Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AP2 V1 rear wheels for non staggered setup

Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I didn't write the post very well.

What ultimately centres your wheels on your hub when you install them for good. Meaning torqing the lug nuts to final torque is the conical seat of the lug nuts.

The centre bore and the hubs shoulder is what helps the user when the car is jacked up in the air so that he or she does not need to lift/centre the wheel with one hand and twist the lug nuts on.

That center hub fit is does not carry the load of the car (not whee). The studs also do not carry the load. The studs are in tension. The interface between your wheel and your hub is a slip critical interface. Meaning the torque from the lug nuts creates a clamping pressure between the wheel and the hub. This clamping pressure between two flat surfaces is where the load is transferred from your wheel/tire assembly to your suspension and ultimately to the rest of the car.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there are two variants: hub centric, and lug centric. Our Hondas are hub centric.
And switching from hub centric to lug centric puts more load on the studs--radial load,
to be exact. This extra radial loading adds shear forces to the lug bolts. Keeping the
wheel hub centric puts the majority of the radial loading directly onto the hub's lip--the part that
mates inside of the center bore of the wheel and keeps it centered.
All of the forces exerted onto the hub are done via the tire/wheel assembly.
Lateral forces are taken up by the clamping forces of the studs.
Radial forces are taken up by the hub's lip just mentioned.

If you switch from HC to LC will it work? Probably so, but I don't think that it is a good idea to
unduly stress the studs when HC takes most of the radial load forces off of the studs and puts
them directly onto the hub, where it ends up anyway.

def. of terms:
Radial forces: bumps and potholes (the weight of the car in static position)
Lateral forces: cornering (there are no lateral forces when car is not moving)

Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheers!,Mar 9 2010, 07:04 PM
The lug nuts are conical/tapered. That is what centres the wheels. The centre bore of the wheels and the hub are there to assist in having the wheel concentric with the hub.
Stock Honda wheels and lug nuts are not conical/tapered, they're spherical. Stock wheel mounting is hub-centric.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who said you guys can stop the debate? WTF keep going...
Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 AM

several guys track with bored out rear wheels mounted in front. no incidents i know of yet. i have a set of rear wheels in my garage, just haven't taken them to the machine shop yet.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Mar 11 2010, 08:34 PM
Stock Honda wheels and lug nuts are not conical/tapered, they're spherical. Stock wheel mounting is hub-centric.
spherical seats can still be used to ensure alignment by concentrically of the spherical interface. Think of a ball and socket arrangement.

But that is ok, no one needs to believe in anyone else it is the internet afterall.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:02 PM

I still think that you don't want to put extra load on your studs when it is not necessary.

Stay Hub-Centric and be happy/safe.

And don't use a Dremel to do it if you do!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheers!,Mar 13 2010, 12:17 PM
spherical seats can still be used to ensure alignment by concentrically of the spherical interface. Think of a ball and socket arrangement.

But that is ok, no one needs to believe in anyone else it is the internet afterall.
Well, when you post statements that are false, you can be sure that at least *some* of us will not "believe in you"!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 AM

There is no extra load on the studs. The wheel is held to the hub via the clampling force generated by the tension from the studs due to the lug nuts being torqued correctly.

The hub's centre shoulder does not support the weight of the car. Nor does the studs.

The interface is a slip critical bolted interface. When you machine a sphereical seat the seat is perfectly concentric. It is what centres your wheels when it has pressure applied to the seat from the lugs nuts being torqued down.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:42 AM

WOw, I just don't know what to say to that. So I'll defer to Abraham...

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply: AP2 V1 rear wheels for non staggered setup