Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hankook R-S4

Old 03-06-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^Exactly.

As far as performance not being tested by Tire Rack yet...I figured that Hankook has already done extensive testing themselves, and that they're not going to put out a slower product than the RS3. Matter of fact, if you go look at the UTQG rating, or whatever the acronym is, the RS4 actually scores the top score of an 'AA' in lateral g's where as the RS3's were one grade inferior with an 'A'. So you can go to Tire Rack and see the new one outscores the previous rendition there, as far as grip is concerned. The only question will be the lasting dept. I don't expect it to last as long. Matter of fact, I'm all but certain that those days are behind us. To hang with the RE-71R's and the likings, seems they would have had to of softened the compound for increased grip.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
The rs3 were being out preformed everywhere. I got faster lap times on nexan tires vs rs3. Hopefully the rs4 would compete against its rivals very well. The rs3 was known for its longevity, hopefully this one dosent disappoint.
I will agree, i rode in an s2k with re71 and it felt so much glued to the floor. Only think i liked about rs3 is they didnt overheat in desert heat. there weak point was cold tempretures,especially if its wet or semi wet you will be left holding on for dear life. BTW mine just shipped out today
Old 03-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been looking at tires for the last 2 days. I can't decide between R-S4s or RE71Rs.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Re71r can't be beaten within its class. Yet. Pure preformance the re are better. I am pretty sure the rs4 tire will be like the n fera but a bit better. Then again I can roast a new set of 71r in a couple of track days. Where the rs3 has lasted me over a year.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
Re71r can't be beaten within its class. Yet. Pure preformance the re are better. I am pretty sure the rs4 tire will be like the n fera but a bit better. Then again I can roast a new set of 71r in a couple of track days. Where the rs3 has lasted me over a year.
Lets hope the rs4 is fast enought o keep up. I got mine mounted today.pics to follow
Old 03-08-2017, 11:30 AM

I have only driven a mile on them so far. They are quiet when new just like the old rs3 was. But im sure that will change once they get some camber wear into the tread.

I put alluminum tape over the weights to make sure they dont come off. Ive had that issue a few times so figured its a wise precaution
Old 03-08-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow! You didn't waste any time. Let us know what you think after you get some miles on them. I'm holding off for a couple weeks before I order a set.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ClemsonWill
Wow! You didn't waste any time. Let us know what you think after you get some miles on them. I'm holding off for a couple weeks before I order a set.

I will definately give feedback though i doubt there will be anything amazing just from driving on the street. i dont hit the track till 4-7-17 and thats assuming weather is good
The following users liked this post:
freq (03-10-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 06:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience with tread designs like that with the parallelogram shaped tread blocks on the sides is that they typically get cupped badly. I wonder how deep those sipes go? It'll be interesting to see if that happens. I already put my money on a set of re71r's for this years autox season but I'll still be checking these out.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk180
^^^Exactly.

As far as performance not being tested by Tire Rack yet...I figured that Hankook has already done extensive testing themselves, and that they're not going to put out a slower product than the RS3. Matter of fact, if you go look at the UTQG rating, or whatever the acronym is, the RS4 actually scores the top score of an 'AA' in lateral g's where as the RS3's were one grade inferior with an 'A'. So you can go to Tire Rack and see the new one outscores the previous rendition there, as far as grip is concerned. The only question will be the lasting dept. I don't expect it to last as long. Matter of fact, I'm all but certain that those days are behind us. To hang with the RE-71R's and the likings, seems they would have had to of softened the compound for increased grip.
UTQG's don't measure lateral grip.

AA or A is a traction rating based on a standardized straight line braking test in wet conditions, IIRC. UTQG's are not a very reliable source of actual data. They're just guidelines.

Quick Reply: New Hankook R-S4