S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-tires-56/)
-   -   Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires installed (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-tires-56/continental-extremecontact-sport-tires-installed-1171901/)

Mjhenk 04-21-2017 10:35 AM

Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires installed

I had a set of these installed on my '07 S2K this morning. Stock 17" AP2 wheels with OEM tire size ie: 215/45 front and 245/40. Fronts are XL load range. Alignment done as well, set to roughly OEM (FRONT: 6 degree caster, -0.5 deg camber and 0 toe. REAR: -1.5 deg camber and 0.2" total toe). Pressure set to 32 psi cold all around.

As an "early adopter" of the newest UHP tire from Conti, I felt I may be able to contribute some useful insight for those who are considering a set. I drove about 30 miles after the install (took the long way to work) which included some twisty backroads and a 10 mile stint on the PA turnpike. Due to the break-in period and some earlier inclement weather, I didn't push them hard - maybe 70% or so - but my initial reaction is very positive. Turn in is quick with little sidewall flex, which could be due to the newly adopted sidewall stiffening insert, or the XL load range. However, the sidewall stiffness also brings with it some additional harshness in the ride (as compared to a set of Extremecontact DWS's on my other car). On the highway they were fantastic - firm and planted. Lane changing at speed took little more that a twitch of the wrist.

As I work my way through the break in period and first couple thousand miles, I'll provide a few updates along the way with respect to dry/wet performance, wear, etc.

If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up. Cheers!

Carnut12 04-21-2017 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mjhenk (Post 24193485)
I had a set of these installed on my '07 S2K this morning. Stock 17" AP2 wheels with OEM tire size ie: 215/45 front and 245/40. Fronts are XL load range. Alignment done as well, set to roughly OEM (FRONT: 6 degree caster, -0.5 deg camber and 0 toe. REAR: -1.5 deg camber and 0.2" total toe). Pressure set to 32 psi cold all around.

As an "early adopter" of the newest UHP tire from Conti, I felt I may be able to contribute some useful insight for those who are considering a set. I drove about 30 miles after the install (took the long way to work) which included some twisty backroads and a 10 mile stint on the PA turnpike. Due to the break-in period and some earlier inclement weather, I didn't push them hard - maybe 70% or so - but my initial reaction is very positive. Turn in is quick with little sidewall flex, which could be due to the newly adopted sidewall stiffening insert, or the XL load range. However, the sidewall stiffness also brings with it some additional harshness in the ride (as compared to a set of Extremecontact DWS's on my other car). On the highway they were fantastic - firm and planted. Lane changing at speed took little more that a twitch of the wrist.

As I work my way through the break in period and first couple thousand miles, I'll provide a few updates along the way with respect to dry/wet performance, wear, etc.

If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up. Cheers!

I had them installed last week and I echo your thoughts, very happy with them so far!!! My car had the original RE-050's (11 years old) on it so the new tires were actually less harsh.

osu1978 04-21-2017 02:03 PM

I may also go with these so thanks for posting your initial thoughts. Any pics?

Saki GT 05-10-2017 11:02 AM

Glad to hear your thoughts - I am looking at these now as the Goodyears I love no longer come in the stock front tire size.

How are the sidewalls in cornering? Do they roll over?

Carnut12 05-10-2017 12:12 PM

I am happy with the cornering, don't seem to roll at all.

darcyw 05-10-2017 04:41 PM

any insight to compare them to say a dunlop z2 or hankook RS-3 - yes, both 200 UTQG- but how much different to the new continental? 80%, 90%, 100% of the performance?
I have run RS3 and Z2 only.

thanks
darcy

Chuck S 05-11-2017 05:58 AM

These are asymmetric tires which have the potential for better handling as the tread pattern is optimized for lateral forces with the tire is loaded in a corner.

Not seen any laboratory tests on them but they look like they have potential as a Max performance summer tire one notch down from the Extreme category which typically wear fast and have a loud tread pattern.

-- Chuck

THMotorsports 05-15-2017 10:14 AM

I had a chance to test these out at Tire Rack on a Miata.

It has EXCELLENT street manners, quiet, comfortable, great in rain, worked even in cooler ambient temps. In an autocross setting, grip level felt very high, comparable to the outgoing Michelin PSS. They would give some audible feedback. Steering feel is improved slightly over the PSS. We put in probably 50 or so runs on that car with a couple different drivers, including coaching some novice drivers. At the end of the day, we saw some uneven wear in the middle rib, same as you see on RE71R and the like when autocrossed. But overall, wear was very good. I found them very easy to drive at the limit, and they were forgiving when you overdrove them.

They aren't quite as grippy as a R-S3, but they'll last a lot longer and have better street manners. Z2 requires it to be driven with some precision, so in some ways, this tire may be faster for certain drivers.

Saki GT 05-17-2017 04:03 AM

Yeah, I've decided that these will be my car's next tires; now I'm just waiting to see if any rebates come out during the summer.

Mjhenk 05-17-2017 05:52 AM

Update #1: It's been just shy of a month and I have approx 600 miles (break in period complete) on the new Conti's so figured it time for a brief upgrade. Overall I am very satisfied with the tires. Street manners - on center feel, steering response, noise level - are all excellent.
Cornering: I'm running them at 33psi all around and have experienced no discernible sidewall deflection. I suspect that any "softness" or "squirm" experienced during hard cornering is simply tread element displacement, which will reduce over time as tread depth decreases.
Wet weather: anyone on the East Coast is aware that we've had some pretty nasty wet weather days over the last month. The tires performed exceedingly well in both light and very heavy rain/standing water. In fact, and owing in part to their current max tread depth I'm sure, I have yet to experience any hydroplaning and the car pulled minimally off line when hitting puddles on a single side of the vehicle at speed. However, I am a little disappointed in the steep drop in lateral traction when transitioning from a static to kinetic state, ie: "breaking loose". On wet pavement the tires tend to shudder or hop a bit, which can be uncomfortable. A less severe decrease would allow more warning when operating the vehicle close to the limit.
Dry: There were a few mornings in late April I left for work and temps were in the mid 40's F which allowed me to see how firm the rubber is at that temperature. Typical to any high performance tire, there is a perceptible decrease in grip when the tires are below/not yet at operating temperature. However, once warm, these tires grip like they should. Great feedback, giving a nice audible warning when approaching the limits of adhesion. If you exceed that limit, they will forgive you. Once thing I've noticed, and this speaks to the awesomeness of the S2000 as well, is the way in which the tires work with the chassis when controlling cornering with the right pedal. A slight lift on the throttle and the tires grab a tighter inside line. Not to the point of oversteer, but enough to allow you to correct your trajectory without having to hit the brakes.

There you have it - my $0.02. I'm going to lift the car this weekend and see if there's is any noticeable wear yet and will report back if worthwhile. Have fun and be safe.