Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: I'm thinking of these two for my 16" wheels, MY '01
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs
73.68%
Bridgestone Potenza S-02
26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Which of These Two?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Which of These Two?

I will need to replace my rear tires soon, maybe within two weeks. I had a pair of Falken FK452 put on the front in March, some 7,000 miles ago, but now I'll need to replace the rears. I have been told that my rears are a bit of older rubber (a set I bought used for the wheels in some future race or autocross planning I'm dreaming about), but should be OK for a cruise-type trip though the Devil's Highway drive with the S2K group coming up next month, and that they are not good for hard spirited driving. I'm not trained yet for performance driving, so I'll be taking it easier, any way.

I have the 16" wheels on a MY'01 S, so I'm considering the OEM Bridgestone Potenza S-02 or the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs. The new Michelin Pilot Super Sport doesn't seem to come in my size.

Star Specs are less expensive, but Tire Rack won't have the rears available in time for me. If I could find them, so that both would be available, which set would you pick, and why? Should I just get two rear tires or replace all four?

Note, I've been out of work for three months, but I've been saving a few pennies to go on this weekend trip. My funds are limited.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in the same boat but currently have bridestone re050 all around. I am looking at switching to the starspecs but with winter coming and people saying they don't do that well in the wet I am thinking maybe stick with re050? I have also been looking at the Bridgestone re-11 which seem to have good reviews on tirerack.com
Old 09-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Since you won't be taking the car all out, why not buy a slightly cheaper tire that's a little easier on the pocket book. The Hankook V12s seem highly recommended. You could switch out all 4 corners and sell the Falcons.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If funds allow, I'd go with the Dunlops all four at once.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:33 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

S02's are a bad idea. Stupid expensive, and there are better tires available (particularly for wet grip).

Little point to getting StarSpecs in your situation, IMO. Honestly, I'd only recommend low-void Extreme Perf tires for people who don't drive in the rain and are doing a fair amount of autoX/HPDE.

You can get Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 mentioned above for $92/ea in 225/50-16 from Tire Rack. I'd probably go that route.

How much would matching FK452s cost?

Whole mess of 225/50-16s that might be appropriate match for FK452:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...50&diameter=16
Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Since you won't be taking the car all out, why not buy a slightly cheaper tire that's a little easier on the pocket book. The Hankook V12s seem highly recommended. You could switch out all 4 corners and sell the Falcons.
Mark I agree with this post. Star Specs are way more tire than you need and will use, especially for just some spirited driving. If you do ever get to do an autocross or track day the tires(V12) will be just fine and if you get hooked on tracking THEN go buy the expensive good rubber. Also remember tires like the Star Spec wear out much faster.

I would never replace the rear tires with a different tire then what is on the front. Maybe if it was only a very temporary thing. For instance the size you want is back ordered so for the time being you order just rears and when the matching fronts are in stock you buy and install them. So either buy matching rears, or buy 4 tires.

I would invest in a better tire than what you currently have, and I would replace all four. It would not be safe for a novice S2000 driver to mess with different compounds of tire front to rear. A lot of locals run the V12's and the Sumitomos.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 PM

Is the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 mentioned above for $92/ea in 225/50-16 (and $88/ea for the fronts) from Tire Rack on all four wheels, a better tire for me then picking up two Falken FK452 for the rear to match the Falken's on the front?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM

If you have tread left on the front FK452s, keep them til they're getting close to the wear bars, and get comparable or better performing tires for the rear. V12s fit that description easily. Two new rear V12s, done.

When mixing fronts/rears you generally want to be sure that the rears have equal or *better* performance characteristics than the fronts, particularly in worst-case conditions. I wouldn't worry at all about FK452 fronts with Hankook V12 rears.

No compelling reason to spend more than you need to here, IMO.

Would be another story if we were talking about putting crap rear tires on the car.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:47 AM

So the Potenza 02 are good, but too expensive compared to the competition.

Is there a rating list somewhere that would tell me what tires are good for the S and which are crap?

The rubber may be good on the fronts that I have now, but if the tire is not one that YOU would buy, does that make it a crap tire?

Is this really a subjective evaluation? I see that I have a lot to learn about tires since I got my S.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 AM

Tire Rack survey results for 225/50-16 tires in Extreme Performance, Maximum Performance, and Ultra High Performance categories.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...wdp=N&showcm=N

You can also find objective test data for many tires on the Tire Rack site.

Quick Reply: Which of These Two?