Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE050 or RE-071R

Old 04-23-2017, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the rs3 still overkill for street driving only? They are rated 200 AA A just like re17r and ad08.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

True^ but they last very long. Mine lasted me 2 years with monthly tracking and daily driving back when they came out. And they are reasonably priced.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:18 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

EP tyres are pointless unless you're going to track them. RE71R, RS3, Z2SS, etc. They're all terrible in wet weather (relatively). The 71R is the best wet tyre out of the bunch...but they're all fairly awful in the grand scheme of things for standing water. They're all noisy. And none of them last long (relatively).

A max performance category tyre is better suited for a street driven S2000.

The MPSS is the best all rounder for sure.

The S04 seems like great option too.

Lots of people like that Firehawk Indy mentioned above.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to join the crowd in echoing the sentiment: extreme performance tires are not worth the trade-offs if you aren't tracking or autocrossing consistently. Even then, max performance tires are good enough to deal with the occasional autocross or track day as long as you're more concerned with having fun than getting on the podium.

Stick with something like the Conti DW Sport, MPSS, S-04, or those Firestones recommended here if the car isn't going to see track time. More tire than that is kind of a waste of money, going to be louder, and be significantly worse in the wet.

Last edited by duffman13; 04-24-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

A lot of sentiment is that EP tyres are "overkill", which signifies "more than you need".

Well...more than you need isn't a bad thing to a lot of people.

But I think "overkill" is an inaccurate word.

EP tyres are NOT SUITED well to street use. They tolerate street use for the sake of traction on a race track. They're just driveable track tyres.

For the sake of their track abilities, you give up quite a bit of civility, wet traction, and life span...which are all more important on a street car.

Those things may not be important to every user, though. And that's fine. That type of user can choose EP tyres at the cost of the aforementioned things. EP tyres return a very high level of performance and feedback. Maybe some people find that absolutely necessary for their street car for some reason.

But statements like, "the S2000 NEEDS an EP tyre" are absurd.

If you're not going to use EP tyres for track or autocross use, then they are the INCORRECT tyres for your application.
The following users liked this post:
duffman13 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ B serious

Agreed. The last tire that was a true dual duty was probably the RE-11/RE-11A. The newer tires are way more focused on lap times at the expense of daily livability, wet traction, and lifespan.

I guess they're fine to daily if you live in SoCal, but otherwise they're too much of a compromise for daily use for 99% of owners.

Personally my S wears extreme performance tires, but I track 4-5 days a year, run a handful of autocrosses, and only drive the car 1-2 times a week if it's nice out, so I can deal with the trade-offs.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pappi16
oh definitely! all i ever hear is mpss are the best tires ever from every person that has them to all these youtube channels, but there have to be just as good if not better less known tires. anyone tried bfgoodrich g-force sport comp-2?
I daily them. An excellent tire that provides plenty of grip, good life, and low noise. Even if you are a more spirited driver like me or want to go canyon carving, they won't let you down.

Isn't the rs3 still overkill for street driving only? They are rated 200 AA A just like re17r and ad08.
The R-S3s will actually last a relatively long time for 200 UTQG tires when only using them for street.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Most Extreme Perf tires are perfectly fine for street-only use. They usually have excellent wet grip, but of course the void ratio is such that hydroplaning will occur sooner vs. most Max Performance tires.

I don;t track the S2k much any more but still running Hankook RS3s.

On the FD, the MPSS I had for it turned evil on me and lost all grip after ~18 mo. to 2 years, to the extent that my Nitto NT01s had much better street grip! I tried RE71R on the FD, but they were not up to the horsepower at the track, so now I run NT01s street and track. I've done long trips on them, with some rain and cool temps, and never any issues. I am careful when there's standing water though...

IMO, Extreme Performance tires are appropriate for street-only use if you want maximum responsiveness and grip. The tradeoffs vs. Max Perf aren't that great if you ask me.

All that said, RE71R might not be the best choice depending on how many miles you expect/need to get out of a set of tires. I get upwards of 20k on RS3s on the S2k. Might onlly get half that with RE71Rs judging from my experience with them on the FD (rears to the treadwear indicators after 1000 miles and one track day).

I'll be looking at RS4 and ZII StarSpec for my next s2k tires.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moss doesn't come in 255/40/17 so unfortunately that's not an option

right now I'm between s04, gforce sport comp-2, Firehawk Indy 500 and continental extreme contact. But my wallet says Firehawk or the gforce comps.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Moss doesn't come in 255/40/17 so unfortunately that's not an option
You meant MPSS? Like I said mine lost all grip over a fairly short time period. And they were OK to start with, but at the end, they were diabolically low-grip. Strange experience with those... IMO they were hugely overrated, but they're being replaced now anyway by the Pilot Sport 4S.

Quick Reply: RE050 or RE-071R