Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could 2 psi make such a difference?

Old 05-05-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could 2 psi make such a difference?

I'm ridiculously picky about air pressure, and check it often to stay right at 32 psi cold. Using a rather expensive gauge bought some years ago, but don't remember the name.

So I'm at Pep Boys the other day and buy a new digital gauge just for kicks. It's not a cheap one, but generally don't care for digital.

Anyways, it reads 2 psi lower than my existing gauge, so I add two pounds all the way around. I've checked other gauges and get incredibly inconsistent readings between all of them, so don't know which is right.

In any event, with 2 psi more, the car handles completely different, in a good way. It used to tend towards quick rear-end slide oversteer, but is now very predictable with much more feedback. The ride is slightly rougher, but nothing annoying, and based on fuel use, getting better mpg.

It really feels like a different car. Who makes a gauge that is guaranteed reliable? I don't really care if it's more expensive, just want it right. But assuming this new gauge is wrong, is there any harm on handling I should watch out for that wouldn't otherwise occur due to running higher pressure, and how high can I go for improved performance, forgetting the rougher ride?

Thanks much,

Mark

btw, it's an '04 with stock rims and tires
Old 05-05-2006, 03:55 PM

I have 2 digital guages made by the same company and they read exactly 5psi different. I hate digital. I wouldn't worry about 2psi difference being dangerous. If it handles well then no problem. As long as you generally aren't exceeding say 40psi then no harm done. Even then you really only will have unwanted wear possibly but these cars go through tires so fast it doesn't matter
Old 05-05-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i watch my tires and run according to them

id use analog gauge...
use one that puts 30 right in the middle becasue that would be the most accurate for the car use

i.e. buy one that goes to 60 max. i have one that holds the pressure inside so u can put on and read w/o being on one knee.. also it has bleeder built in to reduce pressure to desired #

i forget who makes mine tho.. look for "tire pressure gauge" on google.. mine was like 45$
Old 05-05-2006, 07:20 PM

I believe accu-gage (or accu-gauge?) makes a decent analog guage that you are talking about. I have one, it's a brass housing 0-60psi with a hold function and a bleed button with a long flexible hose, probably very similar to the one you speak of. Get a good guage like rijowysock said.