star Specs tend to be almost as good (you wont tell the performance difference from the stones on the street) and I think last a bit longer. But there are a lot of other good summer street tires.

If you do drive it in the winter and it gets below 40 F a lot where you are and even snows ... and you HAVE to drive the S in the winter, then I would get winter tires. While you spend more now, you spend no more than usual going forward since you use each set about half the time.

Now, you could be ok on all seasons if you are just driving it as a regular old car, but not many people buy the S without wanting to beat on it sometimes ... and good tires are a big thing then ;)

Mine sits on stock wheels and all seasons in the winter, but all it does is sit in my garage until the first spring rains wash the salt off the roads :P

crxb 03-28-2018 10:26 AM

I just bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - very happy with

Birdybog 03-29-2018 01:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback.