Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effect of front camber while turning?

Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
When I am cornering very hard (hard enough to get pulled over if a cop saw me), and a hit a bump mid corner, there is only mild rubbing. If a little bit of camber could fix this I might do it. But I am not modifying my fenders.

My coilovers are adjustable and I can just raise the ride height up a little bit to avoid rubbing. This is not the "cool" thing to do, but it would be effective. I could also install stronger anti-sway bars, which would probably be a decent idea anyway.
Raising the car or adding a thicker front sway bar may limit some of the opportunities you may encounter to rub and damage your tires/fenders, but it still does nothing to give you more room or alter your wheel path under compression. So the outcome is still the same given the chance, though yes the chance may be reduced. Also realize that both raising the front of your car and adding a thicker sway up front will change how your car handles, this may or may not be a trait you end up liking and seems a bit drastic to me for the sol purpose of preventing rubbing when you can do some simple things that wont effect how your car handles as a remedy. You might as well just stretch a skinnier tire up front to make clearance and leave everything else alone, and I hate to say that because I'm a more tire is better kind of guy, but admittedly I'm getting a little frustrated with your position on the subject. Really you should have known through your research that your wheel and offset size was going to be an issue with stock fenders. There is no lack of information out here.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 AM

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

When I am cornering very hard (hard enough to get pulled over if a cop saw me), and a hit a bump mid corner, there is only mild rubbing. If a little bit of camber could fix this I might do it. But I am not modifying my fenders.My coilovers are adjustable and I can just raise the ride height up a little bit to avoid rubbing. This is not the "cool" thing to do, but it would be effective. I could also install stronger anti-sway bars, which would probably be a decent idea anyway.
buddy u can do anything ud like but if dont listen to the ones that have done it b4 and regret it u will damage the fenders. roll them then look or raise that front end. i wish i wouldve done some fender mods b4 i put on a 18/8-48 wheel and 2254018 tire but now im doin other fender "mods" because i didnt do it the 1st time. im on hard konis also and espelir springs. im now in the market for 20mm fenders to replace my buckled ones b4 i replace wheels with 18/8-35
Old 03-18-2013, 07:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what I'll do in the short term is raise the car a tad... 1/4" should do. Rolling the fronts will NOT prevent tire/fender contact while cornering hard. The only thing it will prevent is the tire from grabbing the inner fender lip. I get that, and I agree it's important. Even if you completely eliminate that lip via rolling you still have to contend with the outside of the fender - which obviously doesn't go anywhere when you roll the inside lip.

The basic problem is that the car is too low for the amount of sway you are seeing while cornering. You can either raise the height, or reduce sway. Both should have the same effect.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Whatever you say. Clearly you know best in this even though I run much more aggressive front wheels than you and I have no issues with rubbing when turning. What you are rubbing on is the fender liner which gets trimmed slightly when you roll the fenders. Then the lip of the fender and the fender liner are out of the way. Finally your suspension shouldn't have enough compression for the tire to contact the outter most lip of the fender.

This is what happens to front fenders once the liner is gone and the tire can grab that lip.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 AM

If what I'm saying is completely wrong, let me know.

If you have enough suspension compression such that you are risking grabbing the inner fender lip, then you have enough compression to also make contact with the outside fender as well, since they are essentially level with each other. You mention yourself that your setup should not allow this.

Theoretically you could tear up your fenders on a completely stock setup if you had enough suspension compression to make fender contact. The real problem here is low ride height and lack of suspension stiffness, not wheel offset.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can theorize until the cows come home, but the bottom line is experience trumps theory on this topic. You've received solid and unanimous feedback from a handful of guys with first hand experience. It would be silly and costly to ignore the help these guys have given. Anyhow, I guess we will see you posting HERE in the future.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Community Organizer

If what I'm saying is completely wrong, let me know.

If you have enough suspension compression such that you are risking grabbing the inner fender lip, then you have enough compression to also make contact with the outside fender as well, since they are essentially level with each other. You mention yourself that your setup should not allow this.

Theoretically you could tear up your fenders on a completely stock setup if you had enough suspension compression to make fender contact. The real problem here is low ride height and lack of suspension stiffness, not wheel offset.
I think you should just do what you want. Then you can learn for yourself if it was the proper solution or not. Don’t theorize anymore.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Look guys, I'm not looking to insult anyone here. I appreciate the feedback. What is frustrating though is that no one seems want to directly counter the things I'm suggesting. If I'm wrong, I want to be told why I'm wrong so I can better understand how things work.

s2000Junky... looking at your avatar for instance. When you're turning can you debate the fact that your tire is going to hit your fender if the wheel gets compressed more than about an inch? Rolling the front fender would only give you clearance equal to the thickness of the fender liner (plus fender plugs).
Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Community Organizer

Look guys, I'm not looking to insult anyone here. I appreciate the feedback. What is frustrating though is that no one seems want to directly counter the things I'm suggesting. If I'm wrong, I want to be told why I'm wrong so I can better understand how things work.

s2000Junky... looking at your avatar for instance. When you're turning can you debate the fact that your tire is going to hit your fender if the wheel gets compressed more than about an inch? Rolling the front fender would only give you clearance equal to the thickness of the fender liner (plus fender plugs).
Rolling the fender keeps it from being damaged when/if the tire does make contact, as described several times. You want to create a smooth surface for the tire to make contact with, not fender liner mounting tabs that get grabbed and yanked!

Next, dialing in the appropriate camber and ride height is a crucial aspect in fitment on aggressive offset wheels, plus more negative camber up front performs better if you like to push your car on the track or mountains. You never told us what your camber was, but I assume it is conservative? Pulling in the top of the tire from additional negative camber does give you added clearance under compression in a strait line and when the wheels are turned. Another aspect in this is not bashing into uneven driveways with your wheels turned at full lock, this is a sure way to make contact with your fender, so learning the set up leeway on your car and altering your driving technique when entering and exiting off camber driveways is good practice. You may want to jack up a corner of your car to compress the front wheels and see exactly where your front wheels may be contacting the fender, doing this wile stationery is risk free and will let you see what you need to alter. But no matter what you alter, I highly recommend you roll the front fenders to save them.

And no they don’t hit, because I have the appropriate height/wheel alignment and sidewall profile with rolled and pulled fenders. If I go off a jump and land with my front wheels turned then yes they probably would. But jumping my car with my wheels turned isnt part of the driving technique I employ with this car.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing this back from 4 years of dead lol but I need help. I decided too lower my S2000 another half an inch all the way around too get it exactly where I want it. From the floor too the fender measures 24 and a half inches in the rear and 24in in the front as I like the front a little lower than the rear. So my alignment specs are -1.7 in the front and -2.7 in the rear, which I'm not really worried about the rear cause it doesn't rub. but when I turn in the front my tire touches the fender lip. My fenders are rolled, Help would gladly be appreciated, I just want the abiltity of being able too turn my car all the way without my fender getting f'd up. If you are going to give me alignment specs, please give me alignment specs best for straight line speed as I don't track my car. I will eventually boost the car and just do straight line races. Thanks

Quick Reply: Effect of front camber while turning?