Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling At A Loss

Old 04-01-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Feeling At A Loss

My original intentions for my recently purchased 2002 Suzuka was to buy a set of reconditioned CR wheels from one of the many online vendors. However, they all have the wheels listed but none that I have checked with (or willing to check with due to reputation) have them in stock. In fact, none have a full staggered set of ANY 17” OEM versions and I don’t trust eBay. Short of ordering a set of aftermarket $2000 plus wheels (and seriously cringing about it). or a set of the Chinese AP2V1 knockoffs (which I’m not comfortable with) and having them painted / powdercoated a dark gunmetal, I’m at a loss. I want pristine wheels. The SBC RPF1 color is ok but I’m not a huge fan of the style. Really seeking that OEM flavor.

The tires that came on the car are brand new but dangerous. I need to switch quickly. Suggestions wanted. Am I missing a good reconditioning company that has them in stock?
Old 04-02-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They're out there (CR wheels) but the ones I've seen for sale are priced similar to a set of used aftermarket wheels. And if it were up to me, I'd rather purchase a nice set of used Volk Racing wheels over a set of OEM S2000 wheels. If you're dead set on CR wheels, keep checking on ebay, Craigslist, and Facebook S2000 group pages.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The so-called Chinese AP2V1 wheels seem to be good wheels from notes here. Their price and availability would make them attractive to me.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
john d (04-06-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The so-called Chinese AP2V1 wheels seem to be good wheels from notes here. Their price and availability would make them attractive to me.

-- Chuck
Is this the company everyone is using on eBay?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Set-of-4-...cAAOSwy0JaAuph

I considered just sticking with the 16” stock rims for a season and deciding at a later time. I then checked out available tires. No issues finding the fronts in extreme summer tires but the backs aren’t available in 245/45/16 to compensate for the 8.5” contact patch on the original SO2’s, unless I purchase those outdated tires. Some brands are even a bit larger on the front, seemingly exacerbating the oversteer issue even more. Back to square one it would seem.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:03 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Find any set of used oem ap2 wheels you can find. Buy tires. Stay alert for the CR wheels of your dreams. Sell ap2 wheels once you find cr. Tires will swap over since same size.
john d (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:31 PM

Appreciate the suggestions so far....

So I did some research and I am blending the suggestions here. I ordered the eBay AP2V1 rims for $520 shipped (including tax) and will run them for a season. Not exactly breaking the bank so long as they don’t fail and they seem to be decent quality. This will give me time to decide what I want to do without rashly investing $2400 or so on aftermarket wheels or locating CR rims in good condition at a fair price. When I purchase the permanent set of wheels, I’ll just unload these.

Unfortunately, they don’t come with center caps. From what I have seen, AP1 caps fit 17” rims Correct me if I’m wrong, please. I’ll just use mine (prefer the more simplistic AP1 H over the AP2 anyway) since they are in great condition. However, I’ll need some good lug nuts, probably in black. Suggestions on where to find a quality batch? I need quality without going overboard

Thanks again, gentlemen.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:21 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

On the lug nuts. Just be sure that you match the lug nut seats (taper v. ball) to the seats on those knock off wheels.

I went back to 16 inch wheels and tires after two years on oem ap2 v3 wheels and 17" tires. I prefer the way the car handles and rides on the 16s. To each his own. I mention this because there is a chance I might sell my ap2 v3 wheels at the end of this season. I'm mulling it over. I understand you are looking for the CR color, so these might not suit you.

BTW - that contact patch issue you mention in the staggered tires is a bunch of bunk in my opinion. The modern tires work extremely well. Not an issue at all. In my view that old post on that issue has led many people off the rails on tire selection, including me. There are plenty of excellent modern tire options in both 16 and 17. Plenty of grip. I also don't buy into this notion that you need to select the wider rear tires to deal with oversteer if you drive on the street and you are not driving like a maniac. I drive pretty hard, not once have I even come close to the limit of traction. You do have to slow down in the wet. That I agree with. Don't ask me why I know. But the need to slow down in the wet is real no matter what you have for tires on this car. And, frankly, I'd say the oem s-02 tires (with the "proper" (so-called) rear tire contact patch are among the worst in the wet in my experience. It has little to do with the contact patch width, its the tread design.

Enjoy your car!

Last edited by rpg51; 04-06-2018 at 03:37 AM.
Bri (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
On the lug nuts. Just be sure that you match the lug nut seats (taper v. ball) to the seats on those knock off wheels.

BTW - that contact patch issue you mention in the staggered tires is a bunch of bunk in my opinion. The modern tires work extremely well. Not an issue at all. In my view that old post on that issue has led many people off the rails on tire selection, including me.
Some of these 16” tires are larger on the fronts than stock and at 225, less in the rear by half an inch. While I agree that it may not affect normal driving, it must affect performance levels. That effectively removes half to 3/4 of an inch in the stagger of the car. I’m simply more comfortable going with OEM stagger, particularly in an AP1. I may even go 255 in the rear mimicking the CR to help offset the AP1’s tendencies. While there is a different setup in the CR’s suspension, if it slightly understeers with that tire setup, it should theoretically help an AP1 with oversteer creating a better balance.

The aftermarket AP2V1 rims are identical to the OEM versions in every way cosmetically, so the lugs needed are the same as well. They will work for a season.

Last edited by Brady936; 04-06-2018 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-06-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Brady936
I considered just sticking with the 16” stock rims for a season and deciding at a later time. I then checked out available tires. No issues finding the fronts in extreme summer tires but the backs aren’t available in 245/45/16 to compensate for the 8.5” contact patch on the original SO2’s, unless I purchase those outdated tires. Some brands are even a bit larger on the front, seemingly exacerbating the oversteer issue even more. Back to square one it would seem.
OEM AP1 tire sizes are FINE, regardless of "tread width" variance relative to the ancient OEM AP1 S02s. The impact of outright tread width on real-world street grip is pretty close to nil... If you take into account the greater propensity to hydroplane on wider tires, narrower rear tires can be *less* prone to oversteer in traction-challenged conditions.

Please disregard the stickie! There is no need to run 245/45-16s, and of course you can get MUCH better tires running 225/50-16 rears. And it is NO PROBLEM.

Originally Posted by rpg51
BTW - that contact patch issue you mention in the staggered tires is a bunch of bunk in my opinion.
Totally agree! It is utter b.s. for street driving, and not that big a deal for track driving on DOT race compounds.

Originally Posted by Brady936
Some of these 16” tires are larger on the fronts than stock and at 225, less in the rear by half an inch. While I agree that it may not affect normal driving, it must affect performance levels. That effectively removes half to 3/4 of an inch in the stagger of the car. I’m simply more comfortable going with OEM stagger, particularly in an AP1. I may even go 255 in the rear mimicking the CR to help offset the AP1’s tendencies. While there is a different setup in the CR’s suspension, if it slightly understeers with that tire setup, it should theoretically help an AP1 with oversteer creating a better balance.
I've driven the AP1 on a *wide* range of tread width staggers, and overall handling balance on the street is unaffected. Even at the track the effect on handling balance isn't that big a deal, particularly on a car with stock suspension. Other aspects of tire design (compound, sidewall stiffness, etc.) play a bigger role in how the car handles than "tread width". A more forgiving tire is going to be less likely to get you in trouble with oversteer, and most (probably all) good modern Max and Extreme Performance tires are going to be more forgiving than the OEM S02, particularly in the wet.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Please let us know of your impressions of the eBay wheels.

Quick Reply: Feeling At A Loss