Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AP2 05 S2000 Tire Selection Help!

Old 09-10-2016, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagotifosi
Hope this helps, might save you a bunch of time. Much of the data thatfollows was compiled over a year of searching for a solution. I havestock, OEM, un-rolled fenders and have to keep them that way because my car waspainted when new, Mercedes Red and my local shops think it is too risky to tryto roll them. Can't afford a paint crack/chip during a roll. Car came with StoptechST-40/328 BBK which are great brakes. I think the Wildwood and others aresimilar in size depending on number of pistons, but you need to check.

It has been SO VERY painfuland I can now say I have done final tests and fittings. There is someGREAT info on S2Ki already but I found a lot of it to be guesses and Bull S andjust plain wrong. There are still some unproven claims and some thatflip-flop both ways. I will say that in hindsight and after doinghundreds of hours on forums and talking to others, I probably wouldn't do theBBK kit on THIS car again. The OEM brake calipers with the right pads andchanging to something like Stoptech rotors yields more than adequateperformance for this car. I have 4-piston Brembo's on all four corners ofmy Volvo V70R which has allowed me to completely embarrass virtually all othercars at Summit Point on a track day. With active suspension, all-wheeldrive and the killer brakes, I found 300hp and 295tq to be adequate. Ipassed BMW's, Porsches and even a Ferrari at the end of the day. He wasVERY unhappy that a red Volvo wagon was eating up his bumper for a whole lapand he HAD to point me by on the straight. My best track day.

The first list is prettydamn right. The guideline of what fits was from someone else and was"safe" numbers with OEM fenders. There is a offset guide whichis useful. As you get towards the last parts of this it is just randomnotes that haven't been edited. Some is things that I thought worked andlater I determined they wouldn't in my opinion.

So, the "list"does NOT deal with height, so deviating from OEM height can be drastic. Also, does NOT take into account fender rolling or pulling, it is justwhat clears the BBK. If your fenders are OEM, there is only one possiblechoice to go all square (a whole other subject) and if you stay staggered (probsmart) then you pretty much need 8" with +50 or more offset front ANDproper shape (the list) and NONE of this deals with BBK issue for the rear, Idon't know. All of this is front only.
WOW! Thank you bro! for all of that information!!! As far as I can tell is that i will definitely have to do some fender rolling. I rather be safe than sorry. Don't want to crunch or pull out a fender. Thats a lot of good info there... Will take a couple readings to sink it all in. Thanks again!

Cheers

Old 06-25-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volk CE28N 17x7.5 +50

Some great information in here. I have read that the Volk CE28N 17x7.5 +50, They will not clear stop techs without a spacer, but not how large the space should be to clear (without rolling the fender). Have all these things going to my mechanic on July 5th, so trying to make sure I buy the right spacers before I go in.

ANY help would be really appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ral34c
Some great information in here. I have read that the Volk CE28N 17x7.5 +50, They will not clear stop techs without a spacer, but not how large the space should be to clear (without rolling the fender). Have all these things going to my mechanic on July 5th, so trying to make sure I buy the right spacers before I go in.

ANY help would be really appreciated!! Thanks!

well you are starting with a relatively narrow wheel which is helpful, but if you need anything more than a 5mm spacer i would recommend you roll your fenders. 7.5+40 is roll fenders for sure territory
Old 07-07-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A very useful thread! Kudos to colnagotifosi, B serious & Manga_Spawn. Relative to 4Sho, and an initial question: I have a 2006 S2000 and changed tires to the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (front: 215/45 R17 91Y & rear 255/40 R17 94Y) mounted on OEM wheels. They perform extremely well and significantly better than the original tires. The rear tires are a bit wider than stock, but equivalent to those on the CR model, and no rubbing even during track times. I also upgraded the springs and shocks to the CR dimensions using Honda parts and added the Cusco Floor Ladder Bar, Type II Front Lower Bar, front and rear strut braces and struts.

Just as an aside, I recently placed the Continental True Contact 225/65 R17 102T tires to my SUV, These are (in my opinion) outstanding tires and would probably be great tires for a S2000. Their handling in the rain (a must for the Tampa Bay area) are what sold me. They are also quieter and lave a long rated tread life than the original tries.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Actually, I think you now have a slightly larger tire stagger than CR. The oe 255 rear tires used on the CR in actual dimensions was much narrower than most any 255 rear you will find available.

If trying to replicate CR handling, and not using the oe CR tires (and who would today), use 215/245.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:43 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad Ray
I have a 2006 S2000 and changed tires to the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (front: 215/45 R17 91Y & rear 255/40 R17 94Y) mounted on OEM wheels. They perform extremely well and significantly better than the original tires.
I am using these same tires (except my rear tires are 245) on my 02. I love the way they perform for my use (spirited back roads - street only), and I have no desire to change. But, could you share the mileage you are getting out of yours? I'm getting roughly 15K on the fronts and and 7.5K on the rears. I am getting very even wear across the tires. I have a recent alignment at oem specs with the rear toe set at the minimum toe-in possible while still within the oem spec. Is my experience with tire wear consistent with yours? I ask because I am due for another set of tires soon and I'm mulling over what to do. I'm using 17" ap2 v3 wheels now, but I have a refinished set of 17" ce28s in the "s2k spec" sizes and I may mount this next set of tires on those wheels to give them a try.

Is there a tire that would give similar performance to the S04s for my use but last longer? Or, is this tire wear I am getting basically par for the course for a tire that gives this level of performance?

Last edited by rpg51; 07-23-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
I am using these same tires (except my rear tires are 245) on my 02. I love the way they perform for my use (spirited back roads - street only), and I have no desire to change. But, could you share the mileage you are getting out of yours? I'm getting roughly 15K on the fronts and and 7.5K on the rears. I am getting very even wear across the tires. I have a recent alignment at oem specs with the rear toe set at the minimum toe-in possible while still within the oem spec. Is my experience with tire wear consistent with yours? I ask because I am due for another set of tires soon and I'm mulling over what to do. I'm using 17" ap2 v3 wheels now, but I have a refinished set of 17" ce28s in the "s2k spec" sizes and I may mount this next set of tires on those wheels to give them a try.

Is there a tire that would give similar performance to the S04s for my use but last longer? Or, is this tire wear I am getting basically par for the course for a tire that gives this level of performance?
MPSS will definitely outlast and likely out-grip the S04. Some people complain that turn-in isn't as sharp...but, I found it to be a fairly minimal difference. I think Michelin has a 30 day trial on their tyres. So...try them out, would be my advice.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
MPSS will definitely outlast and likely out-grip the S04. ... So...try them out, would be my advice.
I'll call my tire shop tomorrow and order them for my Volks. They cost more, but the price difference doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things. If they get better tread wear that could eliminate the price difference pretty quick.

If I have the numbers right, I think the combination of the lighter MPSS tires, (v. S-04s), and the lighter CE28 wheels, (v. ap2 v3), will drop a total of around 20-25 lbs. of unsprung weight off the car. Probably not a reason to do it. But, it will be fun to see if I notice any difference.

Man, I love this car. What a joy it is to drive. I'm so happy that I ended up with an S2k instead of one of the other options I was considering at the time. Pure luck really. I did not fully understand what I was getting into until after I bought the car. I do like driving a low mileage car, (mine has 22K), and at the rate I am putting miles on this thing I may end up getting another one when I retire in 6 years. Or, maybe I will find that with good upkeep it will be just fine with higher miles. I do have things sorted out pretty well right now and I would have to go through all that again with a replacement. I'll leave that decision for a later day.

Although, I have first dibs on a one owner low mileage 03 silverstone with oem hardtop. If that comes on the market I will find it hard to resist. I might buy it and stick it in storage for a later day. Hard to lose much money on a car like that.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
I'll call my tire shop tomorrow and order them for my Volks. They cost more, but the price difference doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things. If they get better tread wear that could eliminate the price difference pretty quick.

If I have the numbers right, I think the combination of the lighter MPSS tires, (v. S-04s), and the lighter CE28 wheels, (v. ap2 v3), will drop a total of around 20-25 lbs. of unsprung weight off the car. Probably not a reason to do it. But, it will be fun to see if I notice any difference.

Man, I love this car. What a joy it is to drive. I'm so happy that I ended up with an S2k instead of one of the other options I was considering at the time. Pure luck really. I did not fully understand what I was getting into until after I bought the car. I do like driving a low mileage car, (mine has 22K), and at the rate I am putting miles on this thing I may end up getting another one when I retire in 6 years. Or, maybe I will find that with good upkeep it will be just fine with higher miles. I do have things sorted out pretty well right now and I would have to go through all that again with a replacement. I'll leave that decision for a later day.

Although, I have first dibs on a one owner low mileage 03 silverstone with oem hardtop. If that comes on the market I will find it hard to resist. I might buy it and stick it in storage for a later day. Hard to lose much money on a car like that.

Mine puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it.

I bought mine with 18K, about 11 years ago. Now I'm at 88K. As far as mileage goes...I don't see the problem in racking up miles if YOU'RE (the owner) the one doing it. The miles equate to happy experiences....and that's really the payout in the end.

These cars are also dead reliable...so, even in a practical sense, miles don't mean much.

If you buy another low mileage car, your options are:
- to let it sit...which seems like a waste.
- put miles on it to enjoy it. which you're already doing to your current one.

Don't feel guilty about the miles as it detracts from the fun of driving it. Miles are inevitable anyway. Just enjoy it.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by B serious

If you buy another low mileage car, your options are:
- to let it sit...which seems like a waste.
- put miles on it to enjoy it. which you're already doing to your current one.

Don't feel guilty about the miles as it detracts from the fun of driving it. Miles are inevitable anyway. Just enjoy it.
I don't feel guilty. I bought it to drive and enjoy. That is what I will do. Not a waste to put one away for the future. It will be there in the end - whether for me or someone else.

Quick Reply: AP2 05 S2000 Tire Selection Help!