Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Tires for AP1

Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Tires for AP1

Newbie here.

What are the best aftermarket tires for traction, ride quality, and quietness for the AP1? Stock wheels.

My tech says there are not many options for this particular size fitment and wants to sell me Michelin Pilot AS3s, but their treadwear rating is 500. I'm thinking they won't stick too well for the (very) occasional auto-cross.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

firestone firehawk indy500
Old 08-10-2017, 01:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Willingtorev
Newbie here.

What are the best aftermarket tires for traction, ride quality, and quietness for the AP1? Stock wheels.

My tech says there are not many options for this particular size fitment and wants to sell me Michelin Pilot AS3s, but their treadwear rating is 500. I'm thinking they won't stick too well for the (very) occasional auto-cross.
I really like my Hankook v12's, they make stock size and they seem to last me about two summers. I have bought two sets so far since I have owned my s2000.
______
Old 08-10-2017, 03:43 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I think that the new Continental Extremecontact Sport tires might be available in ap1 16" sizes. Not sure. You might want to check that out as an option.

You might also give some thought to moving to ap2 wheels. Some folks prefer the 17" performance and greater tire availability.

Last edited by rpg51; 08-10-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:23 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Willingtorev
Newbie here.

What's the coldest/iciest/snowiest weather you even *might* end up driving in? If you only drive in warmer weather and there's zero chance of ever having to drive it in cold/snow/ice, then you're better off with Summer tires and not the all-seasons your "tech" suggests. He's also wrong about options, there are PLENTY of 205/55-16 225/50-16 tires available. Have a look at Tire Rack for test data and customer reviews.
There are 11 tires in OEM AP1 sizes just in the Extreme Performance Summer and Maximum Perf Summer categories. S2000's came on Maximum Performance Summer tires BTW...
www.tirerack.com
Old 08-10-2017, 05:02 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

The type of tire that will work best for you depends completely on the type driving you do. It would help if you could share a little more about that.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really want to hijjack this thread, but I'm having the same problem atm. Last year, I fitted Uniroyal rainsports in the front (don't ask, I was in a hurry), and now I want new rear tires.

I'd want them to be sticky in the dry, up for some spirited driving with the occasional slide. I'd like them to be progressive on the edge, with a decent feel and thus stiff sidewalls. They may not push the front too much over the rainsports though.

In the wet they need to be comfortable on the highway, and also, I'd like them to be safe for when the girlfriend is driving the car. But I still want to be able to drift the car if I want it too, again, without pushing the front over the rainsports. (That will be the difficult part I guess). I do have a big x brace installed, which may or may not help.

I was thinking about re050's, but I could only find them in RFT variant.
In short I need them to be sticky in the dry, very stiff sidewalls for good feel and progressiveness, but still fun in the wet.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 08-10-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the bridgestone Potenza RE-71 R they come in stock sizes and they have a 200 treadwear so it will be grippy and will also work in the rain. As for the other guy asking about tires, buy a matching set.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Best 2 choices for UHP or MP tires right now from the positive reviews = Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 or Continental Extremecontact Sport

Both are new releases (2016 & 2017) with the latest in tire and compound technology.

I have the Indy 500 and they are very good. I'm sure the Continentals are very/equally good too.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been running yokohama s. drives for years on both my integra and s2k. Even recommended it to my dad, and we all love it. The traction is great on them, doesnt have much road noise, and they last me 30-40k on mostly hard weekend twisties driving. Plus they look great mounted on the ap1 stock wheels, since they have a more rigid and straight side wall.

Quick Reply: Replacement Tires for AP1