Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE050 or RE-071R

Old 04-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pappi16
how have the nt05 treated you on the road?
they don't show up on the tirerack website, and its a max performance tire that comes in the sizes i want (235/40, 255/40)

otherwise i'd have to get an EP tire which i dont think is warranted as i'll only ever be driving her on hot sunny days, and 0-1 track days a year.
Speaking for myself, I like the NT-05 overall both for street and fun at the track/autox, though they aren't as grippy as the R-S3 or the RE-11As (sadly not available anymore). It will certainly be behind the current generation of 200 UTQG tires though. The newer 140 UTQG version of the tire doesn't come in the 17" sizes that I am aware of.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by pappi16
how have the nt05 treated you on the road?
they don't show up on the tirerack website, and its a max performance tire that comes in the sizes i want (235/40, 255/40)

otherwise i'd have to get an EP tire which i dont think is warranted as i'll only ever be driving her on hot sunny days, and 0-1 track days a year.
Well for the widths I run they haven't disappointed in grip, but this will be the first track season on them so I will have a better idea of where I stand with these tires this summer if I want to keep running them or possibly move off of "street tire" category and go with NT01.

My first impression living in Seattle was better then expected with wet grip over the Kuhmo XS (another last gen EP tire)

As far as Nt05 being stated as a "max summer" I have no idea why Nitto chose to place it there, as its a 200 rated tire and Nitto doesn't have a "EP" class tire, the NT05 in all rights is it, moving to the R comp NT01 from there. Even though the rubber compound of the NT05 may be of previous gen adhesion capability, the tread design and footprint is excellent/very flat with wide tread blocks with no tread squirm at all with new tread height at a shorter 6/32's, couple that with an unheard of 3 ply sidewall construction instead of the typical 2 on high performance max summers and all other EP tires, these things are really rewarding to drive on for those who love a firm and precise turn in/handling. To me that's what I love about the S, so if I can get a tire with great grip but excellent response, that's what I'm all about. Now typically a 275/40-315/35/17 tire should not feel as sharp as they do for the sidewall height. But there is no perceivable sidewall deflection on these at all. So fantastic constructed tires! Very affordable as well, which doesn't hurt.

These tires also run on the narrow side. so expect a 255 NT05 to resemble most 245 EP tires on the current line up. Also expect the NT05 to be the firmest handlers still by todays standards.

Tire rack doesn't deal with Nitto for whatever reason. I just ordered mine where I could find them the cheapest which was Ebay. $600 total shipped to my door. Would be closer to $500 for standard S2000 sizes.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-25-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I guess you just have to ask yourself what you bought this car for, practicality and commuting or having fun/enjoying the experience of a high performing sports car? Depending on which box you check will tell you which category tires you should be shopping for. "good enough" doesn't compute with me and this car personally. My car is dual duty, as in road course lapping days once a year and the rest of the 10k miles on the street. And for me, I get most of my enjoyment on the street, but a lot of that is because I built the car to go fast on the track, so it keeps my enthusiasm high for ownership use. I guess the same feeling as if you were to street a Ferrari Italia ( which I would hope you would also buy EP or R comp tires for). I currently run NT05 275/315's. Probably move to NT01 next, but that will take another round of suspension tuning to make proper use of so will see when I pull the trigger on that. I guess when I get bored of the current new set up and want to take it to the next level of performance.

Some S2000 owners are perfectly happy with a more factory/traditional equip on this car, im not one of them. Ive had this car for over 13 years and why is because its such a engaging and capable/buildable platform. If I was talking about replacing this car after 13 years with which kind of budget max/all season tires I will buy next, I likely wouldn't feel as enthused about driving and owning this car.

Either you get/understand my spirit or you dont. To each their own I guess. Nothing gets me off more then harnessing high performance, even if I cant use it on the street as much as I would like, its exciting and fun to know its there when i can. The S2000 is what I can afford to do that with. I cant afford a Italia but I can run with them at the road course! But not on 245/max summers

I am with you about checking the right box for your application. Understanding your desired usage before buying something is important.

But...MP tyres aren't "good enough", as if you're buying salt brick tyres for the Yaris you plan on driving to and from the market twice a year. Or "good enough" for commuting without having any soul for anything else.

I doubt most people can or or will ever really SHOULD reach the limit of a good MP tyre on the street for "spirited driving".

Both categories (as with anything else) have their compromises.

I track my S2000 often. I also love to street drive it...but its not daily driven. So I use EP tyres. If I didn't track it...then the downsides of the EP tyres would not merit their use over a good MP tyre (for me).

I also like to mix it up a bit with enthusiastic driving when I find a road that allows it. And I am always taking turns (in any car) in a spirited manner. MP's will more than accomodate this. Even my TSX corners well enough to put a huge smile on my face using MPSS's.

I believe OP said he DOES NOT plan to track this car. I don't see the point of an EP tyre. My wife's AP2 had Kumho SPT's (no longer made). That car was still responsive, fun to drive, handled *light* track duty, and the tyres lasted over 20K, worked well in standing water through their life span, etc. And they were relatively quiet.

My 71R's sound like 71 super swampers. Its not an exaggeration. They is str8 fu%#ing loud AF, M8.

They (just like all the EP tyres I've tried) work like shit in standing water unless they're new.

But...I am impressed with the 71R's compound for tackling wet or damp roads. Its certainly better in water as compared to any other EP tyre. They're still nowhere near as good as a good MP tyre.

Have you tried a good MP tyre? I used to be of the mindset of EP tyres or nothing. Once I tried a good set of MP's, I wouldn't use anything else on a street car that was going to see little to no track use. Both DD's have MPSS's on them, as a matter of fact.

EP tyres do have better dry performance and steering response overall. The advantage grows when measured on on track...but its really not that big of an advantage on the street. Its often pretty similar **not counting the 71R lol.

A good MP tyre like a MPSS or S04 shouldn't ever run out of grip on the street. And the steering response of a S04 and a RS3 are pretty damn close to being the exact freaking same. Hell...the outright grip of a Z2 and MPSS for short stints is probably on par. They do all that without giving up civility, lifespan, and wet traction.

Since you mentioned the Italia....you should google what type/category of tyres it comes with from the factory
Old 04-25-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I liked my rs3 over the nt05. Grip was similar maybe more on nt05 but the rs3 lasted 5x more.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
I liked my rs3 over the nt05. Grip was similar maybe more on nt05 but the rs3 lasted 5x more.
The R-S3s have more grip than the NT05.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:54 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

NT05 looks "extreme" with huge tread blocks, slick center section, and 7.2/32 tread depth new (most EP tires are 8 - 9/32, MP generally 10/32), but the performance is not there according to this test:
Traction Test - The Best 200-Treadwear Tires - Hot Rod Network
Results (2 laps around Tire Rack course)
ZII 56.43
R-S3 56.9
Rival 57.1
RT-615K 57.36
PSS 57.79
RE-11 57.98
NT05 59.37
Old 04-26-2017, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B serious
Have you tried a good MP tyre? I used to be of the mindset of EP tyres or nothing. Once I tried a good set of MP's, I wouldn't use anything else on a street car that was going to see little to no track use. Both DD's have MPSS's on them, as a matter of fact.

EP tyres do have better dry performance and steering response overall. The advantage grows when measured on on track...but its really not that big of an advantage on the street. Its often pretty similar **not counting the 71R lol.

A good MP tyre like a MPSS or S04 shouldn't ever run out of grip on the street. And the steering response of a S04 and a RS3 are pretty damn close to being the exact freaking same. Hell...the outright grip of a Z2 and MPSS for short stints is probably on par. They do all that without giving up civility, lifespan, and wet traction.

Since you mentioned the Italia....you should google what type/category of tyres it comes with from the factory
Agreed. Cold, or even in autocross, the gap between your mid-pack EPs and a good MP like the MPSS, Conti Sport, or Firestone Indy is nearing zero and down to having a good enough driver to exploit the difference.

The difference to me comes down to heat capacity. A good EP tire should be able to hold up to 25-30 minute track sessions in 90 degree weather without much fall-off or durability concerns. Most MP tires just can't hold up for more than around 5 laps on track without a good amount of degradation. note: YMMV here, as some of the category turn out to be autocross specials and get greasy around 15 minutes into track work.

Like you said, unless you are tracking, the civility, lifespan, and real-world wet performance are not worth giving up unless you're chasing podiums in ST class or going to 3+ track days a year.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
NT05 looks "extreme" with huge tread blocks, slick center section, and 7.2/32 tread depth new (most EP tires are 8 - 9/32, MP generally 10/32), but the performance is not there according to this test:
Traction Test - The Best 200-Treadwear Tires - Hot Rod Network
Results (2 laps around Tire Rack course)
ZII 56.43
R-S3 56.9
Rival 57.1
RT-615K 57.36
PSS 57.79
RE-11 57.98
NT05 59.37
Safe to say this is the stiffest constructed tire out of that line up, and therefore rewards very neat driving. Why they chose that car to run the test with is beyond me, but it is what it is. Id like to see some more test. I will be running my own this year at the ridge Motorsports park in WA. My last track day was done on my previous tire set up of 255/295 Kuhmo XS. This year the 275/315 NT05. NT05 run narrow for their sizes and that may also be why they didn't favor as well in the test, being that the 275 is the same width as the 255 Kuhmos XS I had and another 6-8mm wider total in the rear for the 315 over the 295 rather then an honest 20mm you would expect, making them closer to a 305 ( which is why I could squeeze them into my fenders) Overall rolling diameter has shifted up however lengthening the gearing to about 1.5mph at 60mph and added 2lb additional tire weight to each corner. This is my control. Time to beat 2:01.25.

A BBK and rear brake ducting was added this year with the tire change and 5mm increase in ride height to make up new tire height clearance. Will be interesting to see my results. I honestly am not sure what to expect with regard to improvement in cornering speeds, but the limited feedback I've got from the street so far has been encouraging. Will be interesting to see how these tires effect the straightaway speeds. Braking will no doubt be improved some. Whether or not all this adds up to an improvement in laptime or not will be interesting to see. As far as I know I still hold best lap record for NA non wing street tire S2k besides one Jerk from Canada that has me by almost 1 sec, does that count if they are from Canada? In my defense, I run with top down which is never the best option. They say its worth another sec out there. I'm going to test this theory this year also I think.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-26-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman13
Agreed. Cold, or even in autocross, the gap between your mid-pack EPs and a good MP like the MPSS, Conti Sport, or Firestone Indy is nearing zero and down to having a good enough driver to exploit the difference.

The difference to me comes down to heat capacity. A good EP tire should be able to hold up to 25-30 minute track sessions in 90 degree weather without much fall-off or durability concerns. Most MP tires just can't hold up for more than around 5 laps on track without a good amount of degradation. note: YMMV here, as some of the category turn out to be autocross specials and get greasy around 15 minutes into track work. I don't know how this applies on an S2000, I use them on a E46 330i ZHP that runs -2* camber front/rear, which is not enough up front.

Like you said, unless you are tracking, the civility, lifespan, and real-world wet performance are not worth giving up unless you're chasing podiums in ST class or going to 3+ track days a year.
I can confirm that the Indy gets greasy real quick if you push them around for a couple laps and don't listen to them / ignore them, but they will come back in if you back off for a lap. The outer tread block will feather heavily if you push the front around, also.

Some food for thought, the Nexen Sur4 is the same compound as the Hankook RS3v2.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good thing I just got some Sur4 to replace my worn rears. IMO the RS-3 were the best track day tire of the whole bunch if you're considering heat capacity and longevity as primary factors.

Now I just have to kill my rivals up front that still have over half their tread depth.

Quick Reply: RE050 or RE-071R