Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 coilover/lowering question

Old 12-17-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2007 coilover/lowering question

I know this has probably been covered on here somewhere but there's so much info I'm having a hard time sorting out what's what.

Here's what I have

2007 S2000
Wheels: Stock AP2v2 wheels
Front tires: PSS 215/45/R17
Rear tires: PSS 245/40/R17
All suspension is stock
Car will be street driven

I want to drop the car about 1" and was considering a set of Ohlins Road and Track or Bilstein PSS9. I was also thinking 10mm spacers in the front and 15mm spacers in the rear.

My questions:

1. can I do this without modifying/rolling my fenders?
2. is the extra cash for the Ohlins worthwhile over the PSS9?
3. would I require any other modifications to the car if I go this route?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by BootsS2K; 12-17-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

1) yes. No fender rolling required.
2) if you only plan to street drive- go with Bilstein. If you would be interested in autocrossing or tracking the car later down the road, go with Ohlins.
3) factory wheels do not have reliefs in the mounting surface, so you will have to buy spacers with integrated studs, and cut the factory studs flush to the spacer surface after mounting. This becomes an issue if you ever want to remove the spacer or switch to aftermarket wheels- new wheel bearings and hubs would be required.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
2) if you only plan to street drive- go with Bilstein. If you would be interested in autocrossing or tracking the car later down the road, go with Ohlins.
3) factory wheels do not have reliefs in the mounting surface, so you will have to buy spacers with integrated studs, and cut the factory studs flush to the spacer surface after mounting. This becomes an issue if you ever want to remove the spacer or switch to aftermarket wheels- new wheel bearings and hubs would be required.
Are the Bilstein better than stock (AP1) for the track? I'm interested as well and my car will see very minimum track days, I just won't get the stickiest tires.

Would the Ohlins be considered as jarring/overkill on the streets? (They also seem to be x2 expensive!)

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
Thanks for your info. Sucks I'd have to to cut the factory studs. That may be a deal breaker. I want to be able to return the car to stock with little effort/cost.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by BootsS2K
Thanks for your info. Sucks I'd have to to cut the factory studs. That may be a deal breaker. I want to be able to return the car to stock with little effort/cost.
Does that apply to ALL coilover systems? And across all generations of S2000? Thanks!
Old 12-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Cutting the studs has nothing to do with the coilovers it is because of the spacers. Personally I would maybe put a 5mm spacer in front as it will be a little safer fender wise. Your other option if you wanted the 10mm spacer is having longer studs installed but thats also not super easy to return to stock. For the rear 15mm is fine. Also I think the OEM wheels do have reliefs on the inside so you may not need to trim studs.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...006-s2000.html

Pictures of the inside of an AP2V2 wheel there and you can clearly see there is indents. Maybe check your wheels?
The following users liked this post:
BootsS2K (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Cutting the studs has nothing to do with the coilovers it is because of the spacers. Personally I would maybe put a 5mm spacer in front as it will be a little safer fender wise. Your other option if you wanted the 10mm spacer is having longer studs installed but thats also not super easy to return to stock. For the rear 15mm is fine. Also I think the OEM wheels do have reliefs on the inside so you may not need to trim studs.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...006-s2000.html

Pictures of the inside of an AP2V2 wheel there and you can clearly see there is indents. Maybe check your wheels?
Yeah, I do believe the AP2v2 wheels have the indentions
Old 12-17-2018, 10:43 AM

So, if I don't intent to use spacers... it's no issue then?
Old 12-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Correct. They are 2 totally separate mods that don't effect one another.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:52 AM

Will camber be an issue with a 1" drop? Would an alignment post install sort everything out?

Quick Reply: 2007 coilover/lowering question