Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowest Profile Tire for Parking

Old 06-13-2018, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc
I personally don't think you have the ceiling height to make this work. Sure, could you technically, but it's a monumental effort and rather inconvenient. It seems like people don't consider lifts until at least 11' of ceiling height. And generally both cars using the lift aren't dailies. What if you change your daily driver? Do you really want to crawl into your car everyday? Or inflate/change wheels just to drive your S2000? Are you a mechanic by trade to where you'll be working on your car regularly? Is having a car lift really saving you that much time as opposed to jacking the car up?

What people are trying to do is talk some sense into your situation. It's coming across in a crass tone, but the point remains.
Well, actually, I appreciate it -- all I did was ask about the tires since I did not know... and I have ended-up with helpful advice and what people would do if in my shoes; I figured I would get an answer and I would be on my own to fully intended to take responsibility for whatever mistakes. I think the problem is, other than not realizing that people would care what I was doing, I do not think I can describe exactly how things are that made me arrive at this point. On the other hand, it takes a lot of effort for someone with my personality to reach out for help... I am sure you can see my post count versus how long I have been registered; my point is that, I will not know whether this is stupid or not until I do it -- for instance, having a rear-mounted engine is generally a really dumb idea -- though Porsche seems to be making it work well... or I guess the same could be said about Ford making aluminum trucks.

To answer some questions though; I guess I have been driving cars for awhile now that really put a toll on me and the family, hence the brand new daily driver -- I will probably hold on to it, until, realistically, someone runs into me -- but, ideally, 10 years or so. In the event that I get a new daily, I suppose the answer is, I will just deal with that when the time comes -- it is easier for me to handle daily life in a smaller car with my driving style, but with everyone buying SUV's now, there is no telling.

So, about time, I meant it... however, I still do things like mow my own lawn. I was taking the daily drivers to the stealership for maintenance because I did not feel that I had the time or energy to do it myself -- though, some stupid issues kept happening and I was paying a lot... I guess I was scared because of something that had happened to my mom recently. She has a E46 M3... knows nothing about cars; the dealership has been servicing it... and long story aside, they swapped her limited-slip differential with an open differential for some reason. I decided that it was time to do our own maintenance; I wanted to show my kids the cool things that they could have (tools or otherwise) and what they could do with a little work... versus what my parents do, which is throw money at problems.

So, my history, no... I work in a warehouse with my wife. We stagger our hours to take care of our kids, so, I wake-up at 4am to pick up my children from school... she comes in later and leaves later to drop them off -- obviously, it is summer now, but it is more/less still in effect. I am running out of the house every morning, so, taking off a car cover before I leave will probably not happen -- and I suppose I could get a car cover in the event that we expect hail, but, how do I defend against baseball-sized hail... or how inconvenient will it be for us for my car to be out of commission? My wife is not from the United States, she is capable, but, our roles are really weird compared to most families for that reason, I think.
When I had to drop out of the university, I was studying computer science and engineering... I got hooked into Formula SAE, which is probably the real catalyst for all this -- so, I know a lot of things about vehicles and I want to learn more as I learned a lot about being an engineer, but, not so much about being a mechanic. I do not imagine I have much more of a chance to become a professional anything, so... you know for me, this is more about continuing my life as more than another cog in the system. S2000 also represents a dark past for me... that is why it is difficult for me to approach, but I love it all the same... and this is me trying to approach it. The dream later on is to have whatever else people dream about... mine is a RX-7 and a NSX -- hoping to add on to the house one day, but that is dealing with the city, the HOA and the money plus time.

My wife has her own past to deal with, I mean, I do not really want to bring up too much publicly... but, you know, if I go get an oil change somewhere or something, the whole family is with me, no questions asked. Obviously, that has its own issues... but, if we spend more time at home, I tend to have more freedom not worrying about them and we can get more done. There lots of little things like that, I am sure people will say "who the eff cares"... but, that is my life. I hope that is a satisfactory answer; I do admit that this whole thing could not happen or come crashing down still... and that everyone might be quite right; I mean, I am still trying to figure this out... I do not see this as "I told you so and you did it anyways."

As for the hassle... I do not know. Everything is a hassle isn't it? But, no, thanks again!

I have been in contact with Bendpak; I have taped off the garage yesterday, talked with the family... all these decisions happen slowly, but I think I will contact Backyard Buddy to see if they can help. The ceiling joist is prominently in my mind as well.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:42 AM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

So I see that you live in DFW. Why not upgrade the house instead? Houses are still relatively cheap compared to the rest of the country, even though they've spiked quite a bit over the last few years. You also can get a good amount more land and house if you're willing to move farther away.
I was able to build a house that was still within the city, on a non-tiny plot of land, has a 4 car garage and 11 ft ceilings. Sure 4 car garages are much more rare, but 3 car garages are common enough to consider it.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.

Last edited by JS2k.com; 06-13-2018 at 06:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Xeme (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by JS2k.com
So I see that you live in DFW. Why not upgrade the house instead? Houses are still relatively cheap compared to the rest of the country, even though they've spiked quite a bit over the last few years. You also can get a good amount more land and house if you're willing to move farther away.
I was able to build a house that was still within the city, on a non-tiny plot of land, has a 4 car garage and 11 ft ceilings. Sure 4 car garages are much more rare, but 3 car garages are common enough to consider it.
Ugh, that was my dream. I wanted to go to Alvarado initially, but, just the practicality of everything... and having everyone agree. I am not sure if I am willing to go through all that again, of course I just bought the car and now I am considering the lift. It is possible, I made a lot on the house... basically, we should not be in the area we are in (Keller), but since I jumped on this house when I did, we lucked out. This year and last year were rough on us, daughter was in the ICU for her asthma at the same time we had the tornado... other junk too...

I am trying to stay away from posting again today, one thing that I realized that probably was not connecting... I drive about 3000mi a month. The house thing will probably be in the future, but, I think we are mostly just considering trying to pay this off. I figured I would do something for retirement... not sure, maybe I will kick that idea around today. Seller's market right now, nonetheless. Is that your garage? Beautiful!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 AM

No, I mean, I don't know... the property tax sucks right now. I would have to make the house much nicer than it is, since we got it from a family that could not afford it anymore. I am not sure how the strain would be with buying a house and selling the house would be at the same time... I think you were wise to point that out though. I guess there is no real time line for this. I honestly thought I would conjure something ahead of the hail season, but, I guess the next thing is if we go to my wife's country during winter break.