Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestone S04 v. Michelin Pilot SS

Old 04-26-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Here are a few pics of the continentals-
Attached Thumbnails Bridgestone S04 v. Michelin Pilot SS-img_0182.jpg   Bridgestone S04 v. Michelin Pilot SS-img_0181.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the more i read and the more i check prices, i'm more inclined to try the firehawks 225/45 and 255/40. 340 treadwear as well
doesn't hurt that the tread design is appealing (i know it shouldn't REALLY play a part in tire choice, but hey its a plus!)
Old 04-28-2017, 05:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

i got a pair of 245/40/18 firehawks on two 9.5js that are going on my daily soon. i will let you guys know what i think. previous tires were BStone re760, which the re003s replace. so looking forward to comparing the two.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by pappi16
the more i read and the more i check prices, i'm more inclined to try the firehawks 225/45 and 255/40. 340 treadwear as well
doesn't hurt that the tread design is appealing (i know it shouldn't REALLY play a part in tire choice, but hey its a plus!)
I was in the same boat. I had done all my research previously, so I would be ready when spring came around and it was time to get back on the road. I was all set to get the S04, but I did a new search to see if there was anything new I should consider. These Firehawks came on the radar. The price was certainly attractive.

Ultimately I decided on the S04. Those great looking tread blocks of the Firehawk are noted to not be the best thing for channelling rain water, which is an important consideration for me. As well the Firehawk is said to have a bit of isolated, robotic road feel, and road feel is more important to me than outright grip.

Loving the S04 so far. But who knows if I might have been just as happy with the Firehawks.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deception9
i got a pair of 245/40/18 firehawks on two 9.5js that are going on my daily soon. i will let you guys know what i think. previous tires were BStone re760, which the re003s replace. so looking forward to comparing the two.
look forward to your comparison, update when you get the chance

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I was in the same boat. I had done all my research previously, so I would be ready when spring came around and it was time to get back on the road. I was all set to get the S04, but I did a new search to see if there was anything new I should consider. These Firehawks came on the radar. The price was certainly attractive.

Ultimately I decided on the S04. Those great looking tread blocks of the Firehawk are noted to not be the best thing for channelling rain water, which is an important consideration for me. As well the Firehawk is said to have a bit of isolated, robotic road feel, and road feel is more important to me than outright grip.

Loving the S04 so far. But who knows if I might have been just as happy with the Firehawks.
my car never sees any rain, its literally a weekend car that sees maybe 2-3k km a year that only comes out when its bright and sunny. so wet performance isn't something i'm really concerned about. if i can't put the top down, she's not coming out. i have my mk7 golf R thats my daily. she might MAYYYBE see 1 track day a year if i'm lucky.

the road feel aspect i'm really interested, i too value road feel over grip as i'll never push her to the limits at any point when i'm on the road. and the maybe one track day a year doesn't warrant so much importance on grip when purchasing tires. i'm gonna give the firehawks a chance to start off, i feel i'll be happy with them.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

I think I read 1 person think/say that. Imo, doesn't feel robotic/video-game to me at all. Good road feel. I can def feel the road's different various textures, imperfections and little bumps, and also can feel the tires when they commence gripping or slipping during turn in, mid turn load and turn exit. Pretty firm sidewalls. But then again, I haven't tried many other tires out there; only old-school Dunlop Z1/SS (sp?) and those popular Kumhos back in the day...but they were on softer cars, an S13 and EG..so it's hard to compare/say if certain characteristics is just from the tire.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

It was the tire rack comparison test that called them out for feeling video game like. Read similar on another forum when researching them, but who knows, maybe they were influenced by tire rack more than personal experience.

I am eager to hear more feedback on these Firehawks. Might be my choice next time around. But I was hesitant this time as not a lot of reviews of these on our cars yet.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Ah, I see. Yeah, makes sense & perhaps (others were influenced by previous readings/reviews). But, at least, they aren't mushy and too soft like the DW.

Yes, I too want and would love to hear other S2k owners review these Firehawks that've had prior experience with all of the other popular MP/UHP tires (like the PSS, S04, Comp2, ExtrmCntctSprt, etc)...especially since I have no prior experience of any of those tires.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i am currently running re11 all around... my fronts are good but my rears need to be replaced. im in for more reviews on the

POTENZA S-04 POLE

my rears are currently 255/40/17 re11 bridgestone

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romSurvey=true

Old 04-30-2017, 06:25 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I've decided to stick with the S-04s. With different tire wear rates front to rear on this car there is something to be said with sticking to one tire model. I'm very happy with these tires although I am sure the others are great too.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by rpg51; 04-30-2017 at 06:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone S04 v. Michelin Pilot SS