Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rubber - Your Thoughts?

Old 10-11-2016, 04:42 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by EricJT7
Unless anything has changed with the second version, the continental dws has a soft sidewall so I'd stay away from those for a summer set. Though they might make a good winter set assuming you will not actually be driving in the snow and ice.

Between the three, the grippiest would be the RE970 AS and the BFG G-Force Comp 2. However, I personally have almost always had two sets, one UHP A/S for the colder and wetter six months of the season, and an extreme performance set for the warmer and drier months in the summer.

The DWS is an all season tyre (Dry Wet Snow). They'll do fine all year round. But yes...kindof a soft sidewall.

I think the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 just came out? Any AP1 sizing?

I drive my summer tires in the Chicago IL area until I see snow flakes. I am aware that there is some loss of grip at anything below 40F.

I think of it as driving on a damp road. I drive mindfully as if I don't have full available grip.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:59 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I think of it as driving on a damp road. I drive mindfully as if I don't have full available grip.
This is exactly what I did this am - 30 degrees F. I had no trouble.

I will be putting the car away in a few weeks so maybe I'll just use the ap1 wheels with the very old (15 years) oem S02 tires for storage and the careful short drive to and from the storage shed. I'll leave the summer tires on the ap2 wheels off the vehicle for the winter storage. This is probably the thing to do.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Originally Posted by B serious' timestamp='1476189762' post='24081342

This is exactly what I did this am - 30 degrees F. I had no trouble.

I will be putting the car away in a few weeks so maybe I'll just use the ap1 wheels with the very old (15 years) oem S02 tires for storage and the careful short drive to and from the storage shed. I'll leave the summer tires on the ap2 wheels off the vehicle for the winter storage. This is probably the thing to do.

^Yes, I use a crapped out set of track tyres or stock tyres (still have my 16 year old S02's lol) for storage.

OP...how long are your winters? Is the sacrifice in performance from buying AS tyres worth it?
Old 10-11-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

The DWS would be perfect grip wise. The problem is, as mentioned, the soft sidewalls. This car just doesn't deal well with that. The handling really suffers. Takes all the fun out of driving the car.

It will be a challenge to find an A/S tire that can really work in the summer with this car.

I'm in CT, and use the car as a 3 season dd. I run summer max performance tires. I don't drive it below freezing temps. But a fewtimes I have been caught out by unexpected snow. It sucks. Big time. Its a lot like it was back in the day with bias ply (non snow) tires.

But other than snow, or ice, you are fine running summer tires (no, not UHP summer) in the cold, so long as you realize there is less grip.

As mentioned, its like driving on a wet road. Its not like driving on ice.