Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

245 PS4S or Conti Sport's 255?

Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 245 PS4S or Conti Sport's 255?

Michelin PSS & PS4S do not come in 255 which I always wanted for the rear. I've always rocked Michelin's PSS 245 and now that I need new rears do I go for PS4S @ 245 or Conti @ 255?

Edit:
Using tire rack's (actual tread width) data, it seems that Continentals are .3" @ 245 and .5" @ 255 wider than Michelin's 245 offering. With that being said I understand that PS4S might still outperform Conti due to design.

I need help figuring out which one will have more ultimate grip. The Michelin's 245 PS4S or Conti's 255? Also, not so sure we can rely on wear ratings these days.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The size difference is imperceptible on the street, but the P4S is far and away the best everyday street tire. The RE71r and others will beat it at the track, but on the street, the P4S is far more well-rounded.

Going 245 square on aftermarket wheels will yield more performance than a 255 rear. And with new wheels, 255/35-18 or 265/35-18 are both possibilities.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:08 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
... but the P4S is far and away the best everyday street tire.
Over the Continental Extremecontact Sport tires? Not sure I buy into that. Based on what? Have you driven both?

OP - if you are using these tires on the street all of the tires you are considering will provide more grip than you will ever need. I'd say make your decision based on other criteria, not grip.

Last edited by rpg51; 09-15-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:54 AM

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=223

Best handling, best ride, lowest noise, quickest lap times.

The Conti is cheaper, but not by that much. There are tires in those sizes much less expensive than either the Michelin or the Conti.

Right now Michelin has a $70 rebate. It expires on Sept 20. At Costco, the $70 rebate is applied at checkout rather than as a reimbursement, and installation is 1¢ (one cent). The Costco promotion ends Sunday, Sept. 16 which is tomorrow. So this is probably the weekend to make your move since the prices go up next week.

Note: you can order the tires online (Costco would have to order them from the distributor anyway) and lock in the different promotions even if installed later.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:32 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

The way I read that review is that the Michelin and the Conti tires we are comparing are virtually identical in a largely subjective test at TireRack, with the Michelin edging out the others slightly. If you drill down and look at the "data" they report the differences between the tires are tiny. Remember the subjective reviews on Tire Rack are offered by folks usually driving a high end sedan, BMW and the like. They are not S owners and they are not driving the tires on a car even remotely comparable to the S. I value the subjective opinions of members here more. The Contis are $580 delivered. The Michelins are $708 delivered after rebate. IMO, never in a million years will you notice any difference of consequence between these tires driving on the street. Both are good tires.

Another option for S owners who are driving on the street is the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. It gets excellent reviews from folks on this site. (for example see Nerd-Vol comments here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-t...years-1187576/). I believe they are available in the wider 255 that the OP is looking for. The Indy 500 is just $446 delivered. Again, based on S2ki members reviews, I seriously doubt you will ever discern any performance difference of note between the Indy 500 and the others you are looking at for driving your S on the street. $708 minus $446 is $262.00. At the rate these tires wear on the S, especially in the rear, you are tossing away an awful lot of hard earned cash for no discernible difference in performance for the street driver.

I can't speak from personal experience about the Indy 500 - (read the favorable reviews of other members sprinkled about these pages) - but I can speak about the Contis. I am very happy with the Conti's (I use 16" tires) after about 8K miles so far this summer. I feel no need whatsoever for a better or more expensive tires. The tires have been excellent in wet and dry and they stick like glue. They are quiet and they handle extremely well. They are wearing quite well too. To each his own. But, that is my assessment. I have previously used Bridgestone S04s and I liked those tires as well. Next time I buy tires, I'm planning to try the Firehawks.

Tirerack is great, I have bought many tires from them and their reviews and the data they amass, as well as the customer service they provide, is very helpful. But, you have to read these reviews with a some degree of critical thought and skepticism.

Here is a review comparing the Conti Extremecontact Sport to the last Michelin max performance summer tire, the Pilot Super Sport, https://motoiq.com/tested-continenta...ntact-sport/6/. It might be of interest to some. The conclusion at the very end of the long review is this: "With an 86% increase in handling stiffness, 20% increase in tread life, and only a 6% increase in ride stiffness from the DW, the ExtremeContact™ Sport is now an option that has no real drawbacks to the PSS, is claimed to have better wet traction and hydroplaning resistance, and comes in at a more affordable price point."

Last edited by rpg51; 09-16-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:28 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks all. I ended up getting the PS4S Michelins and otw back hit a rainstorm and flashfloods. Maybe a blessing that I had 245 instead of 255 tire patch lol but they performed fantastic so much so I feel like they're better than the PSS for sure or old old DW I had. For me it's wet performance followed by comfort and then extreme grip that I need in that order. It's a street/daily with a supercharger so grip is always nice.

Edit: Comfort on new Michelins is a noticeably improved over PSS. I live in Boston and roads suck so I almost jumped for joy when I noticed it.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Thank you for the follow up review op. I am also eyeing a set of ps4s BUT in 245/45/17 trim, which os a bit taller than oem size for more comfort, 4%taller gearing/ and increased/better straightline traction as im planning to push 600whp through them(planning to run fancy traction controls).
Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by F1TwoThousand
Thank you for the follow up review op. I am also eyeing a set of ps4s BUT in 245/45/17 trim, which os a bit taller than oem size for more comfort, 4%taller gearing/ and increased/better straightline traction as im planning to push 600whp through them(planning to run fancy traction controls).
In the front, others have had problems with a tire that tall, although they were using 275/40-17. Even in the rear, the taller tire may have adverse effects on the geometry. You may want to stick with something a bit more conventional, such as 255/40-17 square, or go to 18", get wheels, roll/stretch the fenders, and go with 295/30-19 square or with a 265/35-18 front or 255/35-18 front. It is possible to go still wider in the rear, although tire selection is limited.

However, the widest in the P4S is probably the 265/35-18, they don't offer 30 aspect ratios in 18" tires. This is a problem with these 15-25-year-old sports cars. Very few primarily street high-performance tires are available in the 24.7-25 inch diameters. There were many 20 years ago, and there is still a good selection of more extreme track oriented tires. But not in the P4S. In the Conti, a 285/30-18 is available.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
The way I read that review is that the Michelin and the Conti tires we are comparing are virtually identical in a largely subjective test at TireRack, with the Michelin edging out the others slightly. If you drill down and look at the "data" they report the differences between the tires are tiny. Remember the subjective reviews on Tire Rack are offered by folks usually driving a high end sedan, BMW and the like. They are not S owners and they are not driving the tires on a car even remotely comparable to the S. I value the subjective opinions of members here more. The Contis are $580 delivered. The Michelins are $708 delivered after rebate. IMO, never in a million years will you notice any difference of consequence between these tires driving on the street. Both are good tires.

Another option for S owners who are driving on the street is the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. It gets excellent reviews from folks on this site. (for example see Nerd-Vol comments here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-t...years-1187576/). I believe they are available in the wider 255 that the OP is looking for. The Indy 500 is just $446 delivered. Again, based on S2ki members reviews, I seriously doubt you will ever discern any performance difference of note between the Indy 500 and the others you are looking at for driving your S on the street. $708 minus $446 is $262.00. At the rate these tires wear on the S, especially in the rear, you are tossing away an awful lot of hard earned cash for no discernible difference in performance for the street driver.

I can't speak from personal experience about the Indy 500 - (read the favorable reviews of other members sprinkled about these pages) - but I can speak about the Contis. I am very happy with the Conti's (I use 16" tires) after about 8K miles so far this summer. I feel no need whatsoever for a better or more expensive tires. The tires have been excellent in wet and dry and they stick like glue. They are quiet and they handle extremely well. They are wearing quite well too. To each his own. But, that is my assessment. I have previously used Bridgestone S04s and I liked those tires as well. Next time I buy tires, I'm planning to try the Firehawks.

Tirerack is great, I have bought many tires from them and their reviews and the data they amass, as well as the customer service they provide, is very helpful. But, you have to read these reviews with a some degree of critical thought and skepticism.

Here is a review comparing the Conti Extremecontact Sport to the last Michelin max performance summer tire, the Pilot Super Sport, https://motoiq.com/tested-continenta...ntact-sport/6/. It might be of interest to some. The conclusion at the very end of the long review is this: "With an 86% increase in handling stiffness, 20% increase in tread life, and only a 6% increase in ride stiffness from the DW, the ExtremeContact™ Sport is now an option that has no real drawbacks to the PSS, is claimed to have better wet traction and hydroplaning resistance, and comes in at a more affordable price point."
every thing firestone is pure shit , the only reason every one around here is praising them is because there cheap and honda guys are broke asses....
Old 09-25-2018, 09:38 AM

Firestone is a Bridgestone brand. Nothing phenomenal.

There are many inexpensive tires. Few are terrible. The P4S is pretty much universally accepted as the best current high-performance street tire available. But even Michelin is tricky. They also have a P4 that is sold primarily as an OEM tire. It is not the same tire, but few reading ads would see the difference. I drove a Kia Stinger on P4 tires back-to-back with an Audi A4 on P4S tires on an autocross course. Night and day, at least to me. I have RE71r tires on my S2000.

Quick Reply: 245 PS4S or Conti Sport's 255?