Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pictures of 17x9.5+33 wheels on stock height?

Old 03-27-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice thanks

I'm assuming same offset on the front then? with 8 wide wheel
Old 03-27-2018, 10:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
nice thanks

I'm assuming same offset on the front then? with 8 wide wheel
Yes
Old 04-24-2018, 07:40 PM

are these sized best for traction and stability?
after reading its not very clear if the 8.5 front and 9 rear is the best for grip or narrower tires like 7.5 front and 8-8.5 rear will do as good as the wider tires
its a 2002 with 2007 shocks and springs stock height US spec alignment for now( only owned it 6 months, havent crashed it yet but spun out 3 times already with stock wheels... not even doing anything crazy
Old 04-24-2018, 08:28 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

You're doing something massively wrong & dangerous if you've spun driving on public roads at all.

Spinning three times, you're just straight up endangering people.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
You're doing something massively wrong & dangerous if you've spun driving on public roads at all.
+1
Old 04-25-2018, 02:10 PM

accelerating in a straight line ... very dangerous...

I'm not asking your opinion on my driving skills. I'm asking about wheel size
Old 04-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
are these sized best for traction and stability?
after reading its not very clear if the 8.5 front and 9 rear is the best for grip or narrower tires like 7.5 front and 8-8.5 rear will do as good as the wider tires
its a 2002 with 2007 shocks and springs stock height US spec alignment for now( only owned it 6 months, havent crashed it yet but spun out 3 times already with stock wheels... not even doing anything crazy
Hm I think your tires are possibly more important here than the wheel widths. What do you have on there currently? Sizes? You probably sad already but do you have AP1 stock wheels or AP2? I think you may want to look into getting a AP2 rear sway bar as well since your suspension is from an 07. It may help balance it out a bit.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:39 PM

they are stock ap1 wheels yes with all season that i got for winter driving
i am looking for racing hart cp-035 specifically
but i dont know for this car if there will be a massive difference in handling using 8" or 8.5" or 9" wheel with whatever width tire matches the wheel.
car is not lowered and im not planning on lowering it so as people said above. 9" would be absolute max width

im planning to scope out a complete ap2 rear end later with swaybar diff and all the suspension arms etc
i feel like my traction troubles might also be due to blown out drivetrain that has alot of play

going in a straight line with a bit of wet on the road after the rain it spun out in second gear when vtec hit and kicked the rear hard to the left.( stock motor) which i dont think should happen
some fwd cars that i had previously used to spin tires when the diff and axles were blown out and had play because of bouncing as i take off the light. i feel like might be same issue here.
car rear end shift massively to the right when i go over a bump.alignment was all good and no accidents on the car.
so i want to start with getting wider wheels and tires and see how that goes then get the ap2 rear end
Old 04-25-2018, 10:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Wider rim and tire is almost always better performing, certainly within what the S2000 can accommodate. If you want to run the same wheel/tire size front and back and not touch/mod the fenders then 245/9" is going to be your limit. If your game to do the standard roll and rear bumper tab relocate and slight pull/flair up front then you can run a 10"/255 all around, or if you dont want to pull the fronts then run a stagger 9/10" 245/255 set up. But keep in mind for any of these widths, you need to be in the +55 and higher numerical range.

There is nothing likely wrong with your diff. If there was, if anything one tire would spin and keep you in check ironically. There is an abrupt trq and hp spike at the stock vtec transition, and if your tires are wet and not great to begin with, your going to lose traction. If your near full throttle both tires are spinning under power with this torsion diff and that will cause the car to erratically shift left or right. You simply are not used to this platform, as its completely different behaving then the FWD you owned previously, and many RWD cars actually. Many inexperienced or new owners have found this out the hard way unfortunately, dont be another statistic. Take your time with the car and learn its behavior, be smooth and get comfortable with it. In the meantime, your current wheel/tire choice is not helping you in the handling department. I would much rather drive a good extreme or max summer tire in the wet for overall traction and handling and keep speeds down in standing water, then run a compromised tire that handles crappy does little good any time of the year which is what you are running now. An extreme summer tire compound on a wet road (not in standing water) if up to temp will get better traction then a lesser all season in the same conditions typically. An all season will have more tread grooves and sipes to improve hydroplaning resistance, which is separate from adhesion the rubber offers.

The 311lb rear sway on any year ap2 is a good option to swap in for improving rear traction during cornering transitions on entry and exit. Wont do anything for you in the strait line though, thats all driving input and tires.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-25-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:20 AM

yea I drove other rwd cars not my first rwd
I drove a mazda b2200 manual rwd truck all year long rain and snow without sandbags. without a problem so its not like I suck at driving.
I consider myself a decent driver
I just found out from a local tire shop that dws06 traction decreases massively once they are past certain thread depth that could explain a lot since the rear tires are getting near 50-60% thread
but hes the only one I heard say that so I'm checking on internets now

I probably stick with 8.5-9" rear wheels

Quick Reply: pictures of 17x9.5+33 wheels on stock height?