Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowest Profile Tire for Parking

Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably Bendpak... though I realized yesterday that their smallest model will be too narrow for the nice bridge jacks, so I need to measure the width out again. They seem the best quality to me, their drawings are online, certified... maybe I was sold on their their page specifically showing why theirs is better. Direct Lift has a place that makes them fairly local to where I work... but, I do not think I like it. I learned yesterday that Backyard Buddy can potentially change the positions for where the locks go... seems like they are built in the USA too, everything else is Chinese. I have not researched Backyard Buddy yet.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:12 AM

This is probably the first picture I have ever uploaded to a message board; had to figure out how to shrink it down in the new MS Paint =P
So, this is how mine was done -- I have that weird slope in the ceiling which made things difficult, but I was told that having the rails at an angle like that is better for the opener. The jack-shaft opener is on the other side.

I feel you on making the garage tidy, but I did not have the time or money... so it is the original door and everything -- just managed to get the gecko poop off the walls. The house was a short sale, so, very slowly making things look nice. You can get casters to move the lift out if necessary, I will depend on that later.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Yeah bendpack seems to be the one everyone goes with and they have a lot of options.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

For some reason I thought the lift was already purchased and installed...

-- Chuck
Old 06-07-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If it was me, I'd put the S2000 outside on jack stands, and double-up car covers with a proper water-resistant cover and a soft impact cover over it for hail.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:02 PM

Yeah, this is ongoing. I measured, thought I could do it, then did the garage... now just double-checking while I discover new things. Exhausted now, so I imagine I will end up measuring and researching this weekend, and contacting someone about a lift on Monday. I do not know anything about anything, but, it does seem like Bendpak is the way to go.

I did not really consider leaving it outside (maybe I should have); I imagine my house is 4ft - 6ft above street level... probably could fit 8 cars on the driveway, but, I would not check oil on it. The area we are in, supposedly, it is growing faster than LA in the 70s -- I suppose I am a little concerned about the security. I have neighbors that compare whose grass is greener... are irritated by the Miata that never moves, etc. I know this is the daily grind and it does roll off my back, but, at the same time, when I get home... I just want to close the garage door, if that makes sense. Obviously, I am not extroverted. I suppose the lift connotates that this is my Ferrari and it is active compared to the "someday" in the driveway -- I know that is not reality, particularly to those that do not even have a garage... but, it helps my own mentality. I do appreciate the suggestion though... I really had not considered it; I have a friend in Canada that did not see the problem with the car being outside, I just brushed it off as, lol, "you do not understand"... despite having lived here for a little while. He has a Silvia and a Forester STi with no covered parking... and is constantly wrenching on them, waxing off maple syrup, shooing moose, etc.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:10 PM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Maybe I glanced over it, but nowhere do you mention your ceiling hight or other constraints. That’s ultimataley what’s driving the solution.

If you have to resort to swapping out wheels or deflating tires to make this work, I just don’t think that makes a lot of sense. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 PM

Just realized that the driveway gradient does not make sense; I was imagining the car on jack stands for some reason. A lot of this is admittedly subjective...

Yah, you are right, I have not mentioned the constraints... probably, because I am not completely comfortable with them and I need a different lift than expected. The ceiling is 112in (9' 4"). The S2000 is 50", Civic is 55.5". The platform is 4.5" in width... that is a total of 110", if everything is literally touching.

Ok, so... with 2" gained from removing the top and using a car cover and another ~3" (optimistically) gained from using the spare tires... brings the total to about 105", if everything is literally touching.

With the tires still inflated, give each car 2" of headroom... the total is 109". Add the extra 3" of upward movement to unlatch the locks, it is exactly 112"... so, the tires will probably have to be under or un-inflated.

Of course, that assumes that the locks are in perfect positions, which would be the reason to go to the Backyard Buddy.

Looking at the BendPak locks... and this is about right for all the models, but they are at different locks -- the bottom lock would have to be at 58.2" - 59.9"... which would make the top at 47.2" - 48.9"

S2000, with inflated tires will be at 45"... so, without air, it will be close, but I think it should work. I mean that is where I am at right now.

I am stressed about this and I am aware this might not work... or even that it could work, and someone texting while driving totals the S2000 the minute it comes off the lift. I figure that is the cost of living. Lift gets me closer to the dream of having something like a shop at home... and you never know what will happen, maybe I will have two sports cars in the future... or maybe I will be able to change the suspension in one or both cars that makes this more feasible. I mean, I just do not know...

The car is not being driven... actually, the power steering is not working at the moment, which sucks -- but, that is another issue. I do not necessarily have the time for a weekend car, but, if I have a plan, like a DE or... just a day for me (and the wife or an alternating kiddo), then it is doable... and, possibly, the best scenario for the car at present. I mean, I could have sold the car and paid debt, save the retirement... etc. -- but, I mean, at what point would any of those things actually would have been solved at the cost of the S2000? I do not mean that the implication is to ditch the S2K, but, maybe this is what my conscience is screaming at me. Anyway, I have no idea what the situation will be or how I will feel in the future...

Heh, I remember someone saying, "Everything in moderation, even moderation."

No idea...
Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Hm. Have you considered looking into storing the car someplace else? For instance there is a guy that goes to my gym and he lives in a high rise but he has a noble that he stores at a collector car garage thats in the area. I think he said it was something like $300 a month (totally subjective and could easily be more or less in your area if such a thing exists). They also keep the car on a battery tender and I think fire it up from time to time if he doesn't drive it. Maybe worth seeing if there is something like that in the area where you could securely store the car. You are looking at a fair bit of money to do all of this to the garage and it would really sure to get everything in there and find your are an inch short on space or something. Talking with an installer for the lift I think is a good next step or talking to bendpack with your measurements and see if they have any suggestions but maybe also look and see if there is any places that store cars specifically near you and look into that as well.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:49 AM

I did not know there were such things (wow, a Noble!).
I suppose, my rationale is... I have money now that I have put aside for this, and it will be more/less resolved. If I am spending so much on rent... then I have less to work with if I manage to convince the HOA to let me build a RV garage (and nothing like an amateur machine shop) or dealing with the normal wear and tear, like emergency room visits and such. For instance, I mean if I rented a shop for $400 (I think that is what my friends did many years ago)... then I do not think I would have the money to actually work on the vehicle... or at that point I may need a lift anyway.

But... I am not sure what I will do if this falls through, hence the procrastination. Down the street, there is a storage facility... probably $150/mo to store the car... but, that still seems expensive to me. Actually, the aforementioned friends, that whole thing fell through... and one of those guys had to move his 924 into said storage facility. He was going to put a LSX in it and make it into some NASA time trial car... but, it is a stripped shell he is paying rent on -- that I am not sure he has visited in as much time as I have been trying to enjoy my own car. I guess that is my fear.

I probably should stop trying to justify this... but, our family is pretty weird compared to the norm. A lot of this is also based on what the family wants and the wife's feelings are that, you can do as you wish, but you have to be with us. I suppose I believe that too. There are exceptions (like if I went to the track, but I would like to have them involved later)... but, generally if I have to stop somewhere to get shaving cream or whatever, the family comes. It has its pros & cons, though, it has outright saved my ass a couple of times...

If it comes to that, which it may... at least, I will give it some thought when I get time to this weekend. That is a pretty sweet service though...

Quick Reply: Lowest Profile Tire for Parking