Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desmond Regamaster Evo is back...

Old 10-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

All I care about is how the 17x9.5 +48 looks. When photos of those surface, I'll be very interested to see that. I was told they'd be considerably cheaper than this too, ~$2500/set. Overall, I'm not quite sold. That satin gunmetal finish is KILLER though.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Preorder is open and prices start at $2699 close to what i said but only for white and silver other color options are $120-$200 more

Old 10-29-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwayne_Fa5ias2k

I dont think their priced badly seeing used sets with curb rash are selling for $1800 and good condition ones are in the $2000s . Icb told me will be about 2600-2700 for the 17in with stickers shipped
I agree.

The pricing is on point IMO considering the used market and popularity. Sure as a consumer, cheaper would be better, but I think for what it is, Matt did not overprice them. The EVOII were supposedly designed by the same designer as the original and they're being produced by the #2 forging manufacturer in Japan. The rereleased MF10's were $3300ish a set for comparison and all King did was convince Mugen to do a limited production run. Matt actually had to go out and buy the rights to the wheel, pay for a new design and manufacturer, recreate graphics and stickers, etc. I think all things considered, $2600-2800 is not bad at all for brand new wheels with the latest manufacturing process. On the subject of quality, the original EVOs were lauded partially because they came from some mysterious russian wheel company who made them out of scrap tank metal or whatever. But if you actually follow regamaster EVO groups and classifieds you'd know that the originals develop a perpendicular crack on the inside lip. It's not a rare occurrence either. The fact that the original wheels are all 20+ years old probably doesn't help.

On another note, i'm frankly surprised Matt isn't offering flat black. Maybe he doesn't want to step on Spoon's toes? Or maybe he will offer it in the future? I haven't asked. But a flat black offering would definitely be the choice for the guys wanting the original Spoon look but don't like the changes made to the newly designed SW388s.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:51 AM

Here’s gloss black (personally not a fan—give me flat black!!)

Old 10-29-2018, 09:59 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Are those the final sizings offered for 17"? Wish there was a 17x8 with more offset like +45 or something.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
I agree.

The pricing is on point IMO considering the used market and popularity. Sure as a consumer, cheaper would be better, but I think for what it is, Matt did not overprice them. The EVOII were supposedly designed by the same designer as the original and they're being produced by the #2 forging manufacturer in Japan. The rereleased MF10's were $3300ish a set for comparison and all King did was convince Mugen to do a limited production run. Matt actually had to go out and buy the rights to the wheel, pay for a new design and manufacturer, recreate graphics and stickers, etc. I think all things considered, $2600-2800 is not bad at all for brand new wheels with the latest manufacturing process. On the subject of quality, the original EVOs were lauded partially because they came from some mysterious russian wheel company who made them out of scrap tank metal or whatever. But if you actually follow regamaster EVO groups and classifieds you'd know that the originals develop a perpendicular crack on the inside lip. It's not a rare occurrence either. The fact that the original wheels are all 20+ years old probably doesn't help.

On another note, i'm frankly surprised Matt isn't offering flat black. Maybe he doesn't want to step on Spoon's toes? Or maybe he will offer it in the future? I haven't asked. But a flat black offering would definitely be the choice for the guys wanting the original Spoon look but don't like the changes made to the newly designed SW388s.
Eh. I get all of this & don't denigrate folks for buying them if they like them. I also doubt these will hold value like the old russian regas.

It just rubs me the wrong way personally. I wouldn't buy AJ1 if Nike sold the rights to Li-Ning and they tweaked a couple things and re-intro'd them (if Nike had ever disc'd the AJ1), ditto for buying an Eames Lounge Chair if Herman Miller had sold the rights to Ikea. Nothing wrong with it & I appreciate ICB doing things the right way (especially getting them made by TWS, it is definitely a better wheel than the original), just not for me.

(I also think the reverse lip looks way, way, way worse than the old step lip)

17x9.5 +48 is the TRUTH though.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:38 AM
Community Organizer

I agree.

the same company thats making the new EVOs is also the ones making the spoon wheels so im sure theres some type of agreement on the flat black
Old 10-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Community Organizer

Here’s gloss black (personally not a fan—give me flat black!!)

i feel the lip stickers are too much for the black wheel would look better without
Old 10-29-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Eh. I get all of this & don't denigrate folks for buying them if they like them. I also doubt these will hold value like the old russian regas.

It just rubs me the wrong way personally. I wouldn't buy AJ1 if Nike sold the rights to Li-Ning and they tweaked a couple things and re-intro'd them (if Nike had ever disc'd the AJ1), ditto for buying an Eames Lounge Chair if Herman Miller had sold the rights to Ikea. Nothing wrong with it & I appreciate ICB doing things the right way (especially getting them made by TWS, it is definitely a better wheel than the original), just not for me.

(I also think the reverse lip looks way, way, way worse than the old step lip)

17x9.5 +48 is the TRUTH though.
Yeah different strokes man. People will make their own decisions on these wheels, I just find those that argue for the originals don't really have much to stand on. Most just like to think of themselves as 'purists' of some sort--trust me there are a lot of them in the Mugen community who hated on any re-release because it was taking away from the value of their hoarded parts or made them feel less special.

The only reason these would not hold their value like originals is just because they are readily available and will likely have higher production numbers. Supply and demand, so can't do anything about that unless Matt wants to artificially create a supply shortage. Honestly, like i said, the originals are likely inferior in every way. Sure because of rarity, the originals may maintain some value, but my suspicion is that the market for the originals will shrink. People will wonder what the point is of hunting and buying used and beat up "originals" when they can spend a few hundred more for the new superior version, especially if you're looking for a specific size and offset that might be rare.

Your comparison about the shoes and furniture doesn't really make sense to me, because you're saying you wouldn't buy them if the rights were sold to an inferior manufacturer which you contradict by (rightfully) stating that Taneisya is better. I mean, I agree. i wouldn't buy the new EVOII either if Rota were the company bringing them back to market.

The lip design is obviously subjective, but the "new lip" is not anything new either. I've seen a lot of people complain they like the old design better, but the original design had 2 different lips available, i think depending on size of the wheel. I personally prefer the EVOII lip design. Had the same lip on my 15" Final Versions and loved it:

The following users liked this post:
RAizzle (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:42 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by cenix
Are those the final sizings offered for 17"? Wish there was a 17x8 with more offset like +45 or something.
as for now only sizes available no word on making different offsets

Quick Reply: Desmond Regamaster Evo is back...