Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a s2000 and now I'm very scared (I need help)

Old 02-22-2019, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not surprised this happened given the tires and what you tried to do (and did). The 135 is also a boat compared to this car

Don't lift mid corner, run good tires, don't smash the gas in the rain and cold and expect nothing to happen. Also upgrade to ap2 wheels if you can. The phrase "commit or eat shit" really applies with this car
Old 04-26-2019, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the help. To make sure the car is ready to be driven ive done the following
bought new rear tires, took it to the dealership for an alignment, oil change and full inspection.
The mechanic that worked on it told me the car has lowering springs, its now aligned properly and he told me that he thought the car was in great condition.
Now ive been keeping the gas steady through corners and pushing the car slightly more each time in roads I'm comfortable with,
Im not as scared as I first was of the car and now learning to enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 560 Likes on 392 Posts

IF you haven't already, take it to an auto-x event. It's the best environment to explore the limits and understand where and when your car breaks traction and with what kind of inputs.

This is safer and more accessible than a track event.

Above all, both auto-x and track events are far safer environments than some winding canyon road, which is the most dangerous environment - errors usually result in crashing into other cars, hitting guard rails, hitting the side of a canyon wall, or going over the side of a canyon cliff...

I will leave you with these warnings gems before really trying to explore the limits on public roads.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/h...er-119374.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/S2000/comme...at_the_s2kult/

https://www.s2ki.com/2018/01/22/s200...-canyon-crash/
Old 05-01-2019, 10:03 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
1. What tires are on the car now? Make/model, age (week/year of production is on the sidewall), tread depth remaining.
2. What alignment settings? A ton of rear toe-in will make the car very twitchy over bumps.
3. Driving: if the back end of this car starts to come around when you're somewhat on the gas, and you LIFT off the gas, that will encourage it to spin.

I don't think you will need to change any hard parts to get the car handling properly.
Older thread but I would have to agree and emphasize #2. A poor alignment made my car feel like absolute crap. It was pulling and jerking the steering wheel and the car would feel unsettling and anything over 40 mph. Turns out I had way too much toe in. And of course if your camber is not in factory specs uneven roads will cause the car to pull with the surface of the roads.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:11 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by s2soonap1
Thank you all for the help. To make sure the car is ready to be driven ive done the following
bought new rear tires, took it to the dealership for an alignment, oil change and full inspection.
The mechanic that worked on it told me the car has lowering springs, its now aligned properly and he told me that he thought the car was in great condition.
Now ive been keeping the gas steady through corners and pushing the car slightly more each time in roads I'm comfortable with,
Im not as scared as I first was of the car and now learning to enjoy it.
Good on you to make sure you are doing the right things to the car! From my experience, completing braking and having constant throttle thru turns is a safe way to make sure you don't experience that snap oversteer from suddenly lifting. In the video you can hear as soon as I lifted off the gas I started to rotate =(. NEVER LIFT
Old 05-03-2019, 03:30 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Keeping throttle on is super nerve wracking when doing it for the first time. But you have to trust in the car that it will grip all the way through, unless you're pedal to the metal and at that point you're just asking for it.