Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do tires last?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do tires last?

ive never had a rwd car and the tires are 2 different sizes , how do you rotate them ? and how many miles does all the tires get? like a rough estimate

when you rotate the tires do you put the left ones on the right and the rights on the left?
Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 AM

Yes, you can go left to right and vice versa, but NEVER FRONT TO REAR. My rear tires have a habit of hitting the wear markers around 10k. Fronts are usually good for double that, if not more. My Star Specs made it to 8k, but they were almost completely bald at that point. Soft, grippy tires will not last long compared to other tires, but it is worth spending the extra money on those soft, grippy tires.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Rotating side to side isn't worth the effort. IOW, you don't rotate the tires. If you're getting different wear left-side tires vs. right-side tires, your alignment is wack.

Rate of tire wear depends on:
1) The TIRE
2) Alignment
3) type of usage

Rears will typically wear out before the fronts.

If you want maximum life, run "Ultra High Performance" tires instead of "Max Performance" or "Extreme Performance".
For alignment, aim for the minimum amount of toe-in at both ends. Also, you might minimize camber as well, but that doesn't affect tire life as much as toe does, and minimizing camber reduces lateral grip.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Do not rotate directional tires left/right.
To maximize tire life, drive like a pussy. To maximize fun, drive it like you stole it.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:32 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

The best life I've gotten out of tires was with Bridgestones - they typically last me ~17k mi and are good tires. On Kumhos and Sumitomos, the only other brands I've tried, I got ~10k on the Kumhos and 13k on the Sumitomos.

Expect to buy a new set of tires at least once a year.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 AM

Don't rotate them inless u have non stagered set up. Most people seem to last around 10k miles but thats with fun driving. Im on stock CR tires which are very soft and very sticky im at 11300 miles right now and still have a good 6-7k miles left on the rears. I have not tracked the car yet and most of the roads are flat here. So my tires last some time
Old 10-07-2009, 08:11 AM

You can rotate the rears left to right but if they are directional you will need to dismount the tires from the rim and swap them so you can keep them turnning in the same direction. The free rotation that NTB and Discount Tire provide doesn't cover this type of rotation though. They will charge you about $45 to do this on the front and rear. This type of rotation does get a little more life out of the tires. I've done this on my Mercedes (AMG stags) and S2k for a number of tires and it does work. I swap then at about the 50% wear point. You could probably do it more but I don't like to pay for it more often...
Old 10-08-2009, 04:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kZac,Oct 7 2009, 04:04 AM
ive never had a rwd car and the tires are 2 different sizes , how do you rotate them ?
You don't. Check alignment at least twice a year is what the local S mechanic recommends.

Originally Posted by s2kZac,Oct 7 2009, 04:04 AM
and how many miles does all the tires get? like a rough estimate
There's no such thing. Depends a lot on the tires and how you drive. Expect rears to last about half as long as the fronts. Softer tires and more track/autocross days will reduce your tread life. You have to keep an eye on tread depth. Don't assume that your tires will last X amount of miles or you'll end up slamming into something when it rains.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Oct 7 2009, 06:32 AM
The best life I've gotten out of tires was with Bridgestones - they typically last me ~17k mi and are good tires. On Kumhos and Sumitomos, the only other brands I've tried, I got ~10k on the Kumhos and 13k on the Sumitomos.

Expect to buy a new set of tires at least once a year.
Don't mean to hijack, but what kind of Bridgestones did you get?
Old 10-08-2009, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through a set of RE-01R in about 7000 miles. Granted, that was including 8 track days though.

Quick Reply: How long do tires last?