Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop ZIII

Old 08-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
Variety and longevity. I am in the same boat as Centurions2k. My 71r have 1 (maybe 2) more events on them. Rs4 are currently the tire I am thinking of switching to. The 71r wear fast, so if I can get a few more events out of a set, it will equate to a decent savings. I run hpde, so fractions of a second are not important. I prefer Dunlop's sidewalks to Hankook, so I would be more interested in running the ZIII than I would the RS4.
Ah. Gotcha.

Thr 71R wear slows way down after 1/2 life. Mine have 7 track days and ehhhhh ...5k? miles?

I go to GMR a lot...so the OUTside shoulders of the left side tires (especially LR) wear out much faster. I had them flipped. However, it only helps a little, because now they become the inside shoulder of the right side lol.

If it weren't for 1 very worn tire...I could get like 1-3 more track days out of the set. In fact...I have a new set in the garage, but since my old ones are still hanging on, I haven't installed them.

More importantly....they're still sticky! Not as sticky as new, obviously, but they work well.

In my experience, Z2's and RS3's lasted long in terms of tread. But for HPDE use, which sees a lot of heat cycles due to short, hot stints followed by long cool downs and longer durations of street use....the problem with Z2's and RS's was that the tires became hockey pucks over time. So they became effing useless before they wore out.

What good is tons of tread if they feel like shit?

For this reason, I found that the 71R actually had more USEABLE life. Even when they harden up, they're about as fast/faster than fresh RS's or Z2's.

But I guess we'll see how the RS4 and Z3 do with resisting hardening up. The RS4 certainly doesn't seem much faster than the RS3. So hopefully, they worked on the compound resisting becoming useless.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:16 AM
ado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
Variety and longevity. I am in the same boat as Centurions2k. My 71r have 1 (maybe 2) more events on them. Rs4 are currently the tire I am thinking of switching to. The 71r wear fast, so if I can get a few more events out of a set, it will equate to a decent savings. I run hpde, so fractions of a second are not important. I prefer Dunlop's sidewalks to Hankook, so I would be more interested in running the ZIII than I would the RS4.
I didn't know Dunlop and Hankook made sidewalks. You learn something new every day.

On a serious note, will the ZIII make you faster than me at auto-x TJ?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ado
I didn't know Dunlop and Hankook made sidewalks. You learn something new every day.

we will never know.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ado

You would know about dunlop's awesome sidewalks if you weren't putzing around in a Swift. Dunlops's sidewalks are like those from suburbs with white picket fences, while Hankook are like those from NYC, covered in trash and smells of urine.
It will if I put those crazy cool scene point tire stickers on the sides. Each IG like is equal to .1 second.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jumped off the ZII sidewalk for RS4s this April, then went to the mountains... Of course neither of you could be bothered. The RS4s were much more responsive than my previous RS3s that I never really enjoyed, and an upgrade over the ZII as well. Unfortunately it wasn't a straight comparison as I went 17x9 255 squared with the RS4s from OEM AP2V1s with 225/255 previously. I would not hesitate to mix it up and try the RS4s, they're very enjoyable if perhaps not as fast as 71s. Good Luck, we're all counting on you.