Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Old 12-31-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Super Sports

So I got my 18" Work wheels a couple weeks ago and just recently had them put on. For tires I chose the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. No, they were not cheap, but for me they were the best option available. I was looking for a very high performance tire that would ride decently well, not kill me in the rain, and get high levels of grip in a variety of conditions. I got them from Discount Tire, as they were by far the cheapest there.

What I'm coming from
I've owned my S2000 for about a year and drive aggressively on the street. I go fairly easy on the brakes, but cornering and acceleration would scare most normal people. I push it pretty hard when safe to do so. I have never tracked my car, but might in the future just for the fun of it. I have no aspirations of building a race car from my S.

Previous Setup
OEM 17" AP2V2 wheels
Victra Maxxis MA-Z1 215/45/17 tires in the front
Bridgestone RE050 245/40/17 tires in the back

The Victras are not a well known tire, but they are surprisingly decent. They grip well, handle rain well, and ride reasonably well. I have absolutely NO issues with understeer with these tires. I actually have far more issues with the rear breaking loose than the front with this setup. The Victras can take a beating and do it with grace.

The RE050s I have more mixed feelings about. They ride like bricks and grip is starting to wane as they near the end of their treadlife (currently about 30% tread left). Grip is still fairly decent in warm weather, though in colder temperatures they are MUCH harder.

New Setup
Work Meister S1 3pc (18x8 +43 Front, 18x9.5 +62 Rear)
Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/40/18 Front
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35/18 Rear

Weights
One of the things I was concerned about with this setup was keeping weight down. I knew the Meisters were a relatively heavy wheel, and that was another reason I went with the PSS - it was a light tire. Here is the total weight of the wheel + tire setup. Keep in mind the current setup is fairly worn and that new tires would be a bit heavier.

Previous setup:
Front = 42.6lbs
Rear = 46.2lbs

New setup:
Front = 44.4lbs
Rear = 47.6lbs

My scale probably isn't the most accurate in absolute terms, but it's likely good for measuring differences in weight. With the new setup I only picked up 1.8lbs per corner in the front and 1.4lbs per corner in the back. For the increase in size of the new setup, this isn't bad at all, IMO.

The tires

225/40/18 on the left, 255/35/18 on right.

It's curious to me that the grooves on the 225 are much larger than the grooves on the 255 width tire. My guess is that Michelin assumes people running the 225 size are putting it on the front of the car - which would make it more critical for channeling water than the rear tire size.

Groove width on the 225/40/18

Groove width on the 255/40/18

Tread width of the 225/40/18

Tread width of the 255/40/18

Impressions of the tires

I still have some issues with my wheels (long story) so I haven't gotten to drive on the tires much. However I have taken them out twice for a total of maybe 25 miles of driving. So basically they are still brand new. I don't even think the mold release compound has worn off yet. The first couple of rides have left a very positive impression. Despite moving from a 17" to 18" wheel setup, the ride is actually smoother on these tires. This is impressive considering I gave up 1/2" of sidewall.

Grip seems VERY high. I took a couple hard 90 degree corners at a speed where the RE050 would have gotten squirrely and started to break loose from the rear. The PSS just stuck with no drama. Likewise, I took a couple 270 degree freeway on-ramps at a very high speed and they very stable with no loss of grip. A similar speed on the previous setup would have resulted in the twitchy, "I'm about to break loose" feedback from the tires. None of that here. At this point I wasn't comfortable pushing them any harder, though I'm sure they could have taken it.

Keep in mind this was on brand new, cold tires, in 55 degree weather. It's too early to make any quantitative statements, but I suspect these things are going to be beastly once they fully break in and you get a bit of heat in them.

I will continue to update this post over the next several months as the tires break in and I get more street time on them. Feel free to ask any questions
Old 12-31-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interested in the updates. I just bought a new set of DD wheels, and the super sports were of interest to me while looking for tires. Plz update us!
Old 12-31-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

nice review
Old 12-31-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I am wrong but don't these tires also carry some sort of mileage guarantee? I swear I've seen Jim talking about that.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Froth.
Correct me if I am wrong but don't these tires also carry some sort of mileage guarantee? I swear I've seen Jim talking about that.
Yes, 30k miles if rotated, or 15k if not rotated.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by Froth.' timestamp='1325366266' post='21276171
Yes, 30k miles if rotated, or 15k if not rotated.
30k non-staggered
Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this tires and I love them. The only thing I was in a "track" event and had a slide and looks like the tires got to hot and they were still sliding two corners later, don't know why, but I got out and the rest of the day was fine with great grip. Not the fastest times for all cars but the fastest ever for me in the go kart track. Wanted to go under the minute and got a 59.3 the lap before the slide. For some reference another member is in the 56's in RS3's but he's a better driver than me

Here's a video, the slide is at 3:50 and the second is at the 4 minute mark.

http://youtu.be/oHB-08ollnA

Here is another from that day were you can see the tire.

http://youtu.be/cj9MNp6Q-lw

Edit: Let me add they are excellent in the rain. And that my setup is 215x45 17 and 245x40 17
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM

very nice, i was debating on these tires in the same size, but ended up with star specs, star specs were a little cheaper, but it appears as if the PSS would last much longer, i'm debating on getting them for my next set, but at 1036 for a set, it seems a little expensive compared to star specs at under 900
Old 01-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They are going to last longer than a tire like the Star Spec. They will also give you better wet traction and ride quality than the Star Spec. They do have the 30K mileage warranty but on the rear of the car it would be 15K. If I can help with anything let me know.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 PM

as always, great info jim, i may consider these for my next set depending on how the Star Specs wear, and the cost.

Originally Posted by Jim@tirerack
They are going to last longer than a tire like the Star Spec. They will also give you better wet traction and ride quality than the Star Spec. They do have the 30K mileage warranty but on the rear of the car it would be 15K. If I can help with anything let me know.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sports