Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires installed

Old 05-17-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I caught the last day of a $70 rebate, just got my Visa Rebate Card today!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the update...greatly appreciated to get some feedback from owners with the same car. I am strongly leaning towards these tires and I just have to decide if i am going to stick with my showroom condition AP1 wheels or use my newer AP2v1 wheels that desperately need to be refinished. I bought the AP2 wheels only to gain new tire options, then shortly after the continentals came out in AP1 sizing!! I know its not that big a deal either way but i want to make a decision I will be happy with over the next couple seasons.

Originally Posted by Mjhenk
Update #1: It's been just shy of a month and I have approx 600 miles (break in period complete) on the new Conti's so figured it time for a brief upgrade. Overall I am very satisfied with the tires. Street manners - on center feel, steering response, noise level - are all excellent.
Cornering: I'm running them at 33psi all around and have experienced no discernible sidewall deflection. I suspect that any "softness" or "squirm" experienced during hard cornering is simply tread element displacement, which will reduce over time as tread depth decreases.
Wet weather: anyone on the East Coast is aware that we've had some pretty nasty wet weather days over the last month. The tires performed exceedingly well in both light and very heavy rain/standing water. In fact, and owing in part to their current max tread depth I'm sure, I have yet to experience any hydroplaning and the car pulled minimally off line when hitting puddles on a single side of the vehicle at speed. However, I am a little disappointed in the steep drop in lateral traction when transitioning from a static to kinetic state, ie: "breaking loose". On wet pavement the tires tend to shudder or hop a bit, which can be uncomfortable. A less severe decrease would allow more warning when operating the vehicle close to the limit.
Dry: There were a few mornings in late April I left for work and temps were in the mid 40's F which allowed me to see how firm the rubber is at that temperature. Typical to any high performance tire, there is a perceptible decrease in grip when the tires are below/not yet at operating temperature. However, once warm, these tires grip like they should. Great feedback, giving a nice audible warning when approaching the limits of adhesion. If you exceed that limit, they will forgive you. Once thing I've noticed, and this speaks to the awesomeness of the S2000 as well, is the way in which the tires work with the chassis when controlling cornering with the right pedal. A slight lift on the throttle and the tires grab a tighter inside line. Not to the point of oversteer, but enough to allow you to correct your trajectory without having to hit the brakes.

There you have it - my $0.02. I'm going to lift the car this weekend and see if there's is any noticeable wear yet and will report back if worthwhile. Have fun and be safe.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:26 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Fwiw, the next Continental rebate will go live in August if you can wait. I'm currently deciding between waiting for these or getting the Firestones now - $60 rebate is active until June 9 I think, which makes the price difference between these two highly rated tires ~$200.
The following users liked this post:
CMK (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:47 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Just missed the rebate...I really want a set of these in 225/255. Hoping the current All Seasons (previous owner) make it through my state inspection in July so I can pick up these in August with the next rebate (thanks, Saki)
Old 05-31-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 1,107 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Fwiw, the next Continental rebate will go live in August if you can wait. I'm currently deciding between waiting for these or getting the Firestones now - $60 rebate is active until June 9 I think, which makes the price difference between these two highly rated tires ~$200.
Is that via Tire Rack or thru Continental direct?
Old 06-05-2017, 05:08 AM

It will be from Continental - I wanted to know how long I'd have to wait to purchase so I asked them.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I picked up a set of 225/255 on stock ap2 rims. Will follow up with more info when I get them broken in a little. So far they are really smooth, grippy and way less harsh than the RE050. Running them at 33 PSI cold.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
It will be from Continental - I wanted to know how long I'd have to wait to purchase so I asked them.
Man, they were nicer to you than me. I asked and they said they didn't know. Of course, I asked two days after the last rebate ended. I ended up pulling the trigger and getting them mounted and balanced last week. Hoping to put them on the car this week. Unfortunately, it's 90 with 50+ % chance of rain till Sunday so I'm not in a particular hurry, but I am itching to get the car on the road
Old 07-27-2017, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mocky
Man, they were nicer to you than me. I asked and they said they didn't know. Of course, I asked two days after the last rebate ended. I ended up pulling the trigger and getting them mounted and balanced last week. Hoping to put them on the car this week. Unfortunately, it's 90 with 50+ % chance of rain till Sunday so I'm not in a particular hurry, but I am itching to get the car on the road
Well, hopefully they were telling me the truth! I've been careful about road trips in the rain as my tread is getting thin waiting two months for it...

Just checked - rebate is live Aug 1-31:

http://www.continentaltire.com/misce...a-prepaid-card

This puts the Contis within $50 of the Firehawks, which were backordered two months, so I'm going with these.
The following users liked this post:
CMK (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 06:42 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I've only had mine on for a few days, but so far I really like them. Very quiet compared to the ZII's on my other wheels which is massive plus.

Really hope I don't have to try out the wet traction anytime soon

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires installed