Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE050 or RE-071R

Old 04-24-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
You meant MPSS? Like I said mine lost all grip over a fairly short time period. And they were OK to start with, but at the end, they were diabolically low-grip. Strange experience with those... IMO they were hugely overrated, but they're being replaced now anyway by the Pilot Sport 4S.
thats what i meant, damn autocorrect!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:02 PM

I'm running Re-071R 215-40-18/ 255-35-18 on my weekend S2k that might see maybe 3-4k DD miles this year.

Was happy they made a 215-40-18 size. It isn't a common size for a EP tire.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of all the low priced good tread life tires (Continental sport, bfgoodrich
comp2, firestone indy500, Yokohama s.drive) which one has the most feedback? I imagine they all have around the same grip, I just want the most feel. I have the firestones and they instill quite a bit of confidence but I find them lacking in road feedback.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by panda25
Out of all the low priced good tread life tires (Continental sport, bfgoodrich
comp2, firestone indy500, Yokohama s.drive) which one has the most feedback? I imagine they all have around the same grip, I just want the most feel. I have the firestones and they instill quite a bit of confidence but I find them lacking in road feedback.
My personal preference between BFG Sport Comp2, the Continental Extreme Contact, and Firestone Indy 500 would lean towards the BFG for feedback. I haven't driven S drives.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I guess you just have to ask yourself what you bought this car for, practicality and commuting or having fun/enjoying the experience of a high performing sports car? Depending on which box you check will tell you which category tires you should be shopping for. "good enough" doesn't compute with me and this car personally. My car is dual duty, as in road course lapping days once a year and the rest of the 10k miles on the street. And for me, I get most of my enjoyment on the street, but a lot of that is because I built the car to go fast on the track, so it keeps my enthusiasm high for ownership use. I guess the same feeling as if you were to street a Ferrari Italia ( which I would hope you would also buy EP or R comp tires for). I currently run NT05 275/315's. Probably move to NT01 next, but that will take another round of suspension tuning to make proper use of so will see when I pull the trigger on that. I guess when I get bored of the current new set up and want to take it to the next level of performance.

Some S2000 owners are perfectly happy with a more factory/traditional equip on this car, im not one of them. Ive had this car for over 13 years and why is because its such a engaging and capable/buildable platform. If I was talking about replacing this car after 13 years with which kind of budget max/all season tires I will buy next, I likely wouldn't feel as enthused about driving and owning this car.

Either you get/understand my spirit or you dont. To each their own I guess. Nothing gets me off more then harnessing high performance, even if I cant use it on the street as much as I would like, its exciting and fun to know its there when i can. The S2000 is what I can afford to do that with. I cant afford a Italia but I can run with them at the road course! But not on 245/max summers

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-24-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
I'm running Re-071R 215-40-18/ 255-35-18 on my weekend S2k that might see maybe 3-4k DD miles this year.
If the car is seeing 3-4k miles a year, unless you live 2 miles from work I would be really hesitant to call those DD miles. That's roughly the same as I put on mine driving once a week if it's nice out from March to November, plus track days.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:46 AM

I just ordered 71's and wheels. 255/40 x 4 based on recommendations from folks in the know. 35 s2k drivers spent the weekend together.

Me driving this past Sunday at the Indy of Alabama.
The following users liked this post:
ZDan (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I guess you just have to ask yourself what you bought this car for, practicality and commuting or having fun/enjoying the experience of a high performing sports car? Depending on which box you check will tell you which category tires you should be shopping for. "good enough" doesn't compute with me and this car personally. My car is dual duty, as in road course lapping days once a year and the rest of the 10k miles on the street. And for me, I get most of my enjoyment on the street, but a lot of that is because I built the car to go fast on the track, so it keeps my enthusiasm high for ownership use. I guess the same feeling as if you were to street a Ferrari Italia ( which I would hope you would also buy EP or R comp tires for). I currently run NT05 275/315's. Probably move to NT01 next, but that will take another round of suspension tuning to make proper use of so will see when I pull the trigger on that. I guess when I get bored of the current new set up and want to take it to the next level of performance.

Some S2000 owners are perfectly happy with a more factory/traditional equip on this car, im not one of them. Ive had this car for over 13 years and why is because its such a engaging and capable/buildable platform. If I was talking about replacing this car after 13 years with which kind of budget max/all season tires I will buy next, I likely wouldn't feel as enthused about driving and owning this car.

Either you get/understand my spirit or you dont. To each their own I guess. Nothing gets me off more then harnessing high performance, even if I cant use it on the street as much as I would like, its exciting and fun to know its there when i can. The S2000 is what I can afford to do that with. I cant afford a Italia but I can run with them at the road course! But not on 245/max summers
I am of the same mindset.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:44 AM

how have the nt05 treated you on the road?
they don't show up on the tirerack website, and its a max performance tire that comes in the sizes i want (235/40, 255/40)

otherwise i'd have to get an EP tire which i dont think is warranted as i'll only ever be driving her on hot sunny days, and 0-1 track days a year.

Quick Reply: RE050 or RE-071R