Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can You Put Wheel Weights on the Inside of Wheel Spokes ?

Old 11-29-2018, 09:29 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

The only reason that weigjts shouldn't go spokes is they will be much likely to get flung off the wheel. When they are on the barrel, 'centrifugal' force holds them in place.

But a better idea than on the spokes is to simply place them out of line with caliper. Say, closer to wheel centerline.

The balance machine tells operator where to place the weights. Inner, outer, and at what degree on the wheel (between 0 and 360 dregrees of rotation). But the only consequence of putting the weights in a slightly different spot is it will take a few more spims to get it to zero out.

Each new spin starts fresh. It doesn't remember where it told you to put the weights last time or know if you ignored it. So when you put weights close, but not exactly spot on, the next spin will be better, but not as betfer as if you put them spot on.

So all they gotta do is mark off the no fly zone on the wheel where they shouldn't put weight, and then just not put them there. Put them a little off of that spot to stay out of no mans land. It'll take a couple more spins and a little more weight, but it'll balance.

+1 on the spin tire 180 on rim thing. Whenever the machine asks for an unreasonable amount of weight, that should be first thing done.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The only reason that weigjts shouldn't go spokes is they will be much likely to get flung off the wheel. When they are on the barrel, 'centrifugal' force holds them in place.

But a better idea than on the spokes is to simply place them out of line with caliper. Say, closer to wheel centerline.

The balance machine tells operator where to place the weights. Inner, outer, and at what degree on the wheel (between 0 and 360 dregrees of rotation). But the only consequence of putting the weights in a slightly different spot is it will take a few more spims to get it to zero out.

Each new spin starts fresh. It doesn't remember where it told you to put the weights last time or know if you ignored it. So when you put weights close, but not exactly spot on, the next spin will be better, but not as betfer as if you put them spot on.

So all they gotta do is mark off the no fly zone on the wheel where they shouldn't put weight, and then just not put them there. Put them a little off of that spot to stay out of no mans land. It'll take a couple more spins and a little more weight, but it'll balance.

+1 on the spin tire 180 on rim thing. Whenever the machine asks for an unreasonable amount of weight, that should be first thing done.
Thanks kindly for the advice. I took the wheels back to the tire shop and they put weights closer to the center line. At that spot there is tons of clearance, and I just realized that the inside barrel of the rim is tapered which was the cause of the issue. The wheel opening at the outer side by the spokes is a smaller diameter than the diameter of the inside end , the weights are still over the caliper edge but with them being moved closer to the center the taper gives them more clearance. It works well now, I haven't been able to drive the car yet but hopefully it should be good. Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Clean the barrels of old weight residue and slap these on in black: https://www.hofmann-powerweight.com/...nthracite.html

Done.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Just to clarify, you don't want to put the weights on the spoke because they would fly off (that's probably part of it), it's because of the moment of inertia, putting them on the spokes would change the balance significantly, because they would be at a shorter radius than the weights on the barrel, they would need to add a significant amount of weights to make up for this.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

^ thanks guys for all of the replies. I think I have the issue resolved with the weights moved away from the outer edge a bit. As the inside barrel is tapered the weights moved inwards has given me more clearance. As long as the balance is good I should have it working fine.