Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re71r vs rs4

Old 07-04-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruunz
Me too! Are you going to the SMSP Brabham super sprint in august? I was planning to go but i broke my foot and not sure if it will be healed enough by then and i need to figure out a random CEL im getting.

Thanks for the input about the tyres, i got my AD08Rs for $350 a tyre (255/400R17) but i know sometimes there is a 4 for 3 deal. How much for the RS3s generally go for?
Probably not. I go away for a week at the start of August and then have h nats down at Winton at the end of August. I did the last round of the supersprint at Wakefield and was a great day so you should definitely consider it. I'm doing smsp go circuit next week for the Nulon nationals series though.

RS3 are super cheap. Most places are currently doing clearance sales on them (jdmyard had them for $760 for a set of 255/40) so I hope that means the RS4 won't be far off. Usual price though is about $220-$240 a tyre for 255/40 so much cheaper. Than the ad08r.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm one of the few that absolutely love the ad08r's and would not go with any other route. I've tried rs3's and re71's and still would go back to ad08's.

The re71's, in my opinion, took a long time to heat up and get sticky. They are not the type of tires to go heavy footed 1st or even 2nd lap, you'll notice you get more confidence and grip out of them a few laps in. They do start to scale off in terms of performance on extremely hot days but so is the case with most tires. Oh and also the obscene amount of noise these things put out as most re71 owners will tell you (if that's even a factor for you).

The rs3's are great for people that drive to and from the track. They last forever compared to ad08's and re71's as previously mentioned. They do plummet in performance the longer you use them but they work fantastic cold, nearly as good as when you've heated them up. They're also very cheap compared to the other 2. In my opinion, rs3's are in a different category. No offense to anyone here, but if you can't tell the difference in grip when comparing rs3's to the re71's or ad08's then you aren't pushing it to the limits. Fantastic tires nonetheless, I have them for my everyday set and will keep getting them!

All in all, ad08's never fail to give me consistency. That's honestly what I love about them. I don't want to have to think about my tires throughout a hot day's session. They can cool off in the pits after I've had my 10 laps with them.

I do want to make it clear that I am in no way knocking the rs3's or the re71's. They were fantastic tires and there are people that want them for the purposes they pose. rs3's will last but have MUCH better grip when compared to other tires of the same tread depth; re71's in it's optimal window of operating temperature outperforms the ad08's. For me and from what I've experienced, the ad08's fit my needs like a glove.

For reference, I'm in SoCal.
The following users liked this post:
Chris_Lum (01-24-2018)
Old 07-10-2017, 11:57 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I've raced quite a few cars on RA1 Toyo's (Spec Miata, E30, S2k) and these Re71r's are right there! Only downside is they are a little noisy.
I was told by a tire engineer a long time ago, it's just like the saying when building a car but in reference to tires; Grip, Ride quality/refinement, Price.. pick two!
Chibo (07-17-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by eight
I'm one of the few that absolutely love the ad08r's and would not go with any other route. I've tried rs3's and re71's and still would go back to ad08's.

All in all, ad08's never fail to give me consistency. That's honestly what I love about them. I don't want to have to think about my tires throughout a hot day's session. They can cool off in the pits after I've had my 10 laps with them.

About how many street/canyon miles can one get out of a set of AD08R tires?

I love the RE71R, but they wear fast (~9k miles) and the performance trails off when overheated and worn.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
About how many street/canyon miles can one get out of a set of AD08R tires?

I love the RE71R, but they wear fast (~9k miles) and the performance trails off when overheated and worn.
When I did daily these, I'd probably say about the same as the re71's.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Ended up getting on the preorder for the RE71R.
Just did one last event on my A050 and really want something similar in terms of grip compared to my RS3 and the RE71R seems to fall in the middle of the two.
Price wise they are well priced in Australia and come out cheaper than a set of Ad08r which I thought was great!

Hopefully have them soon and can begin testing on them. If I can get them to last a year aka about 9/10 trackdays I'll be very happy with them from a price for performance standpoint. $2500 for a set of A050 that last 6 track days isn't justifiable for me no matter how fast they are haha

I don't do much street driving that isn't driving to and from the track so I won't really have much info on that side of things for guys that will look at this in the future.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Re71r wayyy better.

Rs4 seem to feel the same as the rs3. Little to no difference
Old 07-18-2017, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
Re71r wayyy better.

Rs4 seem to feel the same as the rs3. Little to no difference
Also good to know for the future as ive been quite happy with the rs3 over the years. Will probably try rs4 at some stage
Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We already have the R-S4 in stock for the S2K. In our testing they will not be a quick as the RE71R but they are a little less expensive. If I can help let me know.
RedCelica (07-19-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by eight

The re71's, in my opinion, took a long time to heat up and get sticky. They are not the type of tires to go heavy footed 1st or even 2nd lap, you'll notice you get more confidence and grip out of them a few laps in. They do start to scale off in terms of performance on extremely hot days but so is the case with most tires. Oh and also the obscene amount of noise these things put out as most re71 owners will tell you (if that's even a factor for you).

The rs3's are great for people that drive to and from the track. They last forever compared to ad08's and re71's as previously mentioned. They do plummet in performance the longer you use them but they work fantastic cold, nearly as good as when you've heated them up. They're also very cheap compared to the other 2. In my opinion, rs3's are in a different category. No offense to anyone here, but if you can't tell the difference in grip when comparing rs3's to the re71's or ad08's then you aren't pushing it to the limits. Fantastic tires nonetheless, I have them for my everyday set and will keep getting them!

I do want to make it clear that I am in no way knocking the rs3's or the re71's. They were fantastic tires and there are people that want them for the purposes they pose. rs3's will last but have MUCH better grip when compared to other tires of the same tread depth; re71's in it's optimal window of operating temperature outperforms the ad08's. For me and from what I've experienced, the ad08's fit my needs like a glove.

as someone who has tested about 12 different tires on my s2000 in the last 3 I would have to say the ad08's were probably the most disappointing to me. Considering how many people talk about how amazing they were, they left a lot to be desired. the re71' is without question are the king of the mountain this year and if your primary concern is getting the most out of your vehicle its not even close. The rs4 is a good tire tho, also considerably better than the ad08's, however if performance is your only concern pick the bridgestone, you won't be dissapointed

Quick Reply: Re71r vs rs4