S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-tires-56/)
-   -   Lugs for JDM BBS 16" Wheels (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-tires-56/lugs-jdm-bbs-16-wheels-1180159/)

rpg51 12-09-2017 11:14 AM

Lugs for JDM BBS 16" Wheels

1 Attachment(s)
Do these wheels take honda oem lugs with ball seats? Or do they use a taper seat lug?

zeroptzero 12-09-2017 03:56 PM

you should run the oem s2k Honda ball seat lugs, I've been running them for a few years. I run some longer length ball seat lugs on the front since I have extended studs, but for standard length studs run the factory lugs.

did you find a set of JDM rims, post up some pics !

rpg51 12-09-2017 07:57 PM

I did. They are on the way to Vermont as we speak. These are a couple of pics from the seller. They appear to be in great shape. If you drill down on some of the pics you can see some fairly minor finish imperfections, but no wheel damage of any kind. I'll decide what to do about the finish when I get them here. I might refinish (paint, not powder coat) over the winter. But, I might just run them as is for next season.

Now I'm over on tire rack and reading threads here mulling over tires. I'm leaning toward Continental ExtremeContact Sports or Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s in stock sizes.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...6075263253.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...e3de280ba0.jpg

zeroptzero 12-10-2017 04:53 AM

oh they do look really good, that is an excellent find. I've refinished a couple pairs of those rims in the past, regular painting and clear-coating works great, personally I'd shy away from powdercoating due to the heat process, though some say it is not an issue. Your back is gong to love you when it comes to installing those rims, they are so much lighter than stock.

As far as tires go, I went with Bridgestone RE-11's, I like the asymmetric tire pattern so I can rotate them side to side on the same axle. The new firehawks look somewhat similar but I haven't looked at their specs lately. All the best with your choice.

rpg51 12-10-2017 08:27 AM

Tire rack is not showing the Bridgestone RE-11s available in the oem sizing for the front. Also, they are high grip 200 treadwear tires. There are a number of other 200 high grip tires available, but that is not the direction I am going in. I'd like to get a good medium grip tire - maybe 350 treadwear or so.

freq 12-10-2017 03:51 PM

Drool worthy.

darcyw 12-10-2017 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51 (Post 24394247)
Tire rack is not showing the Bridgestone RE-11s available in the oem sizing for the front. Also, they are high grip 200 treadwear tires. There are a number of other 200 high grip tires available, but that is not the direction I am going in. I'd like to get a good medium grip tire - maybe 350 treadwear or so.

try the continental extreme contact sports.
darcy

zeroptzero 12-10-2017 06:50 PM

I went with 245-45-16 on the rears, and I've been very happy with that sizing . 225's on the rear always look a bit too narrow to me from a purely cosmetic perspective, plus I think they give a bit more safety factor on an ap1 with a bit less oversteer, I don't mind a hint of understeer on a street driven setup. I always get a bit more wear on my passenger side rear tire, so having the asymmetric tread pattern allows me to rotate wheels side to side and even out the wear pattern that way.

You can see my rims and tires in the link below

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76962&stc=1&d=15129637 21

rpg51 12-11-2017 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24394390)
I went with 245-45-16 on the rears, and I've been very happy with that sizing . ...

I would consider 245/45-16 for the rear but I'm not seeing any tires in that size that are of any interest to me - at least not on Tire Rack. So far as I can tell the Bridgestone RE-11s are not available in that size now. In general - one big reason I am returning to 16 inch wheels is because the "bigger is better" frame of mind I got into has not panned out. I find that the advantages of the 17 inch wheels and high grip tires are not particularly important to me because the only time they really come into play is if I were to drive like a complete idot on the streets. I'm more interested in a lively feel at sane speeds than I am in raw all out grip.

I think I am going to order a set of the Conti Extreme Contact Sports in oem sizing. I may order two sets of rears at the same time. I burn through rears at least twice as fast as fronts. The stagger ratio is less than the OEM set up with these tires. But, I don't expect issues with oversteer given my driving style. Even though I am trying this 16 inch world, I do recognize that there are fewer options when you start shopping for tires. I went this route after researching the tires a bit and satisfying myself that even though the options are fewer, there is an adequate supply for my purposes.

I have to say - it is a bit surprising to me that everyone, even people like me who do not do track or autocross stuff, are seemingly convinced that 17 inch wheels and tires are better. Its seems like you two guys are the only people on here who are running 16s. I bet if there was a stronger market for 16 inch tires the manufacturers would respond. Maybe some of the others here will see the light? :)

Is it spring yet? Good lord its going to be a long time without my S to drive. I'm having S withdrawal symptoms. :)

zeroptzero 12-11-2017 02:32 PM

my motivation for these rims was the light weight, previously I had ap2v2 and ap2v3 rims and they felt like lead weights compared to these ap1 jdm bbs rims. I wasn't searching for ultimate grip, there were other factors that appealed to me besides that. l know Zdan makes some good points in favour of 16 inch rims, and there are quite a few racers that still use 16 inch rims for a number of reasons. There is an entire thread about meaty tires and 16 inch rims in the official official forum. I shed 8 lbs per corner going from ap2v3 rims and tires to my jdm ap1 bbs setup, and I don't ever want to go back to 17's. Keeping the weight of the rim and tire closer to the center of the hub is always good.