Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding flipping tires

Old 04-18-2020, 08:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Question regarding flipping tires

My s2k has a square wheel/tire setup. I've been using Bridgestone re71r tires for the last couple sets. The car is setup for street use with a performance oriented alignment. I get ~9k [useable] miles out of each set and I'm trying to extend the service life. Would it be worthwhile to have the tires dismounted, swapped side-to-side, then realigned half-way thru it's service life, or would the rear toe wear create wonky handling?
Old 04-19-2020, 05:45 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

9K miles seems reasonable for these tires. Unfortunately the RE71R tires are directional so dismounting/remounting is necessary to put them on the other side of the car. Remounting and realigning expenses could negate any cost savings in getting another thousand or two miles out of the worn tires. A full set of these in 245mm size is $660 with rebate.

The S007A is non directional and marketed as an Extreme performance summer tire with a 240 tread wear rating.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
Mugen_is_best (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 07:19 AM

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
My s2k has a square wheel/tire setup. I've been using Bridgestone re71r tires for the last couple sets. The car is setup for street use with a performance oriented alignment. I get ~9k [useable] miles out of each set and I'm trying to extend the service life. Would it be worthwhile to have the tires dismounted, swapped side-to-side, then realigned half-way thru it's service life, or would the rear toe wear create wonky handling?
I tried that for my Hankook rs3's(with last just a bit longer than re71r's) and the extra life I gained was minimal. There was no wonky handling afterwards.

For the cost of swapping tires, realignment and losing half a day for both is just not worth it to me.
The following users liked this post:
Mugen_is_best (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
9K miles seems reasonable for these tires. Unfortunately the RE71R tires are directional so dismounting/remounting is necessary to put them on the other side of the car. Remounting and realigning expenses could negate any cost savings in getting another thousand or two miles out of the worn tires. A full set of these in 245mm size is $660 with rebate.

The S007A is non directional and marketed as an Extreme performance summer tire with a 240 tread wear rating.

-- Chuck
definitely not worth the mounting fees and alignment for only an additional 1-2k miles. I was thinking more like 5k

Originally Posted by Orjinal
I tried that for my Hankook rs3's(with last just a bit longer than re71r's) and the extra life I gained was minimal. There was no wonky handling afterwards.

For the cost of swapping tires, realignment and losing half a day for both is just not worth it to me.
any experience with the rs4?
Old 04-21-2020, 12:52 PM

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
any experience with the rs4?
No. However they will be next set I'll be buying.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:51 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

RE-71Rs can absolutely be flipped. Most autocrossers I have talked to flips them. And yes it is worth it IMO but depends on how much tire life is worh to you and how much you get gouged for mounting. I pay $60 for mount and balance at my guy (I dont go to the big box stores and use my alignment/tire guy) and usually throw him an extra $10 since he charges so much less anyways. . Directional means nothing in terms of flipping. You can flip them on the rims and then put them on the other side of the car and they will still be turing the right way.

Why the hell are we talking about alignments when swapping tires again? I just dont get that. Unless you are pulling the suspension apart or raising/lowering, why would you be re-aligning half way through your tread life????

As a tip, you really shoudl flip them before the center rib wears all the way down on one side. You will notice that that rib always wears unevenly. I try to flip mine a little bit before one edge of it is all the way down ot the meat. Seems to prolong life by quite a bit. You will need to do this sooner if your setup is camber limited of course. I have flipped every set I have owned... which I think is 5 or 6 now

I cant tell you how much difference it makes in street miles since my RE's are autox tires and get most of their thrashing that way.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:45 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

the re71 feel horrible for a bit before the camber wears back in after flipping as a heads up.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by ncrx
the re71 feel horrible for a bit before the camber wears back in after flipping as a heads up.
my front to rear camber are approximately the same. I was more concerned with the rear toe wear.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
RE-71Rs can absolutely be flipped. Most autocrossers I have talked to flips them. And yes it is worth it IMO but depends on how much tire life is worh to you and how much you get gouged for mounting. I pay $60 for mount and balance at my guy (I dont go to the big box stores and use my alignment/tire guy) and usually throw him an extra $10 since he charges so much less anyways. . Directional means nothing in terms of flipping. You can flip them on the rims and then put them on the other side of the car and they will still be turing the right way.

Why the hell are we talking about alignments when swapping tires again? I just dont get that. Unless you are pulling the suspension apart or raising/lowering, why would you be re-aligning half way through your tread life????

As a tip, you really shoudl flip them before the center rib wears all the way down on one side. You will notice that that rib always wears unevenly. I try to flip mine a little bit before one edge of it is all the way down ot the meat. Seems to prolong life by quite a bit. You will need to do this sooner if your setup is camber limited of course. I have flipped every set I have owned... which I think is 5 or 6 now

I cant tell you how much difference it makes in street miles since my RE's are autox tires and get most of their thrashing that way.
The inside of the tire cups before I get a chance to wear the center rib. By that time, if I swap front to rear, which I have tried before, the steering shudders under heavy braking. I'm guessing it's from toe wear.