Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of eBay AP2V1 Wheels

Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
You realize you do EXACTLY what you're trying to criticize, right?
I absolutely realize I do the exact same thing. Read my posts. I'm laughing at myself, not OP. No criticism intended whatsoever. I'm just making an observation about human nature.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
...everyone needs to buy 17x9 Advans or else they're just lighting their money on fire /sarcasm
I have to admit that the RG2’s and RG3’s look pretty groovy.
The following users liked this post:
john d (05-12-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The caution on the wheels says that certain soaps and chemicals may damage the finish on the wheels. Is there a good coating that could be applied to the wheels for additional protection, such as an epoxy-based clear coating? The best time to apply this would be on brand new wheels such as these.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by kschoenefeld
The caution on the wheels says that certain soaps and chemicals may damage the finish on the wheels. Is there a good coating that could be applied to the wheels for additional protection, such as an epoxy-based clear coating? The best time to apply this would be on brand new wheels such as these.
Most wheels say the same thing, regardless of manufacturer. I almost want to say my owners manual says the same but don’t quote me on it. It’s just to protect them from people using excessive cleaners that contain acidic compounds which may discolor the finish. Regular car soap and water should do fine. Those heavy duty cleaners aren’t something I like to use on any wheel, but to each their own. The finish on these appears to be as good of quality as any other OEM wheel I’ve ever had.

I haven’t washed my motorcycle in at least five years and only washed the S the day after I brought it home. Both look flawlessly clean. I just don’t drive in the rain and wipe it down with detailer every single time I drive it, including the wheels. If it wasn’t for the top, I’d probably never wash it. Even so, it’ll see washing maybe once a year.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 1,309 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
I think you might be missing my point. Why do we all seem to want something other than the OEM wheels? Don't get me wrong - I did the exact same thing.
Well, to be fair, he didn't buy bling. He bought wheels that are identical to stock wheels. He also wasn't trying to alieve buyers remorse via fanboi sales pitch, as he did all his research up front. I agree with you though that we all do that. I know I do (but I'm so budget limited I often talk myself out of it).

I applaud his diligent research and his detailed and honest reporting of all he has learned and observed regarding these wheels. He has done a service to the community.

I also admire his restraint and reasoned response to what I feel is unwarranted criticism for those efforts (this isn't aimed at rpg here). I don't think I could have been as professional.

We need more of this sort of reviewing and reporting, so all can benefit. We need to hear the good, the bad, the ugly.
The following users liked this post:
kschoenefeld (05-12-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I agree.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

But...but...but... these wheels were were made in PRC (China) and sold on Ebay and everyone on the Internet knows only complete crap, and dangerous Chinese crap at that, is sold on Ebay! Heck anything made anywhere that's sold on Ebay is dangerous, shoddy, and should be avoided completely. And we laughed at Chicken Litttle! The sky IS falling.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:59 PM

[left]
Originally Posted by Car Analogy
...I applaud his diligent research and his detailed and honest reporting of all he has learned and observed regarding these wheels. He has done a service to the community.

I also admire his restraint and reasoned response to what I feel is unwarranted criticism for those efforts (this isn't aimed at rpg here). I don't think I could have been as professional.

We need more of this sort of reviewing and reporting, so all can benefit. We need to hear the good, the bad, the ugly.
Thank you for the kind words. The intention was to provide a well-reasoned look at these wheels and provide a resource for those looking to purchase them. As always, your mileage may vary, but this was my experience and I intend to update over time. Hopefully this information will provide some clarity to others, one way or the other.

And Chuck, thanks for the tip
Old 05-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Supersports mounted on the replica AP2V1 wheels last week at a local tire and wheel installer I've been going to for years. The owner remarked how amazing the quality of the wheels appeared to be and asked me where I had purchased them. I took the wheels home and mounted them on the car. On the rear right wheel I did have a bit of a clearance issue when tightening two of the lug nuts, as though the hole was not perfectly centered or as if the diameter of the holes is a bit too small. I was able to tighten the lug nuts fully but I suppose I am not 100% satisfied due to this issue. The wheels do look great however. I have always been a fan of nice stock wheels. Aftermarket wheels always feel to me like they don't match the aesthetic of the car and in my mind reduce the value of a car. Now if you bought a car with steel wheels and plastic hubcaps...heck, any aftermarket aluminum wheel will look and be better than that. Tires are another story. Sticky Summer tires totally transform a car and certainly did in this case. On my favorite twisty roads I keep pushing harder and harder but find it hard to reach the traction limits of these tires. The traction and stability control was often going off with the all season "performance" Continentals that were on the AP1 16" wheels previously.

Last edited by lessdeth; 05-11-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brady936
What does it say on the lip to the right of the picture?

Quick Reply: Review of eBay AP2V1 Wheels