Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE-11 vs RE-11A vs RE-71R

Old 03-16-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE-11 vs RE-11A vs RE-71R

I need new tires for my AP1 S2000.

I've read that the RE-11A tires are a good match for the S2000, but they're being replaced with the RE-71R tires. I'm hesitant to go with the RE-71R tires since they're new and don't look like they'll have much hydroplaning resistance.

The tire shop I went to said they're able to get me a pair of RE-11A in the front and a pair of RE-11 tires in the rear. Is this set-up okay?

Since the RE-11 tires were discontinued a few years ago and replaced by the RE-11A, I'm concerned the RE-11 tires may not have as much grip after sitting on the shelf for a few years. Will these tires still have the same grip as they would brand new?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I wouldn't mix the 11A and 11 like that. I especially wouldn't mix them with the stickier tire on the front axle.

At the moment, I'm running Pilot Super Sports. I'm fighting the temptation to buy a set of RE71Rs ... finally, a Bridgestone high performance tire that isn't made of lead. My Michelins aren't near worn out yet, so maybe next year (or the AD09 if it's out by then).
Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't mix the 11 and 11A. I don't know about the RE71s yet. I don't think anyone does. After lots of research I switched from RE11a to BFG Rival. The driving factor was price and I believe an underrated tire for what I will be doing. I ordered the Rivals, will let you know...
Old 03-17-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the RE11A's and only use them in the summer as I don't like them in the cold and wet. If I bought again today I would get the Pilot Super Sports as I think I would find them more comfortable and probably get a longer season on the car.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I was able to find a full set of RE-11 tires.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
I have the RE11A's and only use them in the summer as I don't like them in the cold and wet. If I bought again today I would get the Pilot Super Sports as I think I would find them more comfortable and probably get a longer season on the car.
How do you not like the RE-11As in the wet? They handle better in the wet than any other all season I've seen including the Pilot Super Sports.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fokker
Originally Posted by cdelena' timestamp='1426621814' post='23543889
How do you not like the RE-11As in the wet? They handle better in the wet than any other all season I've seen including the Pilot Super Sports.

To each their own... I find that at speed they are more prone to hydroplane and in cold wet slower driving they simply lack the traction of the PSS tires. And they are certainly not an ALL season tire.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
Originally Posted by Fokker' timestamp='1426681478' post='23544660
[quote name='cdelena' timestamp='1426621814' post='23543889']

To each their own... I find that at speed they are more prone to hydroplane and in cold wet slower driving they simply lack the traction of the PSS tires. And they are certainly not an ALL season tire.
[/quote]

There's no such thing as an all season tire really, most tires marketed as all season are fairly crap at best in snow. They certainly are designed like an all season tire, the only difference being compound choice which cuts down on their life and increases their grip. RE-11As are like glue in wet conditions, have given me zero issues on cold mornings (if you're talking real cold, you shouldn't be driving on either tire), and give no concern for hydro-planing. To each their own yes, but I think your concerns over them are in your head.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena' timestamp='1426690627' post='23544830
[quote name='Fokker' timestamp='1426681478' post='23544660']
[quote name='cdelena' timestamp='1426621814' post='23543889']

[/quote]

There's no such thing as an all season tire really, most tires marketed as all season are fairly crap at best in snow. They certainly are designed like an all season tire, the only difference being compound choice which cuts down on their life and increases their grip. RE-11As are like glue in wet conditions, have given me zero issues on cold mornings (if you're talking real cold, you shouldn't be driving on either tire), and give no concern for hydro-planing. To each their own yes, but I think your concerns over them are in your head.
[/quote]

OK, but I have been driving this car over 15 years with lots of different tires so I do have a feel for what works for me.

According to the manufacturer...

'Bridgestone’s Potenza RE-11A is performance tuned for dry and wet conditions, but like all Extreme Performance Summer tires, these tires are not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.'
Old 03-18-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RE-11As are like glue in wet conditions, have given me zero issues on cold mornings
You live in Tucson, Arizona. You aren't really in a position to tell people in the Northwest how tires behave when it's cold. Just sayin' ...

Quick Reply: RE-11 vs RE-11A vs RE-71R