Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have any experience with Hankook td?

Old 11-28-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Arrow Have any experience with Hankook td?

Hello s2ki. Was wondering if anyone has ran the hankook td before. Let me know ur throughts on it and what psi you ran it on and the ambient temps. I'm looking at the c30 compound as I want the tire to last a track day extra.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm running the TD Z221 in C30 Hard now. That's the semi-slick R-comp, not the slick DOT Hoosier competitor. For comparison, my last two sets of tires were Pirelli Trofeo R and Hankook RS3v2. I've never driven NT01, RC1 or RE71R.

Dry Grip: The TD has very good grip, roughly on par with the Trofeo R though the TD needs a lap or two to warm up, while the Trofeo R can be hammered right out of the pits. I found the TD to exhibit less understeer than the Trofeo R, which may be down to construction or the TD's consistent tread pattern compared to the Trofeo R's asymmetrical pattern. The TD also showed less sidewall roll-over on my car (which only has -2.6 front camber). On my car, with the tires up to temp, it would be damn close as to which tire can make more G's. I do prefer the handling of the TD, but both are very forgiving of slip angle.

Heat: The TD handles heat very well. I set my PB on lap 20 of my second session, and lap 40 was within a second of my first lap. On my forth hour I was within 0.5 seconds of my PB, even though I was mentally and physically fatigued. Granted I drove the Trofeo R in the summer and the TD in the fall, but I found the Trofeo R was only good for a few laps before needing to cool down (though it does come back given a cool-down lap). Both tires come back quickly after being overdriven through a corner.

Noise: Holy crap the TD is loud. I mean, you will think your car is broken the first time you roll out. We're talking lifted-truck on mud crawlers noise. I have a full Dynamat interior and my ears were ringing after driving home. The Trofeo R is pretty quiet for a performance tire. On the flip side, the TD provides more auditory feedback about slip angle than the Trofeo R. Get the TD to scream just a bit and it's right in its happy place.

Wear: No contest, TD wins. I got 6 track hours and 1500 street miles out of the Trofeo R. Maybe could have squeezed one more anxious day out of them, but they had taken a beating, especially on the outer edges. Fully slick on the outer half. For the TD, after 300 street miles plus 4 hours on track (4 long heat cycles), they just look broken in. Considering that's basically two full track days, the wear rate is fantastic. Very little wear and these tires show considerably less of the "finely scalloped" look that most tires show after a lapping session. You can really beat the living shit out of these tires. I'd estimate they have six days in them, maybe more. These were 255s, with aero, on a momentum track.

Heat Cycles: The Trofeo R was noticeably slower after 10 20-minute cycles (PB on cycle 6). After 15 cycles, they had lost a lot of grip and were like hockey pucks in the cold. The last time I drove them was around town in a cold drizzle and they were REALLY slippery. I only have 4 hour-long heat cycles on the TD so I can't make a fair comparison there yet. They are still fast after 4 cycles. I suspect that like the RS3, they will eventually cycle out before they wear out, but still be quick enough to enjoy.

If I was running a larger size than 255 on an S2000, I'd get Medium or Soft compound because I think you'd be frustrated trying to get Hards up to temperature. They make a 295/30/18 soft that is mighty tempting if you have overfenders.

Not sure if they actually still manufacture these tires as they are only carried in a few places. But I wish I'd found them a long time ago.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:40 PM

Great write up man. Thanks for all the info. I already ordered the TD in 255 17. I got em for 460$ shipped that's why I wanted to try then cuz they were on a massive deal.

What camber were u running all around? And tire temps cold?

I can easily fit a 305 in the rear but no need. I like the 255s. Maybe when boost arrives Il need to go that big but not yet.

i like tires that scream back at me to let me know their limits just like the rs3. That's good news!!
Old 12-04-2017, 05:38 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
Great write up man. Thanks for all the info. I already ordered the TD in 255 17. I got em for 460$ shipped that's why I wanted to try then cuz they were on a massive deal.

What camber were u running all around? And tire temps cold?

I can easily fit a 305 in the rear but no need. I like the 255s. Maybe when boost arrives Il need to go that big but not yet.

i like tires that scream back at me to let me know their limits just like the rs3. That's good news!!
Where did you get them from? I am interested in these as well, and from what I'm reading will be perfect for my use.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 AM

I got em from performance plus tire.
The following users liked this post:
Kenny_Stang (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
I got em from performance plus tire.
Thanks! Just ordered a set, $447 shipped with 20% off for Black Friday!
Old 12-11-2017, 03:33 AM

Got my tires in on Friday

Old 12-11-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Im ordering a set of these as soon as my RC1s kick the bucket. Such an awesome value for the $$$
Kenny_Stang (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:43 AM

Nice.

Just talked with GTA People and thy said this tire is badass. Better than the NT01. This tire was banned from GTA cuz it's now called a cheater compound.
Kenny_Stang (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Im ordering a set of these as soon as my RC1s kick the bucket. Such an awesome value for the $$$
You may want to get in your order soon, I think they are running low on their stock, and once sold out I doubt they'll be getting any more.
RedCelica (12-11-2017)

Quick Reply: Have any experience with Hankook td?