Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New old stock tires - RE71R

Old 07-23-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I'd just use them. If they're from tirerack, its likely they were stored properly anyway.

Bridgestone is bad with keeping up with demand. So...they've been on backorder almost constantly since they came out. You could buy them in like....2 month windows before they went on backorder again.
this is a very short sighted statement. there is very little demand for specialty tires, there isn't a single company that would not prioritize making a product for a wider range of users than a specialized user. I know from a business perspective if I had to chose between manufacturing tires for the millions of Toyota Camry's on the road vs the few hundred s2000 owners who actually race their cars, it would be a no brainer

im editing to drop this here... http://www.rubbernews.com/article/20...producer-again
bridgestone has continued to be the most sold tire in the world. a company that was bad at keeping up with demand would be incapable of doing that

Last edited by outeiroj; 07-23-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ron1999
Got a set of RE71R's for my S2K,
ordered beginning of the week, got them last night -
Two rears manufactured 15th week of 2017,
Two front's manufactured 24th week of 2015 (!!)

don't want to give away the vendor from which i purchased the tires,
but wanted to get your opinion - does this make sense, to order a new, very common, very popular tire and get a 2 YO-stock tire?
and just to add something constructive to this conversation. your 2 year old tires will be fine. I work for a tire company and I am extremely familiar with the tire manufacturing process. The average lifespan of a tire is 5 years of use, the rubber doesn't start breaking down til 10 years after production. Companies like Bridgestone & Continental among others do not allow tires that are more than 5 years old to be sold from 1st party distributors (like tire rack) because they realize that if they are sold they have a higher chance of being on the vehicle beyond the 10 year lifespan of the rubber. The likelihood of your tires breaking down while you have them on your vehicle due to age isn't likely to occur, especially if your seeing any track time, even if its sparingly.