Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need wheel advice

Old 07-22-2015, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need wheel advice

I'm pretty new to the car scene in general and frankly I don't know a damn thing about rims. I wanted something cheap and I found rpf1s. Great for autocrossing ive heard but I dont really like the way they look. MB battles are nice but I don't want to roll fenders or modify anything. I like Work Emotion CR Kais but they are expensive. With that said though, I cant find any of these wheels in stock specs. I don't know how much wiggle room is allowed and most of them don't list offset. I have searched through the forums and found some guidelines on offset and such but they don't really help me. My rims are trash right now and I just want some new ones. If anyone could help that would be great.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:14 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Work Emotions aren't expensive in terms of buying wheels. They are expensive for CAST wheels that aren't MAT formed.

RPF1's are MAT formed. They're better in terms of weight and strength.

I wouldn't buy cheap cast wheels. If for nothing else...then for the reason that I am an adult and I have a job.

Your question on wheel fitment requires quite a bit of info on your end. Desired use, alignment restrictions, ride height, tire size, willingness to roll fenders, etc etc etc.

An easy way to do this is to look through the picture threads/google pictures or wheel fitment threads. Try to pick something you like. Ask questions about that fitment or something close to it.

For reference, use 17x9 (+45 offset) square with 255/40 all around. It'll give youa baseline for the most common modded size for S2000 owners who are willing to roll fenders, cut bumpers, and run additonal negative camber.

If you want a 100% bolt on fitment, look at 17x9 (+60ish offset). With 255/40/17.

There are LOTS of combinations. If you educate yourself on widths and offsets, you can make your own decisions or hypotheses on fitment.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

RPF1's are not really good for autox on this car besides the weight.

When you go wider, especially running 17X9 with 255's and if you are working the suspension hard, you want offsets over 60mm. People like the RPF1 because it pushes the tire out closer to the fender, but when you lower, run wide tires up front and really work the car, you have rubbing issues. So knowing what you will do with the car is important. Plenty of folks run the lower offsets (45mm) to look cool and make it work. But if you are going to prep the car for autox, find some good 17X9 +62's and you will have a lot more setup options. You still need to roll the fenders (maybe just the fender tabs depending on the rest of your setup) to run 255's up front and lower the car with them, but you will still have a setup that works better than the low offsets.

So for Enkeis if you are autocrossing and wanting to run something like an STR setup, the PF01 I think comes in the right offsets. The TR Motorsports C3 is very popular due to fitment and price (they actually look pretty good too).

There are lots of discussions on there about the fitments people run. You can make the +45mm option work but just do the research to see what you need to do and what limitations there are.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:54 AM

I'm not really wanting to modify anything. Eventually I may lower my car an inch maybe less. Rolling fenders is something i'd like to stay away from since that sounds like it would damage the car. The car is my daily till I can get some cheap 4wd shit box. I do like running autoX and would like to make my car proficient at it.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

You will definitely need "S2000" spec wheels, aka high offsets. Unfortunately not many wheel companies make high offsets, but they are out there. Most common one I see come up for sale are Volk CE28n 17x7.5 +50 front 17x9 +63 rear. You will not need to roll fenders with those specs, even if you are lowered

If you check the Wheel Classifieds, there are a few sets of S2000 spec CE28n for sale
Old 07-23-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Spoon offers wheels in 17" with an offset of 53...
Old 07-23-2015, 09:42 AM

17x9 +63 is about 0.3" more "agressive" than stock AP2 rears. I think stock rears are 17x8.5 +65 or something.

Or...buy another 2 stock AP2 rears, bore the hubs and put 255's on all corners. Cheap. Effective. Better than Rotas or MB's.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
RPF1's are not really good for autox on this car besides the weight.

When you go wider, especially running 17X9 with 255's and if you are working the suspension hard, you want offsets over 60mm.

17X9 +62's and you will have a lot more setup options. You still need to roll the fenders.
RPF1's are very light.

Wat?

Nope.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

If you don't want to modify anything have your OEM wheels refurbished or buy a clean set and buy good tires.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
If you don't want to modify anything have your OEM wheels refurbished or buy a clean set and buy good tires.
"Modify" as in roll fenders, rip wheel liners out, run mad camber. I want the car modified, but I don't want to look like a ricer trash pile that someone took a pair of pliers to. Most fender work I have seen has been shoddy at best. I don't like that. I really like my cars to have a perfect body.

Quick Reply: Need wheel advice