Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shop fu^ked up on powdercoating job

Old 01-26-2006, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shop fu^ked up on powdercoating job

well i had my wheels powder coated by a large powdercoating company in the area a few months ago, when i got my tires mounted the lip of one wheel chipped, and i thought it was the mounters fault, slowly each wheel started to chip. i contacted the company and they swore up and down they stripped and sand blasted the wheel. finally i decided to tap the wheel with a wooden stick to see if i could chip it and what do you know, chipped no problem....whats even worse is i could see the stock finish under the bronze paint. i contacted them again saying "why is the stock finish still on my wheels....must be the primer, was their answer. Next i take the wheels to 2 powdercoating shops and both of them have the same answer "theres no way they stripped the wheel". I dropped off the wheel to the shop to have them strip and sand blast the wheel, and re-do the finish. They said they will re-do it for free but im almost considering having them strip and blast the wheel and then take the wheels to another shop, just becuase i dont know if they will do it right even this time. what do you guys think? on a side note, i have toyed with the idea of polishing my wheels (NOT chrome at all, but a shiny silver) if i wanted to have another shop polish the wheels how should i tell this powdercoating shop to prep my wheels? here are how the wheels looked....should i keep this color, go back to stock or go to a dark grey? let me know thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My opinion - FWIW - is to go with the polishing - great idea. Much easier and less worry.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you've been had. I'm of the understanding that when powder coating, you sandblast it to the metal and apply the color powder. I don't think there is a primer.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am dealing with this very same prob. my wheels(oem) are slowly flaking. feel for you bro, its very frustrating!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:54 PM

yea, they finally admitted that they didnt blast the wheel. im leaning towards having the wheel polished, but i just need to know how i should tell these guys to prep the wheel....should a wheel be sand blasted before its polished, or just stripped? thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where those rims powder coated before? My rims where powder coated from the manufacturer, so when I had them powder coated the guy used something like steel wool to scuff up the powder coat then he sand blasted it before powder coating it.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:56 PM

yea, i think that volks/most wheels are powdercoated because if not they would corrode very easily. when it comes to polishing, im kind of in a tough place because polished alum looks so close to chrome many times, so im worried the polished will look chrome, im gonna run around this forum/ the net and see what other options i have. but if somone knows how a wheel should be prepped before it goes to a polisher,

2. also once a wheel is polished what is involved in the upkeep of the shine, is it labor intensive?
Old 01-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by news2kroller,Jan 26 2006, 10:54 PM
yea, they finally admitted that they didnt blast the wheel. im leaning towards having the wheel polished, but i just need to know how i should tell these guys to prep the wheel....should a wheel be sand blasted before its polished, or just stripped? thanks.
Get them bead blasted, it won't damage the metal.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:28 PM

YEA, Im trying to decide wether to have the wheels polished or powdercoated again. If i call the shop and tell them im going to have the wheels polished, how should i tell them to prep the wheels. also how much of a PITA is it to keep up the polished alum? thanks guys.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

polishing aluminum is a royal pita. It gets dull pretty fast and polishing takes forever. Especially if you have a lot of ridges like your wheels. If you have the shop redo the wheels, them that you want to inspect the wheels before they get powdercoated again. That way you can see exactly what they're putting the powdercoat on.