Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of eBay AP2V1 Wheels

Old 04-14-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Put a set of competent (but not stupid competent) Bridgestone S-04 tires (or Firestone re-branded S-03 tires) Max Performance on the wheels in 215/255 (or 225/255) and you probably forget wasting spending money on other non-OEM wheels which just look different.

-- Chuck
Old 04-14-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Put a set of competent (but not stupid competent) Bridgestone S-04 tires (or Firestone re-branded S-03 tires) Max Performance on the wheels in 215/255 (or 225/255) and you probably forget wasting spending money on other non-OEM wheels which just look different.

-- Chuck
The Bridgestone S-04 and Michelin Pilot SS are two of my main considerations. The Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2’s are tempting at their current close out price point though. Seems like a lot of tire for the money, without too many negatives.

I’d prefer a stiffer sidewall and I’m betting the S-04’s probably have the lead in that category, but they sacrifice outright grip to the Michelin’s. Decisions, decisions. Still uncertain if I want 255 or 245 in the rear with the 215 fronts. I really need to make a decision by tomorrow end of day.

Last edited by Brady936; 04-14-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Me want!

Awesome thread/review!
Old 04-15-2018, 01:55 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Brady936
... I’d prefer a stiffer sidewall and I’m betting the S-04’s probably have the lead in that category, but they sacrifice outright grip to the Michelin’s.

These wheels and tires are for the street, correct? If so, all modern tires have more then enough outright grip for the intended use. Consider whether, given that current reality, the other characteristics of the tires under consideration are the more important decision making factors. For street driving my opinion is that wet performance is a big factor. I say this even though I honestly avoid rain as much as possible. But, it is impossible to avoid completely and the S can get a bit nervous in the wet even at street driving speeds. Don't ask how I know.

Personally, I find it hard to justify the Michelin's price tag after driving on the S-04s and especially the new Conti's. Whats not to like? Also, I have no personal experience, but the Firestones are reported on these pages to be very good tires, not max performace category, but you would never know it from what I hear. I feel for sure as far as grip goes they have all you need for the street.

EDIT: OP - you might find this report re the new Conti tire to be of interest. http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...act-Sport.aspx

Last edited by rpg51; 04-15-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
These wheels and tires are for the street, correct? If so, all modern tires have more then enough outright grip for the intended use.

For street driving my opinion is that wet performance is a big factor. I say this even though I honestly avoid rain as much as possible. But, it is impossible to avoid completely and the S can get a bit nervous in the wet even at street driving speeds.

Personally, I find it hard to justify the Michelin's price tag after driving on the S-04s and especially the new Conti's. Whats not to like?

EDIT: OP - you might find this report re the new Conti tire to be of interest.
As far as levels of grip go, I suppose it depends on what level of driving you may hit. I’ve exceeded limits in my past cars (240, 300, Miata, MR-2 etc) by breaking them loose. I’m sure tires have gotten better in the 7 years since someone totaled my last car, but not that much. Steering feel is also important.

I definitely wont be driving in the rain, unless caught in it. I’m the same with sport bikes. Wont do track days in the wet and only caught in it a few times on yearly trips to the mountains. I dove the car in the wet when test driving it the first time. It felt ok to me, even with crappy tires. What makes you feel the car is nervous any more than any other sports car in the rain? I know you said not to ask but that just means I’ll ask. Lol

The Michelin’s PSS are actually less expensive than the Bridgestone S-04 by a touch. I’ll check out the Continental article and appreciate the link. However, they didn’t fair so well, in comparison, at Tire Rack.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:11 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

If you are exceeding the limits of grip on public roads with modern summer tires you are driving in a way that I do not drive on pubic roads. So, your needs probably differ. You certainly can't go wrong with the Michelin's. No doubt they are great tires.

As far as rain and the S. I don't mean to say necessarily that it is worse than other sports cars. My prior experience is with older low powered British cars - like the Healys and MGs and Triumphs. I do not have experience driving newer higher powered sports cars. I do think the S is a bit of a hand full by comparison to those old British cars. At least I found it so at the start. But, the bad experience I had was when the S was new to me and I got sideways on the interstate in the rain doing a bunch of really dumb things that i do not blame on the S at all. I am embarrassed t admit that first, I had cruise control on. Second I was going 70 mph. Third, I had very old tires with lousy tread. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I lucked out and nothing bad came of it. Actually, one good thing came of it. It scared the heck out of me, and I learned - or rather re-learned - several important lessons. My sense is that people lose it on wet public roads in the S with some regularity. Probably doing dumb things just like I did.

Last edited by rpg51; 04-15-2018 at 07:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
99MCoupe (12-01-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know the AP1 wheels were made by Enkei. Were all of the AP2 wheels also made by Enkei?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

To your point on the Chinese products and the ones you listed, most of those you listed are companies that reside elsewhere and simply manufacture their products in China, under guidance of the companies quality management system. For example, a lot of medical device components are manufactured in China (I work in medical device development so I will use that). They are held to the quality system processes of the company who developed/owns the product and most times, the manufactures that do this work are in an industrial area of Shenzhen that has a large US/EU presence in those facilities.

That is totally different than a Chinese product manufactured in China. To put it in perspective, I know Chinese engineers that work in some of those facilities, manufacturing medical and aerospace components. When given the option to purchase automated assembly equipment at their locations, they all stated they would not buy it from China ... and would only buy important equipment from the US, Japan or Germany so they knew they would get quality equipment Even the Chinese know when not to buy Chinese So made in China takes on a lot of different meanings depending on the company, industry, etc.

This says nothing about the wheels you purchased since I do not know anything about them. I am just speaking to the comments made and shedding some light.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I know the AP1 wheels were made by Enkei. Were all of the AP2 wheels also made by Enkei?
Yes. They are Honda's supplier (Honda buys wheels).

-- Chuck
Old 04-17-2018, 03:37 PM

BALANCE RESULTS EBAY AP2V1 WHEELS
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires OEM Sizes

I decided on Michelin Pilot SS for the car for a number of reasons. Performance, longevity, ride comfort and even aesthetics were considered. All in all, they’re a great package that really has no negatives for the street. Ordered from Tire Rack late Sunday night and they were delivered Tuesday afternoon.

Rear Balance: Both rears balanced with 1oz each, which is excellent.

Front Balance: One balanced at .75 ounces, which is exceptional and the other front balance perfectly, without weights needed.

At at this point, my overall opinion is that these wheels are of good quality. So far, I have zero negatives to say. Quite the opposite, in fact. Where else could you get a brand new set of wheels for $520 shipped to your door that look as nice as these do? The true test is time but there are zero indicators, at this point, that would lead me to believe that they are any less quality than OEM.

Positives:
$520 shipped to your door and fast
OEM look, exact replica
Perfect initial quality finish
Perfect balance
Exact weight of OEM wheels

Negatives:
Made in China

Yet to determine:
Longevity of finish
Structural integrity over time (though all SAE national and international regulations are met)

There you have it. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Quick Reply: Review of eBay AP2V1 Wheels