Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is lowered .75 inches and I still rub with a conservative wheel setup

Old 02-08-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
It might make sense to measure the suspension mounting points against a reference. The manual doesn't seem to have the body and frame reference diagrams. Body shops get the Mitchell Guide and so frame machines come with the dimensions. https://www.mitchell.com/products-se...nibody-chassis

Maybe the dealer or body shop will let you take a picture of the pages (the phone cameras these days are higher resolutions than typical scanners). Or maybe a body shop will check it for a modest price.

A quick measurement would be from the 4 suspension mounting points to a point on the fender and compare left and right sides. That will require removing the wheel and tire.
Thank you so much for your information. I'll take a look at it.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:47 PM

@Carbon Blue Here's the pictures for more information.

Some notes: I posted a picture of the offending side's upper control arm, as it seems off? Also, the offending side had a fender buckle caused by road debris (cringe on how the fender looks, I know). Also posted picture of proof of wheel's offset.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:34 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I know this doesn't help much but I had mine lowered .75 inches with much lower offset and it never rubbed, and that was on Bilstien non adjustable coilovers, probably one of the softer coilovers out there. My offset was much lower than yours as I had to clear Spoon calipers on oem wheels using big spacers. Since it is rubbing on braking that sounds very off to me, something is shifting on the suspension for it to rub on braking, that is the best clue as to something being wrong IMO. Compliance bushings shot ?

Those wheels don't look like 54 offset by just eyeballing it from those pictures, I could be wrong but they seem to stick out further than what a typical 54 offset would be. I know you have checked that and I'm probably wrong or maybe it is the fender buckle that gives that impression, but I just wanted to mention that so no need to reply to this comment just an observation I'm likely wrong on this.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I know this doesn't help much but I had mine lowered .75 inches with much lower offset and it never rubbed, and that was on Bilstien non adjustable coilovers, probably one of the softer coilovers out there. My offset was much lower than yours as I had to clear Spoon calipers on oem wheels using big spacers. Since it is rubbing on braking that sounds very off to me, something is shifting on the suspension for it to rub on braking, that is the best clue as to something being wrong IMO. Compliance bushings shot ?

Those wheels don't look like 54 offset by just eyeballing it from those pictures, I could be wrong but they seem to stick out further than what a typical 54 offset would be. I know you have checked that and I'm probably wrong or maybe it is the fender buckle that gives that impression, but I just wanted to mention that so no need to reply to this comment just an observation I'm likely wrong on this.
That gives me more evidence that the subframe is out of alignment. Also, I posted a picture of proof of the offset etched on the wheel. But, thanks for letting me know to check the compliance bushings.

Last edited by RicerRabbit; 02-09-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:20 PM

Update: I checked the front of the car, and it looks like the subframe is out of alignment, or bent.

Evidence 1: The camber looks different. I haven't gotten an alignment in a year and a half, but the camber on the offending side looks like it has less negative camber than the other side. I remember asking for max alignment a year ago, the offending side's max camber is different from the other side's max camber by like .3 degrees.

Evidence 2: The offending side wheel pokes out more than the other side. I'll post pictures tomorrow for y'all to confirm.

I am going to hope for that it's just a misaligned front subframe and that I'll kick it back to alignment and tighten the bolts down. Thanks to all who helped, now I can enjoy my S2000 fully again as it should be and upgrade to a square setup after I get comfortable with staggered on the track (just -3 degrees camber, fender roll, relocated rear bumper tab right, and maybe pulled fenders?)

Last edited by RicerRabbit; 02-09-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:30 PM

May someone confirm that I currently have a misaligned subframe?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

your front sub frame has shifted, i cant remember the name of the guy but he took some VERY similar photos and that was the issue. Has the car been involved in a prior accident? I would take the car to a competent alignment shop or a shop who specializes in s2000s and have them realign the subframe ( not a very hard job at all). The subframe on both the front and rear of this car tend to shift over time, as general maintenance i check my sub frame bolts and torque them down as needed. When you get an alignment, set the front toe to 0, max negative camber the front and set the rears to match and then max the caster. Toe in the rear I run a very minimal amount...maybe 0.15-0.25 degrees total.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
your front sub frame has shifted, i cant remember the name of the guy but he took some VERY similar photos and that was the issue. Has the car been involved in a prior accident? I would take the car to a competent alignment shop or a shop who specializes in s2000s and have them realign the subframe ( not a very hard job at all). The subframe on both the front and rear of this car tend to shift over time, as general maintenance i check my sub frame bolts and torque them down as needed. When you get an alignment, set the front toe to 0, max negative camber the front and set the rears to match and then max the caster. Toe in the rear I run a very minimal amount...maybe 0.15-0.25 degrees total.
Yes, it has been damaged before. Thanks for confirming, I'll take it to a specialty S2000 shop and realign the subframe. I even saw a post made by Rob Robinette (robrob) about torquing down subframe bolts and will make sure to include that in my general maintenance. How much miles you recommend in between checking subframe bolts? My S2000 is both street driven and taken to track days, if that matters.

Last edited by RicerRabbit; 02-10-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

That's why I was questioning your offset, as that wheel pokes out too far for a 54 offset, it should be well tucked into the wheel well for a 54, so yeah you have an issue with the subframe/suspension and that is why it rubs and makes noises. Good luck with resolution to this issue.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
That's why I was questioning your offset, as that wheel pokes out too far for a 54 offset, it should be well tucked into the wheel well for a 54, so yeah you have an issue with the subframe/suspension and that is why it rubs and makes noises. Good luck with resolution to this issue.
Thanks so much! What else can possibly be broken other than a misaligned subframe? The offending side wheel looks like it has less camber than the other side.

Quick Reply: My car is lowered .75 inches and I still rub with a conservative wheel setup