Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, but need help with "The Basics"

Old 06-01-2017, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, but need help with "The Basics"

Hi everyone,

I am hoping you all don't mind "dumbing it down" for me a bit. I have a '07 that needs new rear tires. I have been reading the forums trying to get an idea of what people are recommending but I think you all are a bit more advanced than me (I love the car but probably don't know enough about cars as I should and I even know less about tires).

I live just outside of Philadelphia and use the car mostly as a weekend fun car (no track time). I don't put a lot of miles on it but when I do I drive somewhat aggressively in the right conditions but nothing crazy. Just looking for a tire that handles well and can tolerate a good rain if it pops up.

As I read through the posts here there are a lot of discussions that I am not sure how to apply my tire search:
1) Is there a "proper" size?
2) Same with tread width
3) Is it recommended to replace all 4 tires vs. just the rear?

Again, sorry for the basics. Any help either with actual tire recommendations or just to answer the questions above is genuinely appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer

Flagg
Old 06-01-2017, 06:02 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I would replace all four, just because that's how I am.

OEM Sizing is 215/45/17 front, 245/40/17 rear.

I'd keep that sizing if everything else on the car is stock.

Assuming the car is only driven in warm conditions, I'd run one of these three:

-Firestone Indy 500
-Continental ExtremeContact Sport
-Michelin Pilot Super Sport
The following users liked this post:
kernalflagg (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

^I agree with just about everything here.

I like using a sizing of 225/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear, for extra contact patch and looks. It might dull the steering slightly. But...then again, often times, even just replacing tyres with new ones will dull the steering too. That's simply because new tyres have full tread. Variables exist, obviously.
kernalflagg (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Hey and welcome to s2ki! Did you happen to read this sticky? https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-t...-guide-342793/ It does cover what you're asking, but you've got some good replies here too. Set yourself a budget and see if you can find what you want within it. Hankook RS4s are also great summer-only tires and are relatively inexpensive. Since you don't put a lot of miles on the car, you can get a stickier tire for your money's worth. I'd personally replace all 4, different tires front to rear may make the car handle funny. A lot of guys run the "UK" alignment as well, which helps the car handle more appropriately.
kernalflagg (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Hey and welcome to s2ki! Did you happen to read this sticky? https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-t...-guide-342793/ It does cover what you're asking, but you've got some good replies here too. Set yourself a budget and see if you can find what you want within it. Hankook RS4s are also great summer-only tires and are relatively inexpensive. Since you don't put a lot of miles on the car, you can get a stickier tire for your money's worth. I'd personally replace all 4, different tires front to rear may make the car handle funny. A lot of guys run the "UK" alignment as well, which helps the car handle more appropriately.
RS4 doesn't line up real well with this:

"I live just outside of Philadelphia and use the car mostly as a weekend fun car (no track time). I don't put a lot of miles on it but when I do I drive somewhat aggressively in the right conditions but nothing crazy. Just looking for a tire that handles well and can tolerate a good rain if it pops up."

I bought RT615K+ for my AP1 that doesn't see track time & regret it. Would be much happier with PSS all around. Don't want OP to repeat my mistake.
kernalflagg (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

One rule of thumb is not to mix/match tires on the S2000. RedCelica doesn't know anything right Brett. No just kidding he's a great guy man. I have done the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and have enjoyed them for awhile. With you living up north the car will be in hibernation during the winter months. So pick up some good summer tires and enjoy. Yeah welcome to S2KI man. "Drive it like you stole it" Later BD
The following 2 users liked this post by Bama Dave:
kernalflagg (06-01-2017), RedCelica (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
One rule of thumb is not to mix/match tires on the S2000. RedCelica doesn't know anything right Brett. No just kidding he's a great guy man. I have done the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and have enjoyed them for awhile. With you living up north the car will be in hibernation during the winter months. So pick up some good summer tires and enjoy. Yeah welcome to S2KI man. "Drive it like you stole it" Later BD
Love you too, B!
kernalflagg (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
RS4 doesn't line up real well with this:

"I live just outside of Philadelphia and use the car mostly as a weekend fun car (no track time). I don't put a lot of miles on it but when I do I drive somewhat aggressively in the right conditions but nothing crazy. Just looking for a tire that handles well and can tolerate a good rain if it pops up."

I bought RT615K+ for my AP1 that doesn't see track time & regret it. Would be much happier with PSS all around. Don't want OP to repeat my mistake.
"Weekend fun car," "not a lot of miles," "somewhat aggressive"...if the RS4 isn't good for this I'm not sure what is.
kernalflagg (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
^I agree with just about everything here.

I like using a sizing of 225/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear, for extra contact patch and looks. It might dull the steering slightly. But...then again, often times, even just replacing tyres with new ones will dull the steering too. That's simply because new tyres have full tread. Variables exist, obviously.
I second the 10mm wider tires, should fit just fine in the stock wheels, a bit more grip, and I personally like the chunkier look it'll give.
kernalflagg (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

I went for the 225/255. Glad I did
kernalflagg (06-01-2017)

Quick Reply: Sorry, but need help with "The Basics"