Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do tires tend to "wander" when old?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do tires tend to "wander" when old?

I have Hankook RS2's that are at the end of their life cycle, front tires are near bald on insides...

The car has been pulling hard to the left or right when going over uneven pavement (tarmac wander).

I've never experienced this on any other car this severe. If I am not holding the wheel for a second when it does it the car would probably run off the road!

Is this normal S2000 behavior on worn tires? The alignment is good, this has simply gotten worse the older these tires get. On smooth highways the car tracks perfectly straight.

thoughts?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Yes. My camber was off so my tires wore out in the insides too. It was a struggle to keep my car in one lane at freeway speeds. Got new tires and the car felt like it was new again. I fixed my camber so my tires are wearing out evenly - now it's not as bad when they get old.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though you say its not the alignment, I still think it is. Toe in/out, camber, and possibly tire pressures?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If a tire is worn on one side it will affect alignment. Running a lot of camber probably means you should re-align more often than stock for best handling.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 PM

hey jlude,

i have the exact same problem except my tires are not worn at all. they're pretty new actually. i've heard that cheap tires will do the same, so that could be my problem.

sorry i couldn't be more help, but would you mind providing an update after you change your tires? i'm curious if your problem gets fixed. thanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:32 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

OP, how do you know the alignment is good? I came back from the Dragon and now my front right tire is bald on the inside and the car pulls right. Over time (and with aggressive driving), your alignment will change.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
OP, how do you know the alignment is good? I came back from the Dragon and now my front right tire is bald on the inside and the car pulls right. Over time (and with aggressive driving), your alignment will change.
I can not be 100% sure the alignment is still within factory specs but it was aligned 15,000 miles ago when the tires were still near new and the wear pattern is exactly how it wore on the last set, my steering wheel is still dead center and the car tracks straight and true on flat pavement. I was not aware alignment could change from tire wear, as alignment settings are not variable unless they get moved by impact or a nut loosens up.

Is camber adjustable on the S2000? I had the shop adjust my alignment to USDM S2000 factory specs last time...should I do less negative camber up front?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Tire wear will affect how your car tracks, but not necessarily the suspension alignment specs.

Camber is adjustable from the factory, yes. I'd do -1.0f and -2.0r and leave the other settings stock. I would also inquire about your alignment settings. Get a before and after snapshot from your tech.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15,000 miles ago? Bro your alignment is off.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old tires are not going to make the car wander. Like others I would say alignment.

Quick Reply: Do tires tend to "wander" when old?