Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help picking tires

Old 03-03-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need help picking tires

Hey guys. I have a set of CE28N's in standard s2k sizing (17x7.5 front and 17x9 rear) that I'm looking to get tires for. I have a MY07 on stock suspension if that helps. They will be mainly used for the track but I have some questions I need answering.

1. I want to know if going with 225 up front and 255 on the rear is worth it. My current setup is ap2v1's with 215/245 RE11A's. The rears are getting very low and I rather not use them to track. Will there be more grip with the new setup or am I paying slightly more for nothing?

2. What tire do I go with? I really liked my RE11A's but they're discontinued. I was thinking about z2 star specs but they're ~$700 for the set (ouch). I like stiff sidewalls for performance driving if possible. What tires would you recommend for the track? Has anyone tried federal rsrr? Throw me suggestions!

3. Should I run a square setup instead? I've been toying with the idea of running square for the track because I'm basically getting the same staggered setup as oem with the ce28's. The only reason I got the ce28's is because they were lighter and I really don't want to roll my fenders (and get cool jdm points lol). Would it be worth it to go non staggered? What setup would you recommend if yes considering my issue with rolling fenders?

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

1. I would step up to 225/255 since you have an extra .5" of wheel width compared to stock. Grip difference will be subtle though.

2. ZII* would be good. RE-71R if you want the most grip and don't care about tread life. ADO8-R are great but they are even more expensive than ZII*. New tire I don't know much about, but maybe the new Hankook RS-4?

3. That is up to you. If you want to avoid rolling fenders, then you need 9" +60 (+ or - 3mm). If you could find another matching pair of 9" +63 CE28 for the front, that would be perfect.
The following users liked this post:
dv55xc (03-06-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Is this car a race car or "primarily" a race car? Doesn't seem like it. Tire choices and concerns about tread wear seem to indicate this is a street car occasionally tracked or auto-crossed.

Unless the car is a dedicated race car I'd not bugger the body work. That's me. These cars use a staggered tire/wheel arrangement to enable the car to handle predictably. Tail out or drifting may be fun but is slow on the race course.

I ran RE-11A street tires for 3 summer seasons and loved them. Alas, they're discontinued. If I wanted a street tire mainly for racing (seems like an oxymoron) I'd have the RE-71R tires on the car. But since mine is a real street car I wasn't willing to put up with the tire noise of the RE-71R or the Dunlap Z2 star specs (had these before the RE-11As). I'm running 215/255 Bridgestone S-04 tires in place of my RE-11A tires. Seat-G-meter confirms they're the "same."

Strange as it may seem real race tires remain the best tires for race cars. This excludes street tires like the RE-71R, etc. Real race tires wear out fast. They're easily fitted to a second set of wheels.

-- Chuck
dv55xc (03-06-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Is this car a race car or "primarily" a race car? Doesn't seem like it. Tire choices and concerns about tread wear seem to indicate this is a street car occasionally tracked or auto-crossed.

Unless the car is a dedicated race car I'd not bugger the body work. That's me. These cars use a staggered tire/wheel arrangement to enable the car to handle predictably. Tail out or drifting may be fun but is slow on the race course.

I ran RE-11A street tires for 3 summer seasons and loved them. Alas, they're discontinued. If I wanted a street tire mainly for racing (seems like an oxymoron) I'd have the RE-71R tires on the car. But since mine is a real street car I wasn't willing to put up with the tire noise of the RE-71R or the Dunlap Z2 star specs (had these before the RE-11As). I'm running 215/255 Bridgestone S-04 tires in place of my RE-11A tires. Seat-G-meter confirms they're the "same."

Strange as it may seem real race tires remain the best tires for race cars. This excludes street tires like the RE-71R, etc. Real race tires wear out fast. They're easily fitted to a second set of wheels.

-- Chuck
I totally forgot to mention that I would be keeping my stock wheels with RE11A's as my DD wheel setup. I honestly don't drive the car that much for daily duty. I have a beater accord for that haha. The RE11A's will be replaced with s04's or Michelin pss tires. The fronts still have life in them though.

When you mentioned the car kicking the tail out were you referring to a staggered or non staggered setup? From what I know adding more grip in the front causes the back to step out on our cars. Without a thicker anti roll bar at least.

Thanks for the input btw!
Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1nate7
1. I would step up to 225/255 since you have an extra .5" of wheel width compared to stock. Grip difference will be subtle though.

2. ZII* would be good. RE-71R if you want the most grip and don't care about tread life. ADO8-R are great but they are even more expensive than ZII*. New tire I don't know much about, but maybe the new Hankook RS-4?

3. That is up to you. If you want to avoid rolling fenders, then you need 9" +60 (+ or - 3mm). If you could find another matching pair of 9" +63 CE28 for the front, that would be perfect.
Hmmm. 225/255 looks like it might be slightly better. I'll double check the section widths of the tires I'm looking at to see if they're that much wider than the 215/245 tires. I know some manufacturers advertise as wide but the tires are actually the same width.

Ad08r's are out of my budget haha I think they were ~$800+. I was really leaning towards the RE71R at first because of their price point and performance. But I've heard that they wear done ridiculously fast. I'd want these tires to last a little while lol. I'd be down to try the RS4 but I don't see any information about them regarding sidewall stiffness. RS3's would be perfect because they're cheap and they wear like iron but the sidewall is soft. I also feel like the 7.5 and 9 inch wheel widths aren't sufficient for 225/255 RS3's since they do run wide and have soft sidewalls. I don't like body roll lol
Old 03-05-2017, 06:01 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I'm very happy (so far) with the Bridgestone S-04 tires on my evasively aggressively driven 2006 car which has different suspension tuning than yours. I have 215 (OEM size) front and 255 (+ 10mm) on the rear. Why? Really "just 'cuz" I was curious if I'd induce understeer but it doesn't seem I did. I keep trying to schedule the Performance Driving course at Mid-Ohio but the rest of life keeps getting in the way!

-- Chuck
dv55xc (03-06-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

From what I'm understanding, you're looking for a tyre to use to get you to/from and also at the track. You already have another dedicated set for street use.

If you're *not* looking to buy race/track only rubber, then the RE71R is the most advantageous. They tend to get hotter and lose grip faster than the RS3 or Z2, but by the time they do, you'll be so far ahead of the RS3 (and especially the Z2) car that it will take them a few laps to catch you.

For me, the appalling rate of wear and the issue with overheating with the 71R really subsided when the tyre reached half life. They seem to be wearing very slowly now.

Race or track tyres like NT01's will last longer on the track than 71R's, and likely also last longer than RS3's. Initial grip is probably not *quite* as good as the 71R. But they're not that far off pace, and they won't give up like the 71R. But they are race tyres for dry conditions.

The 71R kinda works in water (kinda works astonishingly well at full tread). It has a great wet compound like most bridgestones do. But standing water is going to be an issue as the tread wears. It is still the undisputed best WET extreme performance tyre.

The issue with the 71R is that it compensates for bad driving. It also overheats a bit faster than most even if you do drive it well.

Obviously, all EP tyres have issues being used as street tyres. But...for you, this may be irrelevant.
dv55xc (03-06-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

My RS3s lasted a LONG time. Z2 would be a great choice, or maybe wait for the RS4s and save some coin.
dv55xc (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
From what I'm understanding, you're looking for a tyre to use to get you to/from and also at the track. You already have another dedicated set for street use.

If you're *not* looking to buy race/track only rubber, then the RE71R is the most advantageous. They tend to get hotter and lose grip faster than the RS3 or Z2, but by the time they do, you'll be so far ahead of the RS3 (and especially the Z2) car that it will take them a few laps to catch you.

For me, the appalling rate of wear and the issue with overheating with the 71R really subsided when the tyre reached half life. They seem to be wearing very slowly now.

Race or track tyres like NT01's will last longer on the track than 71R's, and likely also last longer than RS3's. Initial grip is probably not *quite* as good as the 71R. But they're not that far off pace, and they won't give up like the 71R. But they are race tyres for dry conditions.

The 71R kinda works in water (kinda works astonishingly well at full tread). It has a great wet compound like most bridgestones do. But standing water is going to be an issue as the tread wears. It is still the undisputed best WET extreme performance tyre.

The issue with the 71R is that it compensates for bad driving. It also overheats a bit faster than most even if you do drive it well.

Obviously, all EP tyres have issues being used as street tyres. But...for you, this may be irrelevant.
I think I am slowly starting to realize that RE71R's are going to be the tire I will end up getting. When you say that these tires compensate for bad driving you're saying that they make any driver regardless of skill look good? I want to get faster around the track but I don't want to be relying on tires to do most of the work. I'm dying to see reviews on the RS4's and to see if they have stiff sidewalls. I would get those if that's the case (putting aside the ugly tread design).
Old 03-06-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
My RS3s lasted a LONG time. Z2 would be a great choice, or maybe wait for the RS4s and save some coin.
I wouldnt mind getting the RS4's but I don't want to be the guinea pig in finding out if they are any good or not lol. For all i know they outperform the RE71R's but I'd rather wait. Their tread design is ugly though... kind of wish they kept it looking similar to the RS3 (minus the flames lol).

Quick Reply: Need help picking tires