Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Avon Tech M500 tires

Old 07-26-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Avon Tech M500 tires

I'm looking for some new tires and could use some help if anyone has used the Avon Tech M500 on there s2k or could recoment a good tire.

Here is what I'm looking for on my02.

s2k won't be taken out in rain but if I get caught in a storm I want better wet handling then the S-02

Won't be driven below 50 degrees

Won't see snow

S-02 give you like 10k-13k miles (rear) on a set I am looking for 18k-25k miles (rear) on a set.

Won't be raced so I don't mind giving up a small amount of dry weather track style performance.

they make 245s for the rear

Give you some notice before the rears let go. As a newby with a rear wheel drive car this is important to me.

relativly low road noise

I live in Maryland to give an idea of the weather I would be encountering

priced under $105 per front, $140 per rear through tirerack.com

Been staring at web sites for a few days now and could use some imput.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them on my Miata (for street use) and they work very well. They don't have as much dry grip as S-02s or S-03s, but the price was right and they work well in the wet.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:56 PM

Funny you should post this today. As I was driving home I decideed to post my impressions of the Bridgestone RE-750's that I just installed on my AP1 w/OEM rims. I bought these tires on Jim's recommendation, prior to this I have always run SO-2's. Jim was very positive on these tire and uses them on his own S2000. Here are my impressions so far.

Cheaper by about $200 for a set of 4 than SO-2

They are supposed to last longer. I got 10k out of each set of my rear SO-2's. I hope to get at least 15k out of the RE-750's in the back and double that in the front.

Better ride. As good or better road feel but no jarring bumps on rough surfaces.

More progressive turn in. The SO-2's were like an on/off switch at turn in. The RE-750's make a smoother transition entering a turn. Maybe marginally slower response, but more linear and controllable.

I have 205's up front and 245's in back. I don't drive as aggressively as I used to and this is a good way to dial in a little understeer on the early cars. The F/R stagger is greater than the SO-2's.

They have got to be better in the wet. I cannot give you any feedback here personnally because I have not had them on long enough, but Jim had good things to say about them on wet pavement and the Tirerack tests indicate they resist hydroplaning better than the OEM tires.

I expect the limits of grip to be lower than SO-2, but more linear at the edge. I don't have enough experience with them to confirm this however.

I am really happy so far with these tires for my daily driver.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:05 PM

i have the m500s on my s2k right now. it's my daily driver and the tires suit me fine in the spring/summer/fall. can't comment on the "notice before they let go" since i have never had my rear end swing around on me aside the slight fishtailing from standing water. i live in maryland too. the only thing i would say about these tires is that at 15k, the center of the rear tires are dramatically worn out compared to the edges. i inflate them at 34psi in the rear and that may be the reason, but just letting you know.

As someone who is not a "racer", i think the grip and handling is fine considering the low price tag - and it seems to meet your criteria. although i'm actually about to replace these tires with toyos just for curiosity sake.