Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE11A vs Pilot Super Sport vs. Rival

Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Water acts as a coolant, much the same as cold weather. A tire that requires 160F or 200F to work and is designed specifically for that temperature range can be hard and unyielding near ambient temperature.

The shoulder of the RE11A seems to have quite a few more grooves than the Michelin. But, yes, as it wears, the RE11A will lose that third groove to a few notches.

I don't know about the rest of you, but generally I only take out the S2000 when it isn't raining. Get caught in a shower now and then...but relatively rarely.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2ka
And now the RE050. Honda and Bridgestone designed these just for the S2000. The rears are wide, the fronts are narrow. Good rear grip, crisp steering response, no fender rubbing. They work good as soon as you fire up the car, no warm up needed. In the corners they break away with consistency so you know what the car is going to do at all times. They're overpriced and not extreme performance, so people bag on them. But after trying almost a dozen different tires on my S I still think they're the best all around street tire if you exclude price, which isn't a big factor for me. I just want the best feeling tire for the car, and that's the RE050 for me.
You make a very good argument. I bought PSS for my car (because it's a DD, not a track car), but I think I may try the RE050 next time if I can still get them. I'll have to be sure to wear the PSS out ASAP.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:33 PM

I haven't tried them back to back, but the RE050 is a 10 year old design. The RE11A was new for 2013. The PSS was new for 2011. All have about the same section width. The RE11A does have the widest front tread (8.3" vs 7.7" on the PSS and 6.7" on the RE050). Rears are much closer.

The RE050 is a popular OEM tire, but I don't think that is because it is a specific design. Tires that are specific OEM designs have extra coding. The RE11A is only available in small sizes; the S2000 stock sizes are among the largest offered. In contrast, the PSS and RE050 come in sizes for much larger and heavier cars. The lack of large sizes is probably why we don't here as much about the RE11A as is written about the PSS and other tires; a lot of current cars have 18", 19", and 20" wheels sizes. There are no RE11As for Mustangs, Corvettes, etc.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

sse2k has had both the PSS and the RE11A on tr same car. Send him a PM and he can tell you the diff. I have the AD08 on my Advans and RE11A on my OEM wheels. AD08 has quick turn in and solid grip. RE11A also handle great in dry/wet conditions and are quieter than most extreme performance tires. For your purpose of AutoX and driving occasionally either of of these would he good tires. Expensive but worth every penny. Both are confidence inspiring. Both look way better in our car than PSS and Rivals (which are ugly). AD08 offer a great JDM look and the RE11A just look plain aggressive. Take a look t my build page as I have close up pics of both.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by grubinski
Originally Posted by s2ka' timestamp='1376061365' post='22715442
And now the RE050. Honda and Bridgestone designed these just for the S2000. The rears are wide, the fronts are narrow. Good rear grip, crisp steering response, no fender rubbing. They work good as soon as you fire up the car, no warm up needed. In the corners they break away with consistency so you know what the car is going to do at all times. They're overpriced and not extreme performance, so people bag on them. But after trying almost a dozen different tires on my S I still think they're the best all around street tire if you exclude price, which isn't a big factor for me. I just want the best feeling tire for the car, and that's the RE050 for me.
You make a very good argument. I bought PSS for my car (because it's a DD, not a track car), but I think I may try the RE050 next time if I can still get them. I'll have to be sure to wear the PSS out ASAP.
Haha, I wouldn't! To me, it was noticeable difference going from RE050's to the RE11a's.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by DavidNJ' timestamp='1378060154' post='22756433
I don't see that much difference in tread design. If anything, the RE11A seems to have more grooves than the Michelin Pilot Sport.
I agree that I wouldn't expect the RE11A and PSS to be hugely different in initial hydroplaning resistance, though it looks to me like the PSS might have a slight advantage:

The Michelin has three wide grooves and a much narrower 4th groove. The Bridgestone has two wide grooves and a 3rd "groove" that is partially blocked due to the bevel of the tread blocks. This blockage will increase with wear, reducing it to two grooves. Past half-worn, I'd bet on the PSS for hydroplaning resistance.

Still, I wouldn't have qualms about dailying the RE11A in warm-weather rainy conditions.

Compound shouldn't make a difference on the slippery surface. Temperature isn't an issue in a Spring/Summer/Fall rain.
Compounds of both tires are very good for warm-weather wet grip. Some tire compounds do, however, seem to suck in the wet (Kumho XS).
The horizontal grooves in the central bands in the PSS will also help to break the water's surface tension and so may reduce the risk of aquaplaning and they look deep enough to last a while, whereas much if the sipping in the bridgestone is quite narrow.

I've added an RE002 above (Bridgestone Max performance tyre) to compare them to.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the RE11A's on my S2000 summer wheels and have been surprised how good and bad they can be. In most summer conditions they are great, quiet, smooth, responsive, great grip... but they do hydro-plane more readily than any performance tires I have used in the past. They are also more temperature sensitive than I have experienced, so a rain dropping the temp drop to the 40's calls for caution... clearly less grip. I will certainly mount my old tires with all seasons for the cold/wet 4 - 5 months.

My experience with the PSS's is on a different car so may not be exactly comparable. The seem to be better in the rain and have outstanding grip but maybe a little less responsive. On a street only car I may favor the PSS in the future.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:57 PM

With the top up, the patter of rain on the top, and peering through the area cleared by the two tiny wipers...I never feel particularly racy. Do you really find them more slippery the regular passenger car tiers or just compared to the PSS?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
With the top up, the patter of rain on the top, and peering through the area cleared by the two tiny wipers...I never feel particularly racy. Do you really find them more slippery the regular passenger car tiers or just compared to the PSS?

I have limited exposure but compared to what I have been using for the last few years (GY F1 DSD3's) these are pretty slippery in the wet.